Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Spearfishing Seminar March 30th 2019

I have scheduled a spearfishing seminar at Bill Jackson's "Shop For Adventure" in Pinellas Park, Florida.
The details are as follows:

Date: Saturday March 30th 2019
Time: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Fee: $35.00 for adults & $20.00 for kids 16 and under
Food: Lunch and beverages are included
Raffle: Yes

Phone: 727-576-4169 to register (ask for the dive department)

Address:
Bill Jacksons Shop for Adventure
9501 US Hwy. 19 North
Pinellas Park, Fl 33782

Bill Jacksons is a large facility so we can easily handle up to 100 shooters. However, it really helps to sign up early so they can plan the food and beverages.

Agenda: I will be covering all aspects of spearfishing from beginner to advanced. Some of the topics I will cover are: selecting the proper speargun, how to use it, how not to use it, how to take care of it, proper banding, shaft selection, tip options, stalking techniques, body language, proper shot distances, realistic ranges of a speargun, shot selection, optimizing shot angles, freeshafting, lineshafting, line types, advantages and disadvantages of just about everything involving spearfishing. I will be using my Red Snapper model to show proper shot placement and shot angles as well as underwater videos (provided by Dan McMahon (Team Headhunter) and Capt. Ben Bateman aka Fishkilla) showing proper shooting techniques etc.

I would like to give a huge “thank you” to Dan and Ben for allowing me to show their videos at my spearfishing seminars. These videos are a very powerful teaching tool that make my job much easier. Their videos give you a spot on “birds eye view” of exactly how professional shooters use proper shop placement and shot angle to take down fish of virtually any size using only one band and a Freeshaft (no line attached to the spear). The videos they provide are a great way to pass on their experience and knowledge to the next generation of shooters and their contribution to our great sport is greatly appreciated. Keep the great videos coming guys.......we need as many as we can get!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 01-25-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Spearfishing Seminar March 30th 2019

Sounds great! Always an opportunity to pick up some information at this venue along with seeing some of the advances and modifications to optimize what we do. A smart person brings a cushion to this event.....the metal folding chairs there do not fall under the category of advances!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Lots of good stuff in these seminars. You'll get your $35 worth in the first half hour. Free lunch and a raffle. Get to talk spearing on a windy March day with other spearfishermen. You might even meet a new dive buddy or two. Really a great opportunity . Kudos to Kevin for taking the time and effort to put this on.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Sounds great! Always an opportunity to pick up some information at this venue along with seeing some of the advances and modifications to optimize what we do. A smart person brings a cushion to this event.....the metal folding chairs there do not fall under the category of advances!
Rogers on that Dbrown...... those metal chairs can get a little uncomfortable after 5 or 6 hours. Folks are definitely welcome to bring a more comfortable chair or a seating pad/cushion.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
Lots of good stuff in these seminars. You'll get your $35 worth in the first half hour. Free lunch and a raffle. Get to talk spearing on a windy March day with other spearfishermen. You might even meet a new dive buddy or two. Really a great opportunity . Kudos to Kevin for taking the time and effort to put this on.
Thanks for the kind words Dan, I really appreciate it. I showed one of your videos at a seminar in Georgia a while back and those guys were absolutely blown away by what they saw. They had no idea that type of "precision" spearfishing was even possible. It definitely opened their as eyes as to what is possible when extreme talent and skill are combined with a properly rigged speargun.

My primary goal at these events is to really just bring things into perspective for folks. What I mean by that is.........I do my best to simply explain the advantages and disadvantages of spearguns/rigging options and related accessories. That way folks can decide for themselves what gear or options is best for them. On the harvesting side of things, I spend a lot of time on the importance of shot selection, shot placement, and most importantly shot angle. With shot angle being the most important of those three things.

I honestly believe most folks can shave 3 to 5 years off their learning curve and (save a bunch of money) by attending this event. This is not a 5 or 6 hour sales seminar! It is a hard core information/teaching based presentation that is designed to make you a much better and more productive spearfisherman.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

I will also be introducing a brand new “KB Signature” line of spearguns at this seminar.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #7
Kyack

Cool. I am rounding up the Georgia contingent to make the trip down. We had a blast last year.
Kyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
grey2112

One of the best things I ever did when I got into this sport. Met some great people (Kevin included!), got some great tips, won a prize, made some friends, and started a wonderful journey that continues to this day. Thanks, Kevin, for all you do for this sport and community. Hope to get out diving with you some day in the future!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyack View Post
Cool. I am rounding up the Georgia contingent to make the trip down. We had a blast last year.
If conditions are good and you have the time, maybe we can plan a dive trip out on my boat!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
If conditions are good and you have the time, maybe we can plan a dive trip out on my boat!
You had better pull the trigger on that new/bigger boat because about 12 of them Georgia boys drove down last year

Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Rogers on that! I will reserve us a table for 25 at BJ’s for another “after party”

Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
You had better pull the trigger on that new/bigger boat because about 12 of them Georgia boys drove down last year
LOL - damn, can't fit THAT many on my boat!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Kyack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
LOL - damn, can't fit THAT many on my boat!
We ain’t small Georgia Boys either. I have followed the Pelican’s exploits for a while. I would love to take a trip with some locals in the Tampa area one day. We dove last year on Sunday after the seminar. A little chilly.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
grey2112

Quote:
We ain’t small Georgia Boys either. I have followed the Pelican’s exploits for a while. I would love to take a trip with some locals in the Tampa area one day. We dove last year on Sunday after the seminar. A little chilly.
IF we can make it happen (maybe I can find another boat to go out with us, or you all can wrassle for the 4 seats on the boat - LOL) then we'll try very hard to do it.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
Kyack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Rogers on that! I will reserve us a table for 25 at BJ’s for another “after party”
Sounds great.