Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
RBainer

Re: Hunt shafts

all of my 8.5 mm hunt shafts have a doghouse on them

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #17
TVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post

The shafts I tested were from DeepBlue but Andrea said they were made by Paulo from Hunt to his specs. As for shafts, I tried one over under 7.5mm with faceted shaft ... it did not have a flopper so I added one. But it was shooting inside 1 inch groups @ 5 meters with the facets. The rest tab has a nice hole which you tie your line to ... this tab is fully welded all around for maximum strength. This is the best location to tie your line to as it gives best shaft stability. The floppers and pin are super hardened ... a lot of material research was done to get the floppers dogtooth proof (if that is possible). Problems was that large dogtooth tuna were bending the floppers and the pin area would widen a little and the floppers would come off the pin ... this has been fixed by welding the pin and still keeping a thick "mushroom" behind the weld to prevent the flopper from popping off under extreme stress. Also some special crimpers were developed to tune the floppers ... just a small tap on the shaft and both floppers will lock. The production shafts will have TIG welded 316 cones ... now that is a first and should be really nice.
Where are these coned shafts going to be available from Majd?
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #18
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBainer View Post
all of my 8.5 mm hunt shafts have a doghouse on them
thanks for the advice mate! will persist with enquiries to Hunt
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #19
spearq8

These are being made by Hunt with collaboration with Andrea from Deep Blue, so you can get them direct in Europe from there. Harry or Greek Diver is the dealer for those shafts in the US. The SS cones are nice as they are welded on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunt SS cone.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	234825  
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #20
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
These are being made by Hunt with collaboration with Andrea from Deep Blue, so you can get them direct in Europe from there. Harry or Greek Diver is the dealer for those shafts in the US. The SS cones are nice as they are welded on.
I am not the dealer. I just ordered a ton of them of them.

Should be here for sure in less than 2 weeks.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #21
TVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
I am not the dealer. I just ordered a ton of them of them.

Should be here for sure in less than 2 weeks.
Any of these coming in 7mm x 140cm Harry?
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #22
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

If you're ordering Hunt 'Dogtooth Special' 8.5mm shafts, suggest ensuring details are confirmed clearly with them, i guess something lost in translation thus mine came with standard tail [instead of the short Abellan tail] and without doghouse, just the drilled loading tab.

Easy job to mod the shaft tail [and get perfectly optimised for Ermes dbl roll mech in the bargain ] per pic below, but will have to live without the doghouse. Have tried all sorts of things to prevent crimped cable or mono loop wrapping round the back of the loading tab but no joy yet, just have get used to clearing it before loading

With the tail optimised for Ermes dbl roller mech I've got 146cm bandstretch to rear tab [larger tabs on this shaft so running two bands on the rear tab] with very short bridles, and line wrapover holds the top flopper down nicely.

With the four bigger tabs, double ultra heavy duty floppers, no recess, and the big TIGd cone, this is a hefty shaft, but range with three 14.5 small ID bands at 4X is MAAAAD! Looking forward to trying those 15mm small IDs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4852.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	235446   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857-2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	235447  
Old 09-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #23
greekdiver

I will post some pics tonight of shafts.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #24
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
............With the tail optimised for Ermes dbl roller mech I've got 146cm bandstretch to rear tab [larger tabs on this shaft so running two bands on the rear tab] with very short bridles, and line wrapover holds the top flopper down nicely.....
my next build for this shaft is 2cm longer, with first inch or so of muzzle track sanded flat to allow the top flopper to fit further inboard, but still be secured firmly by the wrapover. Also keeps bottom flopper closed as tip rests on end of track, not essential, but nice for keeping things low profile up front.

That brings the bandstretch up to 148, pretty decent for a gun only thats only 157cm long, and still easy to load all day

Last edited by kavachi; 10-01-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #25
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:

Best shafts I have seen. I carry lots of sizes and flavors
yes nice shafts but very difficult communication with Paolo and delivery delays are ha ha ha !!

z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
greekdiver

I only waited 5 months for shafts
Old 10-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #27
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Quote:
I only waited 5 months for shafts
this means you were "lucky" because 5 months is a short delay !

i am still awaiting to receive batch of shafts paid mid april 2017 ( should be there in UPS oct 18 th 2017 )

and a part from this order are shafts re made to replace some not correctly delivered as my special request paid in December 2016 ..
so 5 month i ll sign for next order! ha ha!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #28
spearq8

Those shafts are nice ... I got to try out a sample a couple of months ago. They have a welded cone and some extra welding to the shark fins ... also a rest tab with line attachment. But most important change was to the flopper. Big dogtooth were breaking off all the floppers. With normal pins the pin would bend and flopper would come off. With welded pins the pin metal was apparently hardening and causing it to be brittle and then would break off. Here the pin metal was changed to avoid uncontrolled tempering and the pins are both welded and hammered. At least that is what I was told. Apparently this makes the flopper much more resistant to break off. Is it "dogtooth proof"?? ... this remains to be seen but at least it is a good effort to deal with a problem.

I was also shown the new Hunt slip tip shaft with integrated tube on the shaft. This is what I think will be a major game changer. A slip tip is a force multiplier but the problem has always been accuracy. If this can be solved that would be really useful.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #29
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

[quote=spearq8;2153453 . Big dogtooth were breaking off all the floppers

Is it "dogtooth proof"?? ... this remains to be seen but at least it is a good effort to deal with a problem [/QUOTE]

i presume what you call " big dogtooth for you are 20 to 25 kgs ! "

i wonder why even 70 kgs dogtooth never broke some my spearmaster single flopper without any stupid cone , i did pin on my Spearmaster shafts myself !

ho ho may be ? because when i am ordering my shafts there , i special request some few things that you even do not know about , and this is normal for a pool man spearo ! do not worry i ll not share any good info with you as you are way behind to understand , and before you d better , as already said , to improve yr spearfishing actions .( even the ones from Ascencion island were not showing good results ) ha ha !

Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #30
AEgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
when i am ordering my shafts there , i special request some few things that you even do not know about
If this is true... then why don't you contribute something positive here for once in your life and just tell us what they are?