Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #181
spearq8

Re: Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

I would NOT use metal wishbones on this gun. You will chip the front of your muzzle if you do. There is no need for metal wishbones as the band elevators keep the bands sitting very nicely. Even if you are using metal wishbones I would keep only the second band as metal wishbone while the first keep it spectra ... you will actually get better results as the spectra will hug closer to the shark fin on first band and allow more space for band 2.

I did find the video for the upgrade I did. I never posted this video so it is unlisted and minimal editing. After looking at the video I remember I did one extra modification which was to make the front band elevators more streamlined and hourglass shaped. I felt that the line sometimes got caught up and caused like a speed jump in shaft flight. An hourglass shape also looks much nicer. I used some very light epoxy putty (floats in water) then put a CF cover over that. You actually only need a tiny bit to just fill in the back and front of the band elevators. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of that last modification. I did meet up with my friend who now uses this gun and it is the only gun he uses now. He showed me pix of some pretty amazing catches including huge dogtooth tuna. I personally think this gun is way under gunned for dogtooth, especially with a 7mm shaft ... you would really need to get very very close to the fish. The gun is extremely accurate and consistent especially after adjusting the muzzle.

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #182
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

I will reconsider the titanium wishbones if I see they cause any damage.

Thank you for sharing the video. Will look at it later today.

I believe this speargun has all the potential to be great if only the maker would consider some improvements. Tried to reach out but never got a response.
I will see how it performs without the added wings first.

Would be nice if your dogtooth tuna shooting friend could post some pictures of his catches with this gun here. Maybe he has a instagram account?
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #183
kodama

Just watched the video. Thanks again for sharing it.
I wish I had a pool like you to test my spearguns..

I think I might shorten my bands a bit to 360%. The batch of Sigalsub Extreme small id 14.5 mm I have feel a bit too easy to load at 340%. Might as well turn up the power a little bit.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:16 AM   #184
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Here is the informative answer I received:

“They're using Lithium grease in the assembly of the C4 triggers but it's not required.

I would try to keep one of these spearguns out of the sand anyway but the grease is there to make the entire trigger function smoothly since there are so many moving parts compared to most simpler 3 piece trigger mechanisms.”
I can add that my brand new C4 "Urukay" has traces of that white grease around the trigger mechanism and it's fixing screws, so C4 definitely use it to put the gun together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4 Carbon grease.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	243751  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #185
kodama

Sigalsub CF 110 speargun test

I have been absent for a while because of family expansion.

But here is the verdict after the real life hunting experience I got in Greece with my modified Sigalsub.

If I had to describe it in one sentence it would be laser accuracy until the end of the shooting line with a double wrap.

But there is more to it...
Paired with the Ghost shaft the buoyancy is excellent. With the shaft in it is slightly buoyant at the surface. However descending 1 meter the gun becomes negative. This is an unexpected added benefit since I decent Giorgio-Dapiran-style, pushing the gun into free fall seconds before I dive. Picking it up in a fluent motion and ‘shouldering’ it. This allows me to do a completely silent duckdive and having my arms free to aid overcoming the buoyancy of the first meters. When diving deep I enjoy being perfectly weighted and not overweighted!

After the first dive session the gun just felt like an extension of my arm and not having to compensate for any drop of the shaft as what I got accustomed to with shooting rollers just felt really wonderful.

However I overestimated the shooting distance which caused me to loose a really nice goldblotch. Hit him right behind the gill plate, a good shot placement but the spear being at the end of the shooting line it didn’t penetrate enough causing the flopper not to deploy and I witnessed that beautiful fish just wiggle itself off the spear. Extremely frustrating and nothing less than my own damn fault! Nonetheless my buddy got another one that day and we got plenty of fish for several nice dinners.

Two days later on the second dive I encountered the queen hunting in the current next to a wall close to the bottom at around 28m. I was not going to pass on this opportunity and waited patiently. There curiosity is what does them.
That turned into a great day.

The gun overall is nothing less than a great performer. For a gun this size with a classic setup I can not wish for more.

I did have another issue with the shaft on one div where the cone didn’t slide back causing the flopper not to open. I do have a solution for that so it can’t happen anymore and will come back to that later.

Just can’t wait to be hunting again in a clear waters. Unfortunately that may have to wait until next summer. Cold and murk ahead for now.

Last edited by kodama; 09-27-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #186
popgun pete

Quote:
I have been absent for a while because of family expansion.

But here is the verdict after the real life hunting experience I got in Greece with my modified Sigalsub.

If I had to describe it in one sentence it would be laser accuracy until the end of the shooting line with a double wrap.

But there is more to it...
Paired with the Ghost shaft the buoyancy is excellent. With the shaft in it is slightly buoyant at the surface. However descending 1 meter the gun becomes negative. This is an unexpected added benefit since I decent Giorgio-Dapiran-style, pushing the gun into free fall seconds before I dive. Picking it up in a fluent motion and ‘shouldering’ it. This allows me to do a completely silent duckdive and having my arms free to aid overcoming the buoyancy of the first meters. When diving deep I enjoy being perfectly weighted and not overweighted!

After the first dive session the gun just felt like an extension of my arm and not having to compensate for any drop of the shaft as what I got accustomed to with shooting rollers just felt really wonderful.

However I overestimated the shooting distance which caused me to loose a really nice goldblotch. Hit him right behind the gill plate, a good shot placement but the spear being at the end of the shooting line it didn’t penetrate enough causing the flopper not to deploy and I witnessed that beautiful fish just wiggle itself off the spear. Extremely frustrating and nothing less than my own damn fault! Nonetheless my buddy got another one that day and we got plenty of fish for several nice dinners.

Two days later on the second dive I encountered the queen hunting in the current next to a wall close to the bottom at around 28m. I was not going to pass on this opportunity and waited patiently. There curiosity is what does them.
That turned into a great day.

The gun overall is nothing less than a great performer. For a gun this size with a classic setup I can not wish for more.

I did have another issue with the shaft on one div where the cone didn’t slide back causing the flopper not to open. I do have a solution for that so it can’t happen anymore and will come back to that later.

Just can’t wait to be hunting again in a clear waters. Unfortunately that may have to wait until next summer. Cold and murk ahead for now.
Good shooting and congratulations on the addition to the family!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #187
Marco

Nice fish!

Regarding that shaft, you're not the first one that looses a fish because of it. I've friends that tried it and went back to original old flopper shafts.

PS: Are you that ugly that don't show your face?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #188
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Good shooting and congratulations on the addition to the family!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #189
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Nice fish!

Regarding that shaft, you're not the first one that looses a fish because of it. I've friends that tried it and went back to original old flopper shafts.

PS: Are you that ugly that don't show your face?

Uglier than you could ever imagine. Darth Vader is a beauty queen compared to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #190
spearq8

Nice fish! I agree that the Ghost shaft is not good … flopper just doesn't hold well. My favourite shaft is the Sporasub One shaft, but unfortunately Omer bought out Sporasub and now that America One shaft has a horrible flopper that can come of with even a smallish fish. The older Sporasub America One shaft had an MIM hardened SS flopper that was a work of art and was extremely strong. But really any good quality 17-4 PH shaft with a coned flopper will work better than the Ghost. Salvimar have just launched some very nice shark finned shafts with laser welded MIM (metal injection molding) fins. They don't have a cone and the floppers are not tuned, but that is a simple fix. The previous Salvimar shafts actually shot quite well but they had wired shark fins that were terrible ... the wishbone would always slip off the fins and trying to load more than 1 band was like walking on eggshells … any touch of the previously loaded wishbone and it slips off. I bought a ton of these new shafts from Salvimar and still haven't tried them, but they look to be a very good choice at a very reasonable price from Diveinn. The great thing is that they have these shafts also in 7.5mm and even 8mm!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:40 AM   #191
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Kodama,
Beautiful fish and big kudos for getting back with a proper report! Seems you found a gun which suits you perfectly, congrats
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #192
kodama

Thanks guys for the interest, input and support.
And thanks to Spearq8 since he put this gun on my radar and inspired me to do some modifications.

For spearfishing in the Mediterranean Sea I will never need another gun anymore.
Some of my friends have been going to Cabo Verde a couple of times lately for BW hunting.
When I am going to join I have another excuse to get me ‘just one more gun ‘...

I have been a woodworker all my life but nonetheless I am totally sold to carbon fiber guns. Mainly because of the lack of maintenance compared to wood you take into a salt water environment.

Briante has been on my radar for the last year. I have also heard through the grapevine that C4 is developing new models so I am curious to see what will come out of that.

Regarding the Sigalsub gun I am going to try the Ghost shaft with another slight modification and might look into different shafts as spq8 suggested.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #193
popgun pete

Quote:
And thanks to Spearq8 since he put this gun on my radar and inspired me to do some modifications.

For spearfishing in the Mediterranean Sea I will never need another gun anymore.
Some of my friends have been going to Cabo Verde a couple of times lately for BW hunting.

I have been a woodworker all my life but nonetheless I am totally sold to carbon fiber guns. Mainly because of the lack of maintenance compared to wood you take into a salt water environment.

Briante has been on my radar for the last year. I have also heard through the grapevine that C4 is developing new models so I am curious to see what will come out of that.

Regarding the Sigalsub gun I am going to try the Ghost shaft with another slight modification and might look into different shafts as spq8 suggested.
If C4 are going to stay in the speargun business then expect to see an inverted rollergun other than the Contesub conversion job which is a bolt on modification which has rather big muzzle rollers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13220754_1707916512779999_7106800961272338398_o.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	244056   Click image for larger version

Name:	13217613_1707910572780593_7434691438050195757_o.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	244057  
Old 09-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #194
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:

Just curious but have you seen any Briante guns in person?
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 AM   #195
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Just curious but have you seen any Briante guns in person?

No I haven’t but I have been looking at the pictures on his Instagram account and one of mu buddies has been inquiring about a gun true email.
I am not going to buy one any time soon but I fascinated with his craftsmanship.
I would love to hear from people who have been using them.