Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 Tournament and Event Archives > 2011 The Blue Wild Expo - May 28-29, 2011

2011 The Blue Wild Expo - May 28-29, 2011 This is a world-class spearfishing event with over 1,000 participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Powers
Dad

Hawaiian Sling Donation - Blue Wild 2011

The Blue Wild is fast approaching and we can't wait to see what Sheri has in store for us this year.

My brother and I are each donating a Hawaiian Sling to the raffle this year. His is in the mail to me and as soon as it gets here, I'll have the package in the mail to Sheri.

Pictured below are the two slings I made and am sending to Sheri. One will be for the raffle and one is a gift to her for her efforts in putting this together. She gets first pick. The stands are made from native Texas mesquite (from my firewood pile) and the handles are made from Bocote (light brown) and Macassar Ebony (Dark with the white stripe).

I think the handle my brother is sending is Cocobolo wood.

They are finished with Carnauba wax and will hold their shine if the winner chooses to display them on the stand. Once they spend a little time on the reef, well... I am looking at my ebony handle that is my regular shooter and, after a grouper rocked up with it still on the shaft in the Abacos, it's pretty gnarly.

Anyway, we took home a few great items from the raffle last year and we can't wait to see some of this year's features. If you are making a donation or plan to attend, post up here.

See you there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bocote Sling Blue Wild 2011.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	149069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Macassar Ebony Sling Blue Wild 2011.jpg
Views:	1593
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	149070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Wild 2011 Slings.jpg
Views:	1784
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	149071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slings on stands.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	149072  
Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Powers
Dad

Re: Hawaiian Sling Donation - Blue Wild 2011

I have a few of these on display in my office because I really like the way they look, but I make them all for shooting and sooner or later, my desk art becomes my weapon.

The tubing is secured with Riffe wax line, then braided twine, then covered in shrink tubing to keep everything neat.

Also, I recess the business end of the handle to make it easier to load the shaft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shaft Pocket Detail.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	149073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sling Wrap Detail.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	149074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recessed End Detail.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	149075  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Adelito

how much are they? what band thickness?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Powers
Dad

I've never sold them. I just make them for friends or people with whom I've speared. The materials are about $40. If you want one, maybe we could work something out.

I use either 7/16" or 1/2" tubing.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Very nice powers. I'll be throwing a few raffle tickets in there for sure. Very nice craftsmanship and attention to details
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Ballenita

Yeah man those are cool. I need one myself. I'm working on making some speargun racks to take to the show and I will be putting one up for the raffle as well.

Ballenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenita View Post
Yeah man those are cool. I need one myself. I'm working on making some speargun racks to take to the show and I will be putting one up for the raffle as well.
Can't wait to see the racks. Post up some pictures if you get a chance.

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone has an in with a shaft manufacturer or dealer, I think it would be great if we could couple these two handles in the raffle with two donated shafts.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
settingsteel
1Breath,1Shot,1Kill

Nicely turned slings Powers, wood is amazing! I hope to have one of my HalfBreed guns ready for the raffle, working on a 2 piece take apart one for travel.
settingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
diligaf

Wow! That is a beautiful gift for a beautiful lady and one great prize for a lucky raffle winner!
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #10
fishspearit
polespearer

Send a message via AIM to fishspearit

Beautiful Hawaiian slings!

We've donated 3 of our new Foldspears to the raffle. The Big Fish Hunter package which includes an 8' Foldspear and holster, spinning tri-cut tip, and 1/2" band; a 6' Foldspear & holster, and the 4' Lionfish hunter Foldspear with a barbless rockpoint tip.

If you haven't had a chance to see the new version, we'll have a booth at the show also. Everything has been improved from the holster and holster straps to the spear itself. The wall thickness has been doubled from the earlier version and the fit between all the sections is better along with better tolerances on all the threads. Hope to see you at the Expo!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	149292  
Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishspearit View Post
Beautiful Hawaiian slings!

We've donated 3 of our new Foldspears to the raffle. The Big Fish Hunter package which includes an 8' Foldspear and holster, spinning tri-cut tip, and 1/2" band; a 6' Foldspear & holster, and the 4' Lionfish hunter Foldspear with a barbless rockpoint tip.

If you haven't had a chance to see the new version, we'll have a booth at the show also. Everything has been improved from the holster and holster straps to the spear itself. The wall thickness has been doubled from the earlier version and the fit between all the sections is better along with better tolerances on all the threads. Hope to see you at the Expo!
Nice spears! Great donation. We'll see you there.

Will
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Sheri
So Little Time

Powers, wow, nice slings! I like when my weapons are also works of art. Thanks for your generosity.

Ballenita, thanks for the speargun rack for the raffle. Everybody can use one of those!

Fishspearit, I got the Foldspears. Very nice product. They are amazingly strong and solid -- perfect for traveling to the Bahamas, which I'm hoping to do more of when I get the Expo behind me.

Thanks for donations, guys. It goes to a good cause and is part of what makes the Expo so much fun.
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Sheri
So Little Time

Will, I just got the slings in the mail today. I have to say...they were breathtaking when I unwrapped them. Those pictures do not do them justice. The wood is amazingly beautiful. I'm having a really hard time choosing. I'm very humbled that you sent one for me. When someone hand-makes something, you know it's a gift from the heart. I feel very humbled -- thank you very much. The sling is beautiful, and so is your generosity.

Do you plan to make these for sale or is this your hobby or what? So you and your brother go slinging? That seems kind of rare for Texas guys, or do you guys travel to the Bahamas or something? Inquiring minds want to know....

Look forward to seeing you at the Expo!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Powers
Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Will, I just got the slings in the mail today. I have to say...they were breathtaking when I unwrapped them. Those pictures do not do them justice. The wood is amazingly beautiful. I'm having a really hard time choosing. I'm very humbled that you sent one for me. When someone hand-makes something, you know it's a gift from the heart. I feel very humbled -- thank you very much. The sling is beautiful, and so is your generosity.

Do you plan to make these for sale or is this your hobby or what? So you and your brother go slinging? That seems kind of rare for Texas guys, or do you guys travel to the Bahamas or something? Inquiring minds want to know....

Look forward to seeing you at the Expo!
Hi Sheri,

I'm glad they made it and I'm glad you liked them. When you do decide which one you picked, let me know and I'll send a matching stand.

We have talked about selling them, but I think their real value is in connecting with other people in the community, just as we've been able to do here. I've given them as gifts to say thanks for hospitality, spearfishing trips, etc. Of course, if someone wanted to buy one, we'd be happy to work something out.

In Texas, about the only place to use slings would be on the jetties on a really clear day (rare,) so your inquiry is well founded.

Tim and I started spearfishing like almost everyone else in Texas. SCUBA on the rigs. We did that for years and had a blast. My wife's family has been going to Abaco for two decades, so when we wed, I joined the party. I was instantly hooked on slinging. After seeing the abilities of the locals, I also decided to look more into freediving and haven't put on tanks in years. Our dad got us into woodworking when we were young. I bought a lathe in college and started turning bowls and odds and ends. When I got home from our first Bahamas trip, I turned my own sling handle and have been using homemade slings ever since. It adds a level of satisfaction to take fish with something homemade. I'll definitely be shooting my sling at least part of the time during the Art Pinder Tournament. My schedule's a little jammed, but I'm hoping to have a chance to put together a donation sling for that tournament as well.

We know you break your back to put this event together. So many people, from spearfishermen to the clients at the Twin Palms Center, benefit from the Blue Wild. It was a joy to make them for you. You have our gratitude.

See you next week!

Will
Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
FL Spear Fish

I won this today and i am very excited to use it. i saw the posting on here earlier and thought they looked very cool. The shirt is also very nice. I didnt have a chance to speak to you after, so i just wanted to say thank you... i cant wait to hit the reef tomorrow with it and i will stop buy and see if i cant win another one after.
FL Spear Fish is offline   Reply With Quote