Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
Bigski

Re: Newest HeadHunter Boat

absolutely gorgeous! form and function over beauty but you nailed all 3!
Bigski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #32
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
Rumor has it that Yamaha is about to come out with an outboard in the 425hp range.
Sweet.....Here's a tie-in to that. I had Savov Boats build the Wheelhouse for her, pretty much like the one he did for my Contender. I was at his shop one day and there was a guy hanging around that felt like commenting on everything, even though he really shouldn't have been talking. ( sometimes in life it's better to keep quite and let them think you're an idiot then open your mouth and confirm it) I'm sure you guys all know the type....anyway, he asked what I was powering it with, maybe a pair of 250's? When I replied a pair of 350's, he screeched "350's!!! Why would you put 350's on her"??? I replied while staring into his little beady eyes "because Yamaha doesn't make 450's !" He left shortly after.

Yeah, 7 marines 557 will def accelerate the climb to bigger engines. Looking forward to it!

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:14 AM   #33
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

I'm sure they could easily get 425 HP out of the current 5.3 Liter 350HP engine. A 5.3 425HP engine would be about 80HP per liter....Suzuki's 300's are at 75HP per liter and have been since 2007. Probably lots more examples out there, but I'd be willing to bet that Yammi's got some 450-500HP versions of their 5.3 running around somewhere.

Hhmmmnnn...a 450 HP V-8 with twin counter rotating props...might start playing the lottery if they come out with those!

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #34
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wow! The boat is a beauty Dan. Good job!

Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #35
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

great layout. super dive boat.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #36
MelbourneMark

Beautiful Boat!

You said the hull is based on a 80s/90s boat. Is this hull new from the bottom up?
MelbourneMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #37
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Mark, I bought the hull only. Stringers and transom were installed, completely open hull. Everything else we built or had built. The transom was a full design, designed for either bracketed Outboards or I/O's originally. We notched it down for 30" engines as I'm not a huge bracket fan.

This hull was based on the Original Corsa 41' Offshore Racing Hull, which Tempest based their 44' Hull on. I know Tampa Yacht Manufacturing is currently building the Tempest 44' again in Tampa, but that boat appears primarily geared towards military or LEO applications. I also heard that Rabco marine has acquired the Corsa 41 molds and will be producing hulls based on that.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
daramos13

that is an AWESOME boat!! Amazing desing, form, function, and vision. I'm not a tank diver but I can't imagine all the variations you could do to the cockpit area to suite ones needs! Friggin AWESOME boat man... probably my favorite rebuild other than SeaCraft Potter built re-do's these are neck and neck...
If i could ask why did you choose the Tempest 44' hull at the end? How is the ride, how does it handle the slop, can it be used for fishing (drift & troll)? Also if you don't mind me asking how much does one of these rebuilds run?
daramos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #39
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

daramos13. Thanks for the interest. It's just a great Hull design and it's length and beam dimensions are exactly what I needed.

The ride so far has been amazing, tracks like it's on rails. Haven't had it in any rough stuff yet, but the hull has a reputation of being a gem in heavy seas. It seems very stable for a 25 degree V, putting 3 guys on the rear gunnel didn't bother it at all. I'll be diving it pretty soon and will know a lot more than I do right now.

As far as cost, that's a tough question. NOT counting 6 months of labor, maybe 50-70K in the Hull, plus electronics, plus a trailer and of course, plus engines. Depends on what you want done, and how much you can do yourself really. I could see doing one from between 100-200K depending on all the variables. With a set of 350's running 50-60K or 3-250's running 75K it's pretty easy to spend some major cash on power.

Most of these boats were set up with twin diesels and surface drives. It might be less expensive to repower the diesels and R-R the drives.

I'll def keep up with this thread and post some real world figures when I obtain them.

Best, Dan

Old 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #40
jstbecauz

Send a message via AIM to jstbecauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
daramos13. Thanks for the interest. It's just a great Hull design and it's length and beam dimensions are exactly what I needed.

The ride so far has been amazing, tracks like it's on rails. Haven't had it in any rough stuff yet, but the hull has a reputation of being a gem in heavy seas. It seems very stable for a 25 degree V, putting 3 guys on the rear gunnel didn't bother it at all. I'll be diving it pretty soon and will know a lot more than I do right now.

As far as cost, that's a tough question. NOT counting 6 months of labor, maybe 50-70K in the Hull, plus electronics, plus a trailer and of course, plus engines. Depends on what you want done, and how much you can do yourself really. I could see doing one from between 100-200K depending on all the variables. With a set of 350's running 50-60K or 3-250's running 75K it's pretty easy to spend some major cash on power.

Most of these boats were set up with twin diesels and surface drives. It might be less expensive to repower the diesels and R-R the drives.

I'll def keep up with this thread and post some real world figures when I obtain them.

Best, Dan
Keep your trailer so that I can borrow it. I am going to sell mine to do my glass work...haha

The cabin looks awesome, well though out and executed perfectly.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

From 7 knts to warp drive, congrats on the new ride!
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #42
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizisition View Post
From 7 knts to warp drive, congrats on the new ride!
Thanks Pat....It's only a couple of Knots faster than my Contender was. And only 40K faster than the diesel boat was. Seriously, I really don't care about the top speed , except for how it relates to an economical cruise.

You coming to the Blue Wild this year?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post

You coming to the Blue Wild this year?
Trying to,but if its slick calm I might be offshore.
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #44
Powers
Dad

Beautiful, Dan. Looks like a real battle wagon. Can't wait to see the first haul.
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #45
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Nice!!!!! Guess you weren't joking about the possibility of a new boat.

Scott
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote