Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
pierreyaldo

Oceanborn- Seamless Buttpad Solution

Hey gang. Recently found myself wanting some kind of butt pad on my new oceanborn, and after some thinking and tinkering with different products I found a pretty damn good solution.

First of all, part of the problem arises with the fact that the butt of the gun is not perfectly flat at the edges, so rubber simply glued to the end is going to naturally want to peel off. Additionally, I didnt want to add a pad unless it perfectly fit in with the look of the gun.

So, here is my solution.

1) Order "versimold" rubber on amazon or elsewhere. It is rubber putty that can be shaped and cured in an oven.

2) Cut off a slab to desired thickness, and place saran wrap on the top. Make a deep imprint with the gun, so that the rubber forms exactly to the shape of the butt.

3) Remove the saran wrap, and place in the oven, and cure according to directions.

4) Cut away excess rubber, and stick it to the gun (I used a silicone construction adhesive. However, I think if I did it again I would just use epoxy for surety of strength)

5) Use black silicone (3m 4200 is the brand I used, which is probably exactly the same or similar to what the rubber grips of the bleutec are made of), to cover the seams of the butt, and dab it with a paintbrush to make it fit in exactly with the gun.

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (6).JPG
Views:	256
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	236121   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (4).JPG
Views:	271
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	236122  
Old 11-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
apeogre

Re: Oceanborn- Seamless Buttpad Solution

Looks great. Ive heard the bleutec butt is something that need a fix. One guy I saw had a piece of plastic that he placed in between the gun and himself. This is a really clean fix.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
pierreyaldo

Thanks. Yeah after getting the gun i immediately was put off by the fact that it was a 4 band gun with no rubber butt... Its not even about loading it for me but more about not destroying a $2000 gun on boat rides....If im gonna spend that much its worth preserving the gun when I sell it... if i ever do
Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
el tiegro

Do you have issues with the line release making the trigger pull too hard? I'm using my buddies oceanborn 145, and he says that the tension from the second wrap and breakaway bungee puts too much tension on the trigger. It looks like the design pushes directly against the side of the trigger, and I'm curious if anyone has a good solution.
el tiegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
pierreyaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tiegro View Post
Do you have issues with the line release making the trigger pull too hard? I'm using my buddies oceanborn 145, and he says that the tension from the second wrap and breakaway bungee puts too much tension on the trigger. It looks like the design pushes directly against the side of the trigger, and I'm curious if anyone has a good solution.
I wont be shooting it until around christmas time so ill let you know... but I did notice while playing with the rigging that the line release pops pretty hard. I kinda liked it...whats the problem?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
Smesh

I glued a dollar store flip flop onto mine. Someone else's idea that i copied. Works great.
Smesh is offline   Reply With Quote