Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Luke
hammerhead911

Kona shrimp/prawns

My girlfriend and I are coming to Kona for a week in the beginning of March to just enjoy your beautiful home. We are from Florida, so it is gonna be weird being the, "tourists." I'm not gonna lie, I have always wanted to dive with the manta rays, so we are wanting to do that. First, who do you think is the best operation to do that? Second, I don't even want to try to learn fish ID/regulations from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Soooooooo, I kinda got interested in the prawn fishing/spearing idea. That really sounds like fun. Is that something a tourist can do? Is it as easy as a light and a pole spear?

Do I need a license? Any local help would be appreciated. We can trade trips. I know if you research my profile on here it sucks. Trust me, it is much more. Ask and i will send pics. I'm not a computer person.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #2
sacha58

Re: Kona shrimp/prawns

Do not know about prawns, but definitely to freedive and snorkel with wild creatures during day time go with:
http://www.wild-hawaii.com
Deron Verbeck and Brett le Master are the best and the ride on the Navy Seals RIB is, by itself an experience not to be missed.

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
blueopium

You can't spear any crustaceans
By Prawn do you mean lobster? There are no saltwater prawns that live in shallow water. Lobster have to be grabbed by hand. They have to be male, and a certain size.
There are outfits that will take you spear fishing on the big island, and teach you what you need to know about local regs.
For the Manta dive check out Jacks dive locker
blueopium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Luke
hammerhead911

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueopium View Post
You can't spear any crustaceans
By Prawn do you mean lobster? There are no saltwater prawns that live in shallow water. Lobster have to be grabbed by hand. They have to be male, and a certain size.
There are outfits that will take you spear fishing on the big island, and teach you what you need to know about local regs.
For the Manta dive check out Jacks dive locker
Tahitian prawns, in freshwater. Everything I've seen says they are an invasive species. But some of the ones I've seen are huge, look like small lobsters.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
blueopium

I'm not sure about invasive. They are definitely introduced. There is a difference .
The rivers can be dangerous , make sure it's a low water day.
I've never harvested them on the Big Isle, but quite a bit on Maui growing up.
Use a very under powered three prong, as short as you can find. I always liked aluminum ones for prawns. Also had better luck in small pools, there are plenty in the deep ones too. Just harder to get them.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Luke
hammerhead911

Thank you very much. Do I need to buy a license? Are there protected areas I need to stay away from?
Old 01-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #7
blueopium

No license needed
I don't know the fresh water systems on Big island
Stay out of National Parks
And beware of private land too
It's not really an activity visitors do
It's a very local thing
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
blueopium

Try to find a local to take you
So you don't wind up on someone's grounds by accident
We are very protective of our resources ....
Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Hank49

Macrobrachium lar is the Tahitian prawn and it is found in Hawaii. But I would think it's unlikely to be found in or around Kona. The natural life cycle of M lar and rosenbergii (the commercially grown Malaysian prawn in Hawaii) is eggs hatching and larvae growing in brackish water of about 12-15 ppt. After about 20 - 28 days, they turn post larvae and naturally swim against currents, which takes them upstream to grow into adults.

Given that Kona is very dry and there are few large streams entering the sea around there….well, good luck.

Maybe you get better luck down Hamakua or Hilo side. More rivers over there.
Hank49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
Luke
hammerhead911

Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to go scouting when I get there. I just thought it would be something different to try. Shrimping around here is just traps and dip nets.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
SurfNHuntSD

X2 what blueopium said. The Hamakua Coast of BI has many upland streams where prawns and shrimp are, but without local knowledge or permission it'll be tough if not dangerous. It's hard to know if you're on private land or someone's honey hole, which either way would not be good. Terrain is rocky and slippery too with some cliffs. That said, if you wanna charge it, I'd recommend a pair of tabis (found at Walmart, KTA, or any fishing store), a couple scoop nets, and a headlamp if you're going at night, which is the best time to catch em. Some guys 3 prong em but I never had much success that way. Good luck.
SurfNHuntSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
Jakeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to go scouting when I get there. I just thought it would be something different to try. Shrimping around here is just traps and dip nets.
Did you end up having any luck?
Jakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
Luke
hammerhead911

I had a great time there, but didn't get to go prawn hunting. All the locals I asked looked at me like I was crazy. I saw plenty of streams that looked promising but I didn't know who owned the property. So I did a manta dive which was pretty cool, some snorkeling, and consumed my weight in Kona Big Wave. Good times.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #14
Jakeup

That's awesome, at least you enjoyed your time.
Jakeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
TAKOTICKLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I had a great time there, but didn't get to go prawn hunting. All the locals I asked looked at me like I was crazy. I saw plenty of streams that looked promising but I didn't know who owned the property. So I did a manta dive which was pretty cool, some snorkeling, and consumed my weight in Kona Big Wave. Good times.
If you like big wave they sell it in the mainland I found it when I was station in va I live in Texas now and found it at a few stores I am from kona so I drink a lot of it to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
TAKOTICKLA is offline   Reply With Quote