Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2009 Tournament Archives > 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open January 19-23, 2009

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
LA Diver

Re: 1st. Annual Costa Rica Blue Water Hunting Open

Yall can count me in for this one.
LA Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
scubadown16

I have a question.... How many divers are you planning on putting in each boat??? Thanks

James Hardesty
scubadown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
virgili

Quote:
How many divers are you planning on putting in each boat???
Hi James,
good to hear from you!
We will use only sportfishing boats (CPT+skipper): 6 boats for
20 divers + 3 guest divers (I obviously do not take part to the meet as competitor)
R. Bombard (from C.R.) and his 2 colleagues will use his own boat.
6 month before the Open, about 15 divers registered and many more declared themselves ready to be "in".
Divers registered come from the East/ West/ South US Coast, South Africa, Mexico, C.R....Among divers "in", are spearos from Brasil, Australia...

The best way to guarantee your participation is by registering!!

I have been getting in convincing colleagues from Europe (Italy, France, Spain..): they get intimidated by the competitor standart!
With all due modesty, I take the opportunity to recall how important is the social chapter during this Open: sharing with spearos from all the Blue Planet and with 3 (top) guest divers...
A pic of a local sportfishing boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat open.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	79676  
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
kill em all

The billfish on the menu might cause an uproar over there
kill em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #20
Wilddiver
Daryl Balfour

Rather pelagic billfish than resident bottom fish...

Safe, Selective, Sustainable Seafood!
www.wildphotossafaris.com
www.diving-action.com
Wilddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #21
virgili

These interesting points of view give me the opportunity to share good news:
Several sponsors will support the Open and the first involved are listed in the sponsors section:
http://www.subaquavideo.com/sponsors.html

So that all the paricipants will get freediving / spearfishing equipment and pretty nice guns in particular!

Quote:
The billfish on the menu might cause an uproar over there
Thank's for your experienced feedback.

I have probably to remind again, that as a Costa Rica foreigner I could not plan, work and organize such an international meeting without a strong/ reliable support from the local (pro) fishermen and authorities.
The 1st annual CR BWHO 09 is under control and the best requirements will be combined (weather, fish, boats, lodging...)
The Cpt, native from the place, who will be in charge of he other Cpt, was really surprised and amused when I told him recently some diver,s concerns.
The difference thinking make the debate stimulating...
Billfish capture (only one per diver during the Open ) is tipically a plus of this blue water hunting tournament, as well as it would be organized in Mexico or in an other country were billfish captures are allowed.
As is the case with Costa Rica waters.
Welcome aboard, there are a few spots left!
"Pura Vida"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CR 09 website2.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	81291  
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
tmaas

Philippe,
I have been reading about your meet with interest. A few of my friends have asked me to comment. Having hosted the first two La Paz Blue Water meets for the IBSRC,
I know the work you are putting into this project and I applauded that effort.
When we considered the species list for the La Paz, Mexico area, we too struggled with the billfish inclusion. In the end, we elected to keep them included.
You might want to reconsider the Costa Rica venue. You have made a good choice by keeping the meet away from the big marinas, however, there is incredible money in bill-fishing and much of it goes to Costa Rica. Costa Rica traditionally, has a large percentage of game reserves and many residents are conservation minded. If I were you, I’d consider eliminating bill fish from the venue. The same Internet information that you use to promote the meet might come back to haunt you and us later. If you want an idea of how many fishermen hate us, check out Bloodydecks.com and search for divers.
While I’m pleased that you are using IBSRC rules, you should know that we are opposed to trolling lures to bring up bill fish for a fish-in-a-barrel shoot. I’ve lured them up many times for photo opportunities. A usually wary fish becomes very dumb in these circumstances and this kind of “hunting” is so easy that it is deplorable in my mind. One sure way to alienate the fishermen of the world is to show them this method.
You might say that we have equal rights, and I’d agree. However, we live in a political world with very few numbers of “ spearfishing voters.” We are an expendable and visible minority. One of the ways we divers protect our rights is by piggy backing on the strength and numbers of fishermen. Why risk alienating them?
One last point made about marlin dying after being hooked. My friend Michael Domeier Phd. has studied this question extensively and finds that most bill fish taken with modern lures and hooks survive. It is the live-bait, gut-hooked fish that die routinely.
These are my opinions only. You have some great divers attending and a wonderful spot in the world for blue water fish.
Good Luck!
tmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #23
virgili

Terry,
first thank's for sharing your experienced and essential blue water hunting opinion.
Your feedback is as usual pretty stimulating!.
Quote:
IBSRC
The Open rules refer to IBSRC and IUSA. As organizer they must be applied without any restriction/ exception to the Open.

Quote:
incredible money/ minority
One says that it is estimated 44 million American fish for sport, anglers spend upwards of $41 billion dollars yearly on fishing and they generate over $116 billion dollars in associated economic activities... they are about 18 million certified scuba divers in USA and they spend $$$: you'r absolutely right if you remind us how (US) freedivers spearos make a kind of "minority". I was probably less conviced by that kind of argument because of the fact I'm a Med Sea (Italy, France) native, were there are several hundred thousands spearos in each top spearfishing country and were relationships spearos- fishermen-scuba divers are less tense.

Quote:
Trolling
"or not trolling". This technic debate has been popping up again and again since I made the things public. The Open will gather divers from different countries and I got so different feedback from them (positive/ negative)... this is the main reason why I have been leaving the debate open until today.
My first intention was to close the debate during the Cpt- divers meeting in Jan 2009, debate wich be held before the tournament and to accept the divers majority wishes.
My decision today is to ban trolling during the whole Open... and it will probably do some withdraw, but I take it upon myself to do that.

Quote:
Billfish
There are not any banning of billfish spearfishing in Costa Rica waters, as well as in Mexico waters. One fish per diver for the 5 days hunting seems to me a "conservative" approach". Is a zero fish the best conservative approach? (There's a wise saying that goes: "the best is the good ennemy")

Quote:
Marlin dying
I was told that bout 20 million fish are caught and released in the USA every year. There are a lot of studies about catch and release effectiveness and mortality: the hook type "J" or circle hook++, degree of exhaustion/ degree of physiological strees suffered++, time spent out of water, bait type, landing technic, method of release... different parameters wich have probably to be improved. Mortality is from 2% to 30% !! (fish are more often eaten by sharks).
The best scientific spearo contribution should be by tagging: spearfishing =release and catch...isn't it?

Quote:
A wonderful spot
Pura Vida!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Poster CR BWHO 09 .jpg
Views:	728
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	81876  
Old 08-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #24
tmaas

Philippe,
Thank you for your thoughtful and reasoned response. Unfortunately, in Politics as in Advertising, the emotional appeal usually far outweighs the scientific facts.
Again, good luck with your meet.
Terry
tmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

Phillipe it looks like you are taking a step in the right direction by taking the trolling out of the tourney but honestly you are still missing the point that I feel we are trying to make.

Whether or not we are justified in taking Billfish for our .001 percent of the entire worlds harvest per year or not is far from the issue. The real issue is that because we as Spearfisherman represent about .001 of the say in Fishing throughout the world we need to tread lightly and watch out for the future of our sport. .

There is a reason no one has started a spearfishing tournament in Costa Rica despite it being probably the #1 chance in the world to shoot billfish.

It is not surprising that a few local captains in a remote area are interested in having 6 full charters for multiple days. That money may represent the single most lucrative week of their year and money is hard to turn down no matter who or where you are.

You should try Pinas Bay, Los Suenos, Golfito, Quepos, Tamarindo, or Flamingo and see how the idea sounds. If there is any doubt as to the results take a look at anything on line about our esteemed representative in Panama a few years ago Robert Arrington when he speared a Marlin there.

There are plenty of species to pursue in Costa Rica and for the most part 75% of the divers probably haven't ever even been in the water with most of them so they and even the old salts will be delighted to hunt all the other pelagics.

I am all for the killing of Billfish. I think it is one of the most exciting and challenging aspects of our sport.

There is however a time and place. And what I think doesn't matter one bit to the rest of the fishing world or the people who have influence over the Rules and Regulations in foreign countries.

Tevoro Vula Vula

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #26
virgili

Cameron,
thank's for sharing again your opinion.

Quote:
you are taking a step in the right direction
The debate is taking a step in a right direction: so that a "trouble spot" Open rule (trolling/ watever the fish) get clarified. As organiser/ spokesman, I would like to thank all the spearos who contribute, so that from now the things are more clear. Terry arguments were conclusive. More clear in particular for the registered divers who have been sending me for weeks positive/ negative feedback about this fishing technic.
Does the "right direction" refer to individual concerns or to an international blue water hunting charter?
Or is there somewhere on a Blue Planet, a spearo who is thinking to be the intellectual guide in blue water hunting or to be a kind of spearo community savior?
With all due modesty, I'm very glad that Open registerd divers will get fun in hunting in the best conditions and according to consensual rules.
"Billfish or not billfish" debate, has in my opinion to be left open without helding Costa Rica Open participants hostage.

Quote:
no one has started a spearfishing tournament in Costa Rica
Does it mean that guys who did nothing were right and that from now on, woever organize something there would be doomed, sentenced to hell? Demonized?

Quote:
money
You'r right in evoking how this kind of event generate money to the local economic activities, but you'r wrong in suggesting that money is the main crews motivation. They are very keen/ glad to take part as if it would be a challenge, because they like fishing.
As a Costa Rica foreigner I could not plan anything if I did not first take friendly interest to the local pro and their families. Authentic support has nothing to do with money. I have to say that one of the Cpt first suggested me to organize a competition, then this idea has gained ground...

Quote:
Panama
I do'nt undersatnd the link made between a hint to a diver who broke the Panama law and those who will be in Costa Rica in January.

Cameron, you'r obviously very welcome as a guest diver to the 2nd CR BWHO edition. I did not change my mind.
But I wish we could as often as it is possible, to discuss in doing the difference between value judgment ( Virgili is fueling a "kingdom of fishermen fear" ) and concrete evidence judgment ( Cameron "is all for the killing of billfish" ).
Pura Vida.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #27
scubadown16

I find this argument to be one of particular interest for me personally. As a three time La Paz World Cup competitor I can speak personally on the reaction of taking of bill fish from the captains perspective. They are just as excited to see them come in via spear as they are hook and line. I personally think that the taking of any bill fish is in NO WAY going to affect anything in Costa Rica or anywhere else for that. One other question. Why is it that we as Americans have to set the rules for other contries? I hear Cameron's and Terry's point about it being used to harm our spearfishing rights. But is the taking of a bill fish any more detrimental then the taking of any other fish? Each country determines what is legal and what is not. I am under the impression that taking of bill fish is legal in Costa Rica. With that said. Why not let it be. 20 to 25 bill fish is not going to make an impact on anything. My last argument would be. Is the taking of bill fish in Costa Rica in an area with very little exposure as bad as publicly displaying bill fish brought in to a Marina like the ones brought into South Carolina resently during a Bill Fishing Tournament??? I mean displaying a 1400 pound marlin at the dock to me is going to cause more problems then a spearfishing tournament half a world away.

With that being said I think the bigger problem of having more then two spearos per boat is a much bigger problem and one that needs to be addressed... From my research. Blue water hunting in Costa Rica is usually a boat driving around looking for birds, spinner dolphines, and floatsomes. Now when these things come up. I think putting Four divers who are all competing against each other in such a confined space is going to cause some problems. Two divers is easy to manage. Usually they are paired up based on ability,diving style, and similar factors. How can a boat driver really take care of four divers in the water. For one. And for Two, how can the mate really take care of that much equipment as well as keeping float lines and gear from becoming a cluster FU*K as divers bail in to dive on fish. If this was a team tournament it would be different. Because you could all switch off who gets in. The Tuna are going to be moving so its going to be a lot of in and out of the boats. I think that this whole three to four divers per boat needs to be looked at.

James Hardesty
Old 08-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #28
blueh2oboy
Professional Snorkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadown16 View Post
20 to 25 bill fish is not going to make an impact on anything. James Hardesty

James,
In La Paz with the local Pangero's, 75% of the billfish caught there are taken to the dock. the only thing that keeps them from taking every one in is the Majority of foreign fisherman visiting push the catch and release. That is by no means the norm for the world and the main reason we hold a spearfishing tournament there. the Pangero's want to kill the billfish for food.

In Costa rica, 99% of billfish are released.
This has not always been the case but when hundreds of millions of dollars a year are pumped into the economy they make some changes and adapt.

Honestly with the quote above alone I can say I give up. No offense James but that is extremely naieve.

Phllippe.... best of luck. We have said our piece and tried not to look like hypocritic A$$holes and offer the knowledge of hundreds of top bluewater hunters and Fisherman from around the world that we have gained in our travels.

This is a total judgement call on your part. I'm done argueing a point that is not being fathomed.

Best of Luck.

CK

www.Spearblog.com Stories, videos, how-to, pictures, and all out spearfishing lies from Cameron Kirkconnell

Team Riffe
SaltLife

www.youtube.com/user/cameronkirkconnell
blueh2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #29
Tedbudion

I've some experience in organizing spearfishing meets, so humbly allow me to express my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgili View Post
I'm a Med Sea (Italy, France) native, were there are several hundred thousands spearos in each top spearfishing country and were relationships spearos- fishermen-scuba divers are less tense.
Apparenly you aren't aware of what have been going on over there. Relationships are very tense to say the least and for quite some time too. Just three examples: 1) the 1992 Worlds, in Spain--where spearfishing still has a lot of clout--had its venue transfered from Cadaqués (Catalunya) to Porto Cristo (Baleares) due to political pressure from German scuba diving groups; 2) Earlier this year, the CMAS-affiliated French spor diving governing body, FFESSM, abandoned spearfishing competitions, so far no problem, the recently founded FNPSA took over; then FFESSM started to lobby a competition ban altogether, the proverbial crap is still being spread from the fan as I write this. 3) In the proposed EU's Council Regulation concerning the preservation of fisheries resources in the North Atlantic, article 12, "Destructive fishing practices", states "... The catching, retention on board, .. sale of marine organisms caught using methods incorporating the use of explosives, poisonous or stupefying substances, electric current or any kind of projectile shall be prohibited.". (my highlight). Can you guess who is behind those four very insidious words buried in 25 pages of bureaucratic mumbojumbo? Some say it's directed to tuna and swordfish harpooning. Should we trust them? If it passes, all EU will have to comply, this could mean no spearfishing from Portugal to Norway, if taken by the letter.

As for the billfish issue, I agree with Terry in regards of the eligibility of marlin and sailfish in your meet. IMHO, you should reconsider it. You're right that, statistically, we don't even make an infinitesimal dent in the billfish population. But why alienate the very charter boat skippers that serve us? And I'm not talking about Costa Rica only. Those guys belong to a close knit community. Trust me, they will all hear about it, if they haven't already. It's like shooting jewfish (goliath grouper) in meets where it's still allowed (in Brazil, we've made jewfish ineligible 11 years before the official moratorium, now in place). What for? It would satisfy a small bunch and piss off a lot of people. It's a case where cons outweigh the pros. If one wants to shoot billfish privately, fine, I do (better, I try to...), but publicly and advertise it when all meets are releasing them, it's bad politics. And the possible fall-out will hit us all, not only you.

As for the trolling lures, I disagree in principle with Terry, but respect his opinion. Billfish aren't necessarily dumb when chasing a lure. Rather they and any other fish are very focused as they'd be when attracted by a flasher, burley (chum) or even a FAD for that matter. IMHO, they're all the same: artificial ruses to attract and distract our target. Therefore, we should accept or ban them altogether.

Last edited by Tedbudion; 08-19-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Tedbudion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #30
scubadown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh2oboy View Post
James,
That is by no means the norm for the world and the main reason we hold a spearfishing tournament there. the Pangero's want to kill the billfish for food.

In Costa rica, 99% of billfish are released.
This has not always been the case but when hundreds of millions of dollars a year are pumped into the economy they make some changes and adapt.

Honestly with the quote above alone I can say I give up. No offense James but that is extremely naieve.

CK
Cameron,
I don't take any offense. Everyone is entitled to their oppinion even you... Its not naieve its just my opinion. I won't even be attending this tournament. But I feel that allowing one bill per competitor is not going to change the course of the world.

On another note. I will correct you on your statement. It is not the MAIN reason Dennis Haussler holds his tournemant in that area. In fact only 4 bill fish have been brought in over the three years he has run the World Cup. So 6% of all the competitors over the three years have taken a bill fish. Hardly a reason to hold a compition there. Don't you think. Its held there because the infrastructer is there. Boats, captains,lodging,fish,and so on. So if your going to call someone naieve. Becarefull not to throw stones in glass houses. I respect your spearfishing ability. I know you do a lot for our sport. For that I thank you.

James Hardesty