Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Sharp blade style spearfishing tips

I had been waiting for the twist pattern tips to arrive, but they are a no-show and a pack of two blade arrowheads arrived instead, which I never ordered! I guess these are intended as replacements and on reflection may be more useful anyway. I will take some photos once I find my camera's memory stick.

Here you can see the twin blade and tri-blade arrowheads alongside some of my spearfishing tips. They are too small to be tips on their own, but could be integrated into a larger spear body tip made as a "carrier" for supporting these "points". They are inexpensive at four heads for 5 bucks!

Here is a diagram showing how the tip assembles, the thread being secured with plumbers teflon tape, although it could be assembled with stud lock or a form of Loctite.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-18-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added a revised drawing
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
popgun pete

Here is the external view of the tips, illustrated here is a quad blade, but it could be a tri blade or a double, the rear carrier section carrying on the shape of the arrowhead tip which is expendable and replaceable.

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-24-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: added longer version of tip
Old 02-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #18
Hungry1

Just the Tip has replaceable tips with hollow ground sides on the tri-cut, I don't think you'd want the edges of the tri-cut to be wider than the diameter of the slip tip so it doesn't make the wound wider than it needs to be.

https://justsliptips.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tips_2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	241777  
Hungry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #19
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry1 View Post
Just the Tip has replaceable tips with hollow ground sides on the tri-cut, I don't think you'd want the edges of the tri-cut to be wider than the diameter of the slip tip so it doesn't make the wound wider than it needs to be.

https://justsliptips.com/
This is not a slip tip and the twin floppers indicate that, plus when the floppers open up they are not coming out of the hole and the spearhead then pulls off the shaft being connected by a breakaway cable. I have used such tips for decades very successfully, the problem is the cost of manufacture had them deleted about a decade back.

Of course it may be that your comment here is an advert and looking at them they appear OK.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:25 AM   #20
popgun pete

Because they are more commonly used today slip tips have gained a status as the detachable tip to use, however once the tip dislodges from the shaft its angular motion to catch and tip over to secure the prey with a T-bar on a short cable is very limited. If it does not catch and the spear has not penetrated or the tip jams then it will not toggle on the fish. In the old days slip tips were broad flat arrowhead shaped plates held in a slot on the shaft mounting and they pulled out and jammed in the fish, but the modern cylindrical slip tip has minimal transverse surfaces to catch. As a comparison double or twin flopper tips on a breakaway head spread the floppers out as they reverse and they create a much larger T-bar acting on the fish and provided they are streamlined with the floppers in the flow shadow of the broad fluted head are a much better proposition for a powerful gun to kill or secure a big fish. The current use of cones on integral tips is merely emulating the flow of the broad fluted heads such as the old Undersee MAKO which in cross section was a tapering four pointed star and a cast and then edge ground steel product. The purpose of this thread is to suggest a modern version with a replaceable point and a double flopper carrier to hold that point.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #21
Mana'squal

Is there any potential for mechanical tips such as we see in broadheads, like the rage broadhead?

there seem to be some glaring issues with attempting that, but the lethality of the rage broadheads has me interested. Could be used for sitting duck large fish like halibut, the large cutting area could be used to target the spine or brain.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #22
popgun pete

I have chopped the spines on flatfish just like like that, they just sit and lift like a big bath mat when you pull the shaft up as they sag on the shaft that has hit them behind the eyes and completely stoned them. Much better than a bucking bronco ride!

That was with Mako type heads with quad edges, however I got those tips from Russia. Driving into sand only frost finishes the tips as the sand particles abraids the surfaces, but the sharp edges remain.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
popgun pete

Here is an old Undersee advert that includes the "Mako" cast steel spear tip. Back in the day everyone used them and when the ends snapped off they were thrown away as they were relatively inexpensive. If I knew what I know today back then I would have kept them and rebuilt them.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #24
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Many years ago blade type spearfishing spear tips were available that did more than skewer the prey (e.g. the Undersee cast steel bladed (4) “Mako” and (2) “Cutlass”, the Sampson 3 blade triple flopper tip), they created more structural damage on arrival that incapacitated the fish, especially when blasted by guns with significant firepower. These tips have become only a memory for some in a world of tricuts, quads and pencil point tips, but these archery tips look like they could hand out more damage if fitted to a spear. The fish may sustain battle damage which may make photography inadvisable after capture (wrt the image of the sport to the Public at large), but you (and others) get to eat the fish which is the main goal of the hunting exercise.

https://www.newfrog.com/es/product/4...ge_recommended
Thanks for posting. It's interesting to see the technology and time that was placed into spearfishing from the past.

I'm relatively new to the spearfishing scene, having only been in it for a few years. I have more background in archery than spearfishing. I'm typically very particular about how my arrow flies because accuracy is the number one priority for me. Penetration is normally not a concern because of the amount of energy my arrow already has.

With a speargun setup I'm always looking to improve penetration and accuracy of the shaft. I think having a razor-ed edge tip has a place in improving penetration. Having too large of blades up front could impact the trajectory of the shaft should the shaft flex during a shot.

Shooting with a mechanical head would improve the tendency to plane, but there's more resistance to penetration there. How much that matters, I don't know.

It almost seems like spearfishing is far behind the technology compared to archery. Like how the spine relative to the draw weight can matter of an arrow, no one around me seems to care how straight or stiff their shaft is and wonder why their shots aren't consistent. Or how aiming with a bow is actually very accurate now with tape programs and micro adjustable sights, vs instinctive aiming or how some guns "just shoot low or high". I'm not trying to negatively criticize spearfishing, but it sure seems like more tech and effort can be placed to land more fish. It's always about interest and money of course.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #25
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
Thanks for posting. It's interesting to see the technology and time that was placed into spearfishing from the past.

I'm relatively new to the spearfishing scene, having only been in it for a few years. I have more background in archery than spearfishing. I'm typically very particular about how my arrow flies because accuracy is the number one priority for me. Penetration is normally not a concern because of the amount of energy my arrow already has.

With a speargun setup I'm always looking to improve penetration and accuracy of the shaft. I think having a razor-ed edge tip has a place in improving penetration. Having too large of blades up front could impact the trajectory of the shaft should the shaft flex during a shot.

Shooting with a mechanical head would improve the tendency to plane, but there's more resistance to penetration there. How much that matters, I don't know.

It almost seems like spearfishing is far behind the technology compared to archery. Like how the spine relative to the draw weight can matter of an arrow, no one around me seems to care how straight or stiff their shaft is and wonder why their shots aren't consistent. Or how aiming with a bow is actually very accurate now with tape programs and micro adjustable sights, vs instinctive aiming or how some guns "just shoot low or high". I'm not trying to negatively criticize spearfishing, but it sure seems like more tech and effort can be placed to land more fish. It's always about interest and money of course.
What has happened is spearfishing has forgotten its past, today integral tip shafts are the norm, but in the old days nothing like them existed and speartips always screwed on and in the earliest form had a replaceable point on a pencil point shaped tip. Then the bladed tips appeared and they only disappeared due to cost when spearfishing went through a lean period and guns were simplified as much as possible in the later seventies. That included the Tahitian shafts which had been quarter inch diameter in small guns and got scaled up for larger size weapons.

"Old Skool" companies like JBL, Ocean Rhino and Biller still make very similar screw-on tips and all we lack is the tri and quad narrow cutting blade tips of the past.

Last edited by popgun pete; 04-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #26
popgun pete

Here are some contemporary JBL detachable tips, the top one is an arrowhead tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbl breakaway tips.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	242094