Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #16
grey2112

Re: Strikelines Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Thanks for the responses. One of these weeks Eric, you'll get a break in the cold fronts. Just remember, that Irma did some major sand shifts. After Irma, I went to a short ledge that use to be a foot and half tall in 58'. Saw hard bottom but not much relief even using zoom. When, I dove it. I hardly recognized it. About 80% of it had been filled in to the top.
Am sure some ledges will be like that. Then, there will be some new uncovered ledges. This spring/summer is going to be interesting.
Good points. Luckily I have my Simrad and Lowrance units dialed in pretty good and have been successful at reading them and marking good spots. I am also lucky in having a good group of divers who don't mind scouting spots instead of always going to the well-known ones that are normally productive. I'm in this to have fun and discover new things, not just fill the freezer.

My last dives of the season saw us on some, in the past, so-so smaller ledges. This time around (November) they were awesome, loaded with nice mangos and TONS of hogs. Very happy about that.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #17
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Wondering if you get just the numbers OR if you get the numbers and the images recorded (side/down scan) of each number?
So how do they look on you GPS? Is it just numbers or bottom topography? Also are there the red lines that follow the contours of the ledge like on the website?
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #18
CatDiver

Looks better on the GPS than on Homeport. There are some lines for ledges and lines for areas and then waypoints. Not as slick as the CMOR stuff. I'm still evaluating one chart that I purchased but it seems promising from initial look.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 AM   #19
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDiver View Post
Looks better on the GPS than on Homeport. There are some lines for ledges and lines for areas and then waypoints. Not as slick as the CMOR stuff. I'm still evaluating one chart that I purchased but it seems promising from initial look.
I just ordered one. If it is as good as I think it will be, I'll probably get 1 or 2 more.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #20
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
So how do they look on you GPS? Is it just numbers or bottom topography? Also are there the red lines that follow the contours of the ledge like on the website?
Just numbers, and the track they took in the areas - they can send you a few select pictures of certain areas if you like.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #21
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Just numbers, and the track they took in the areas - they can send you a few select pictures of certain areas if you like.
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the offshore St Pete to check out. I'll get it loaded up and compare their spots to the ones we dive/fish and report back later today.

BTW, I see you on THT too. Maybe we can go diving/spearfishing sometime.

Thanks!
Byrdman
Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #22
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrd View Post
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the offshore St Pete to check out. I'll get it loaded up and compare their spots to the ones we dive/fish and report back later today.

BTW, I see you on THT too. Maybe we can go diving/spearfishing sometime.

Thanks!
Byrdman
I got the offshore Clearwater and Tarpon numbers - we may have to compare notes

Sure thing on the diving - I plan to do more this year, especially on the weekends. PM me and we can talk.

Eric
Old 03-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
sharpshooter

Any of you guys get out and try the charts you bought?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #24
byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Any of you guys get out and try the charts you bought?
I have not yet, but will be putting some time in by the end of the month. Right now, I am working on the boat to get it ready for spring.

Just looking at them on the GPS, and I think they will be well worth the investment.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
floridascuba

Been looking into Strikelines once I get my boat up and running.

Though CMOR doesn't support Garmin, couldn't you just use babelfish and covert to gpx file?
floridascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #26
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridascuba View Post
Been looking into Strikelines once I get my boat up and running.

Though CMOR doesn't support Garmin, couldn't you just use babelfish and covert to gpx file?
Cmor isn't waypoints. It's an imagery overlay. I don't think GPX supports imagery
Old 03-25-2018, 12:39 PM   #27
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Cmor isn't waypoints. It's an imagery overlay. I don't think GPX supports imagery
Correct - you just get numbers with the Strikeline. Sort of wish they'd give the imagery as well since it would help in my determination of whether to dive a spot or not based on how it looked, to me at least.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #28
fishkillapro

We were using them a few weeks ago. Ran into a buddy that was also using StrikeLines. Looks like we received the same set.
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
We were using them a few weeks ago. Ran into a buddy that was also using StrikeLines. Looks like we received the same set.
So far what is your impression of the numbers? Most of the ones I have are not near any of my "known" spots.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #30
StrikeLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
Hey, if you and your buddy bought the same chart you would receive the same coordinates. We try to include several hundred waypoints on each chart so there is no danger of too much pressure on one spot - hopefully enough spots so you'll always have new ones to try! The St Pete Offshore chart, for example, has 1,048 waypoints, not including lines to trace out ledges, circle hard bottom areas, and other things.

After using the chart for a few months, how do you like it? Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help or improve!
StrikeLines is offline   Reply With Quote