Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #31
Behslayer

Re: The Lost Boys... another Monobloc production

Yes, that's why I figured in your case without the appendages, that's a compact little number that pins in place. Whack off that Tail and it can drop into your Palms papoose.. though it is wider than the Neptonics. Just put a grinder to that thing. I have a few mock ups here just 12" cuts from stocks where I've thought through tolerances. Really lends itself most to some kind of reinforcement either Metal or composite if you will keep the wings and tail and get's real thin around thumb and knuckle, but to drop and pin into the grip give a trim.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #32
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
Yes, that's why I figured in your case without the appendages, that's a compact little number that pins in place. Whack off that Tail and it can drop into your Palms papoose.. though it is wider than the Neptonics. Just put a grinder to that thing. I have a few mock ups here just 12" cuts from stocks where I've thought through tolerances. Really lends itself most to some kind of reinforcement either Metal or composite if you will keep the wings and tail and get's real thin around thumb and knuckle, but to drop and pin into the grip give a trim.
Hmmm. This isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard. How would I align the pin perfectly? ...probably have to make a template.

I think you’ll enjoy the way I made it work. I just did not enjoy the process at all. Everything about it, from the wings to tail and width seem almost purposefully designed to be a PITA
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #33
Behslayer

You'd need to do it on the Square or make a U jig where you drop in one side of the U into the Mechpocket and the other side is parrallel. Both have aligned trigger holes. You make these out of very hard wood like Ipe so it can act like a guide a few times.

Yes lets see these pics. I always like the stuff you are making and the shadowplay in the photos.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #34
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
You'd need to do it on the Square or make a U jig where you drop in one side of the U into the Mechpocket and the other side is parrallel. Both have aligned trigger holes. You make these out of very hard wood like Ipe so it can act like a guide a few times.

Yes lets see these pics. I always like the stuff you are making and the shadowplay in the photos.
Yeah I could make a jig easy enough. My other concern is that there’s only 1 potential pin hole I see. The mech doesn’t have a flat bottom like a normal mech (another design headache), so I’m not sure it would sit as stable as I’d like to imagine.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #35
Behslayer

Quit teasing us and give a peek. Just a little look.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #36
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
...it also depends on how you use the mech too. I suspect most will just stick it on top of the gun like the abellan. I’m actually sinking it into the handle so that I can align the handle and shaft. Big difference in technical difficulty....

Not every trigger is created equal. These Ermes sub mechs don’t sit the same as the old Abellan triggers. The Abellan mech was made to sit on top and still be flush (level with the shaft). When (if) Abellans end up coming with the Ermes mechs you can guarantee they will lie flat. I also can guarantee guns aren’t “popped out of a computer” as easily as you probably think. A 3d shape as complicated theirs would probably by a 7-8 hour machine time plus hours of finish sanding, hundreds of hours of 3d design, toolpathing, etc. I used to think it was easy too...wow was I wrong. I certainly appreciate a hand made gun and your guns are works of art. But I look at It a little differently. Some people want a tool that is accurate down to .001” when it comes to mech positioning, track straightness, recessed hardware, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #37
spearq8

On a new gun where you have the stock still square, it is pretty easy to do the cuts for the track and mech pocket and even wings , very accurately. You can sink the mech about 6.5mm if you groove out mini slots for the track and shaving off 2mm inside you would have the mech sit absolutely flat. Now on an existing build ... obviously things are much more difficult as you don't have a square stock, but it is doable with some effort. I first put a level meter on the track and prop up the gun where it is absolutely level on flat table. You can also use the track to do a cross level and if you have another flat area at back top you can check double check level there. This gives you a good starting point and you then reshape your mech pocket fine tune wings and back end fit. For leveling the wings I just used 2 identical spacers on each wing and run a level over them while tuning. For the back of the mech you can put level in direction of the track to fine tune. In my case it was not so difficult as I was using carbon fiber and I just put a tuned taped up mech and fit it perfectly over the CF and vacuumed and the CF and epoxy made the fit permanent With wood this would be much more difficult and you probably would need to use some epoxy with filler if you need to infill some areas.

Of course there area always advantage of a pinned trigger, it is really streamlined and low profile. But a leaf trigger has a big advantage in that it allows you to have the flexibility to tune different shafts for perfect fit by simply adding or removing tiny washers. Maybe Mario will come up with a pinned trigger as that is a lot easier to make and probably cheaper to produce.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #38
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
any chance of posting a shot with hand on trigger of one of yr Lost Boys Dr P?

as you’ve mentioned, taking handle up really high introduces even more variables to the existing mix of angles, rotation, trigger height, thumb height. especially with a new mech

it’s a great learning curve, but there’s a point where need to lock down some of those variables, so can actually finish a stock, get the bloody thing in the water, and retrain your brain to aim thru those new angles

I suspect that was actually Majd's real reason behind sheathing those Abellans of his, to stop yrself continually bloody tinkering with em

Granted, really optimised handle config is always going to be pretty unique to that person, but am really interested to see where your thumb has ended up. thanks!

BTW, treated myself to a cordless Dremel 8220. what a bloody great tool for carving guns! just need to pick up a spare battery and i can do all this stuff sitting under a tree on the beach
I'm sorry it took so long, it's not that I don't want to, I just rarely have a chance to sit down at my home computer.

The mechanism actually sits deep in the handle. The "high point" of the gun is the loading butt. It tapers down into the mechanism, which then tapers down into the track. You can see that my hand sits high on the gun, but it effectively sits even higher because the mech is set into the handle, not "on top" of it. This also obviously mean the handle sits higher relative to the shaft. For me, aligning the crux of the handle with center mass of the shaft is the goal.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #39
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
I'm sorry it took so long, it's not that I don't want to, I just rarely have a chance to sit down at my home computer.
IMG
The mechanism actually sits deep in the handle. The "high point" of the gun is the loading butt. It tapers down into the mechanism, which then tapers down into the track. You can see that my hand sits high on the gun, but it effectively sits even higher because the mech is set into the handle, not "on top" of it. This also obviously mean the handle sits higher relative to the shaft. For me, aligning the crux of the handle with center mass of the shaft is the goal.
thanks mate!

Last edited by kavachi; 10-09-2017 at 07:25 PM.
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #40
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks mate!
Old 11-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #41
fishmustdie
Power's on!

, wow, just wow. You are an artist Dr. P

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #42
Straits

Beautiful work. I love these build posts you put together and the functional art you've created. Photography is also a skill you obviously have a handle on.
Thanks for sharing.
Straits is offline   Reply With Quote