Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 AM   #1
AK_FishTech

Trygon shaft question

I'm planning on ordering some 7.2mm x 140cm Trygon shafts. I have two questions, are the single floppers recessed?
And how close is the rear loading tab the the mechanism notch. Thanks in advance.
AK_FishTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
jstiver09

Re: Trygon shaft question

I have a few of the 130cm single flopper Trygons...great, accurate shafts but a few strange things that came on the stock ordered shafts:
1-The 130cm shaft came with 4 shark fins which is stupid.
2-The hole for the shooting line is usually in the rearmost shark fin which I hate because the crimp is always in the way of the bands.

If I order again from Tygons I will have them make the shafts custom with those things changed. Shark fins are positioned almost as far back as they can get and yes, the single flopper is recessed but it does not come tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
spearq8

The shafts are very sturdy and strong and very accurate ... but the recessed tip is VERY recessed. On an 8mm shaft you are not left with much after you put in 2 floppers. This makes the tip extremely fragile and all my shafts are now bent at the tip and I always have to bend them back ... but once bent I feel I can't really straighten them out perfect. The floppers are some of the best floppers I have seen (they must be hardened) ... they will not flare no matter how hard to pressure them. The metal used seems very high in ferrite as they will have some surface corrosion where a 17-4 ph shaft would not ... also they are highly magnetic ... so seems like more iron is there.

Personally I prefer a full bore shaft with a cone ... just too many bent tips with big recessed shafts.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
ReefShark
Jay

Some nice shafts indeed... That last fin is really far back 😍.. It looks to be a bit big also... Id modify those last 2 fins like the first 2... It looks wierd...

Sent from my BLU DASH M using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Alec

That is odd how they setup those short shafts Justin, but they do look very nice
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 AM   #6
spearq8

Yeah ... a 130cm shaft can go without a rest tab as most shots will be 5 meters or less. A large shark fin has much more drag than a small shark fin ... this is even more so when the shaft mass is small. With the Trygons you can specifiy what shark fin you want as they have an ET gun that doesn't work with small shark fins and needs the tall shark fins for the wishbone to reach. The less the shaft weighs the more you have to really make it streamlined. By far the best shaft @ 7mm or less is the Sporasub America One shaft ... it has very tiny shark fins and every shark fin has a hole you can tie your line to. It also has an extremely streamlined flopper with almost zero recess ... thus making the tip very strong. It does not need a cone as the flopper is engineered to be strong (by using hardened stainless steel allowing thinner profile). If they could take those same engineering and create 7.5mm and 8mm shafts ... maybe even doubled 8.5mm shafts ... choice of shafts would become extremely easy! Unfortunately it seems that the shaft is no longer being produced as Omer now has bought out Sporasub ... and instead you have an Omer America One shaft that has the crappiest flopper on earth ... which I have had fish as small as 5 kilos pull the flopper clean off! On the other hand the Sporasub One flopper has landed dogtooth over 40 kilos and one Cobia over 50 kilos !!! The shafts were pretzeled but the flopper held.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Yeah ... a 130cm shaft can go without a rest tab as most shots will be 5 meters or less. A large shark fin has much more drag than a small shark fin ... this is even more so when the shaft mass is small. With the Trygons you can specifiy what shark fin you want as they have an ET gun that doesn't work with small shark fins and needs the tall shark fins for the wishbone to reach. The less the shaft weighs the more you have to really make it streamlined. By far the best shaft @ 7mm or less is the Sporasub America One shaft ... it has very tiny shark fins and every shark fin has a hole you can tie your line to. It also has an extremely streamlined flopper with almost zero recess ... thus making the tip very strong. It does not need a cone as the flopper is engineered to be strong (by using hardened stainless steel allowing thinner profile). If they could take those same engineering and create 7.5mm and 8mm shafts ... maybe even doubled 8.5mm shafts ... choice of shafts would become extremely easy! Unfortunately it seems that the shaft is no longer being produced as Omer now has bought out Sporasub ... and instead you have an Omer America One shaft that has the crappiest flopper on earth ... which I have had fish as small as 5 kilos pull the flopper clean off! On the other hand the Sporasub One flopper has landed dogtooth over 40 kilos and one Cobia over 50 kilos !!! The shafts were pretzeled but the flopper held.
Wat wud be your next choice after the ONE shaft?

Old 01-08-2017, 01:42 AM   #8
spearq8

I prefer 17-4 ph hardened SS shafts but if the shaft size is 150cm or less and diameter is 7mm or higher ... you can get away with some of the Sandvik shafts with no problems. Hunt, Devotosub, Sigalsub, Trygons and many others make good shafts. More important is to choose a shaft with a rest tab and a location to tie the line on the rest tab or doghouse. This helps prevent wheelies at the end of shaft flight on lighter shafts or even heavy shafts as they reach the end of the line.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
ReefShark
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I prefer 17-4 ph hardened SS shafts but if the shaft size is 150cm or less and diameter is 7mm or higher ... you can get away with some of the Sandvik shafts with no problems. Hunt, Devotosub, Sigalsub, Trygons and many others make good shafts. More important is to choose a shaft with a rest tab and a location to tie the line on the rest tab or doghouse. This helps prevent wheelies at the end of shaft flight on lighter shafts or even heavy shafts as they reach the end of the line.
Pathos seems to be the only Sandvik around... Will Sandvik handle rocks n reef?

I will be looking for a 140cm 6.75mm-7mm shaft soon for my 105cm gun but i want a strong shaft with that last fin as back as i can get and a rest tab for low power...
Right now it has a 6.5mm 150cm shaft and i get 113cm band stretch... I know for sure that thin shaft will bend around here...

That tTrygons shaft sure is nice but like u said, that recess is a weak point...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

There are many Sandvik shafts out there. Sigalsub makes theirs from Sandvik steel. Epsealon and Salvimar have Sandvik as well as 17-4ph options in their range.
But honestly, I don't get the whole "Sandvik" designation. It doesn't really mean much. Sandvik is a huge steel producer with many different products (types of steel) and I have yet to see a speargun/shaft manufacturer tell us which exact Sandvik steel they are using. They might all be using the same one or they might not. It's like calling it a 'Ford spear', but is it a GT or a Fiesta?
There are likely Sandvik steels that are better than 17-4ph and there are probably Sandvik steels that aren't. Also, maybe not all 17-4ph is created equal depending the supplier.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-11-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
ReefShark
Jay

What i should've said was the only "nice" Sandvik shaft around...

I know the Salvimar Squalo is 17-4 but I don't like their fin setup... Never paid attention to their other shafts too much...

Don't know much about Epsealon...

17-4 vs Sandvik, which is better, i dont know... I just need a strong shaft...

I just read a thread where some said that the Pathos was soft....