Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Southern Atlantic Seaboard

Southern Atlantic Seaboard Here's the place for shooters from Georgia up to Maryland, including the Carolinas and Virginia.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #91
Searen
Knat City, NC

Send a message via Skype™ to Searen
Re: I Won The Open! 5-17-08 Report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiley View Post
If you only shoot hogs over 15 lbs where are you diving?

Where are pictures of your fish?

I have been to NC where the hogs are big, but not all of the ones that get shot are there over 15 lbs.

Look at the pictures of what people are posting especially from west palm south, or try weighing fish at some tournaments to see what people are shooting, you would be surprised at what people try to weigh.

As far as dive experience, I am sure I have more dives than you.
I happen to live in NC and I have never ever, even seen a hogfish over probably about 7 pounds and I have many hours in the water here. Sorry guys I have to let it out of the bag.....Folks....These guys up here in NC are computer geeks. They no longer pick tobbaco and eat dumplings. They are all experts at photo shop and making themselves look like heros with giant 5 pounders. And I'm sure Rob was somewhere along the GA/FL line when he took those fish. I don't know what it is, but once you get around that GA/FL line the water temps drop or the food gets scarce or something but they just don't grow......Sorry about that......Maybe Alabama or Louisiana...
Searen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #92
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searen View Post
I happen to live in NC and I have never ever, even seen a hogfish over probably about 7 pounds and I have many hours in the water here. Sorry guys I have to let it out of the bag.....Folks....These guys up here in NC are computer geeks. They no longer pick tobbaco and eat dumplings. They are all experts at photo shop and making themselves look like heros with giant 5 pounders. And I'm sure Rob was somewhere along the GA/FL line when he took those fish. I don't know what it is, but once you get around that GA/FL line the water temps drop or the food gets scarce or something but they just don't grow......Sorry about that......Maybe Alabama or Louisiana...
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #93
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Ren's right...I can't hide it any longer...

Bret-
I too am an internet only spearo.

Spearchuckerz (KW) is on his way over...this could get ugly later, I wanna see how quickly he can get a thread locked down.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #94
Bulit7

Bottom line is you shoot the biggest hogs you can find. Around here 12-17" is the average. Every blue moon, you may see one that goes 20 plus. Seems that NC holds a much healthier population.

As far as freediving, that can be done anywhere theres an ocean. Why would NC be any different??
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #95
Gamble
NATIVE

I haven't herd of a 20+lb hog in SE Florida in years!
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #96
Clay-Doh
Selective Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbuzo View Post
but scuba spearfishing is not a sport is illegal in most country...., i started diving in 20 feet with crappy gear then i got cressi garas euro gun and low profile mask it tooke me 6 months of diving to dive 60 feet , not i have carbon fins 2 years of diving and can shoot fish at 80 feet , took me dedication practice hard work and i want to hit 120 feet soon but is tough ....... thats like taking a gun to a knive fight , like , using a car on a running race ,.... there would be o lot more fish if scuba was not allowed for the restricted fish maybe allow scuba ppl to shoot only the abundant fish ,
You use a rubber (rather modern invention...this century) banded gun, low profile mask....is it glass an silicone? ANd....CARBON fins??? WTF!

Thats pussy. How easy...swim down with your high teck fins to 80 feet, soon to be 120 feet, and look clearly with your glass and silicone mask, and use that high tek gun that can shoot fish from 15 feet away?? You call yourself a purist?

Maybe you should talk to some native americans...a sharpened wooden stick...no fins...and um...glass mask...you are making it way too easy. I mean...serioeusly..all you have to do is look around, and see the fish, and pull the trigger.

You sound like the treehuggingivethepoorfishachancethatsnotfairyouuse modernscientificadvances whiner that keep postin on my youtube spearin videos. I seen you post this same crap on another thread..and it kills me how this self righteous crap keeps spewin.

Same as bow hunters doggin rifle hunters. Oh wait, these are bow hunters using carbon fiber arrows with lazor cut broadheads and fiberglass compound bows with optiv fiber sights and chemical cent maskers and nylon / royon blend polyester camos, and drove a gas powered four wheeler into there hunting spot.

UPDATE: I just googled native american hunting images...for some reason couldn't find a picture of a compund bow..or any of the other acceceries.

Point is..you can look down at air tanks...spearfishermen from 40 years ago would laugh in your face and call you a "cheater" whith all your modern crap, and natives would really laugh at your self proclaimed "purist" attitude.

In the words of Jack Nicholson... "Go sell bullshit somewhere else...were all filled up here"
Clay-Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #97
BreathlessSight

Hell ya! Native American all the way son!!!! Scuba/Freedive... w/e, its all easy for me.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #98
RichT

The reason scuba spearfishing is banned in many places is not because it is a more efficient gear.
Anybody who is smart enough to actually look at the situation will quickly realize that those countries banning scuba spearfishing have virtually no fisheries management.
A quick look at the laws in these "other" countries reveals virtually no size or bag limits, no closed seasons, and virtually NO regulation on commercial harvest!
Instead of blaming poor fisheries management they try to blame scuba spearfishing.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #99
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Thumbs up Re: I Won The Open! 5-17-08 Report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT View Post
The reason scuba spearfishing is banned in many places is not because it is a more efficient gear.
Anybody who is smart enough to actually look at the situation will quickly realize that those countries banning scuba spearfishing have virtually no fisheries management.
A quick look at the laws in these "other" countries reveals virtually no size or bag limits, no closed seasons, and virtually NO regulation on commercial harvest!
Instead of blaming poor fisheries management they try to blame scuba spearfishing.
I agree with Rich T...............Plus, many countries who do not allow scuba shootin' have very limited shallow water areas surrounding their country. Many of these areas coastline drop off to extreme depths just a few miles off the coast. It would be very easy to over fish such a small area regardless of gear type. Here in Fla. (particularly on the Gulf coast) we are blessed with thousands of square miles of shallow water bottom. The best defense against over fishing is to keep that pressure spread over a vast area. Reasonable recreational size limits, bag limits, and a vast harvest area, are all that is needed to protect the fish. That is why scuba shootin' in the Gulf is allowed and always should be allowed in these vast shallow water areas.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 12-30-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #100
Bulit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
I haven't herd of a 20+lb hog in SE Florida in years!
That was inches! Not pounds!!
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #101
Charlestondivin

Wow, this old thread is back? I'ts going to get ugly on here with all the upcoming grouper snapper closures and no one diving.

I have to let the cat out of the bag. All of the big hogs we shoot are from NC. Wrightsville Beach Frying pan shoals area. (We normally dont shoot them unless they are over 10#)

Don't let those NC guys fool you. Just because they don't post a lot doesn't mean they don't have really good spearfisherman that crush some big fish.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote