Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?
Always 331 85.97%
Most of the time 31 8.05%
Sometimes 8 2.08%
Practically never 11 2.86%
Never 4 1.04%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
riff
><>

Re: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

not shocked by results
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
Diablo Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Thank you. Smartest thing said and will be said on this pole.
Yes, that would be a better question, but that is not what has been asked. This topic and question is a good one. For those that are experienced divers, scuba and free, know the dangers that can occur in diving and how important it is to carry a knife.

But what about those that are new to the sport? They are so "Gung Ho" to get into the water with their new gear, to which, most can barely afford, and find that a knife is just an extra expense that is not in the budget yet. Problem is, they do know better. They are new to the sport. They usually get everything used or on a strict budget. Most are young, probably students, but some are older. Not everyone has the proper guidance....or even has any idea where to get the guidance. Some people live in areas that have tons of divers, and some live in areas that have few divers.

As a person who is in a club that caters to new divers, I see a lot of divers that lack any guidance....or very little, and they are not properly geared. So that they do not become a statistic, I choose to give them guidance, rather than condemnation.

For those of us that have that experience, this thread might be all-too-obvious, but to the new diver who reads this thread, might have a chance to see why others choose their knife locations and why. And with someone like you with your vast experience, should be making positive and constructive statements that will conducive and perpetuate the sport. Your condescending attitude and statements are counter-productive to the sport. Make a viable contribution.........or just keep your comments to your self.

Monterey Bay Triton's
Dive Safety Officer

"They don't call me 'Diablo Loco' for nothing."
Diablo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
jstiver09

How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

Don't forget...just because you're carrying a knife doesn't mean you can cut through 400lb mono with that knife...many out of the box knives aren't as sharp as you think. If you can't cut it in one swipe out of water you are in deep trouble in a panic situation underwater. I wear a knife on my belt and a pair of medical shears on my calf. They cut through my SS cable without much trouble...$5-10 and just replace when they get rusty/bent. Buy a more expensive pair that is made for diving first, save the sheath and replace with cheaper shears as needed.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #19
ReefGuy

I'll go ahead and put an add up for this http://www.eezycut.com.

I've cut myself out of trout nets, cut multiple layers of seatbelts, 3/8" rope, and more fishing line that I can remember. All underwater, all effortlessly. It packs light and small, installs anywhere, is safe to use in 0 vis, and is extremely sharp, with replaceable surgical steel blades. FAR better than any set of shears I've ever used. Everyone on my dive team carries one of these, and I highly recommend them to my students. $20.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trilobyte.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	206505  
ReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
Thank you. Smartest thing said and will be said on this pole.
Post #6
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #21
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefGuy View Post
I'll go ahead and put an add up for this http://www.eezycut.com.

I've cut myself out of trout nets, cut multiple layers of seatbelts, 3/8" rope, and more fishing line that I can remember. All underwater, all effortlessly. It packs light and small, installs anywhere, is safe to use in 0 vis, and is extremely sharp, with replaceable surgical steel blades. FAR better than any set of shears I've ever used. Everyone on my dive team carries one of these, and I highly recommend them to my students. $20.

These look cool. I may pick one up...still need something to cut cable though, assuming these don't.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Kapono

I've definitely considered getting one like that, I just want sure hire effective it would be. I guess it's totally written the purchase. Ever cut through 300+ mono shooting line?
Kapono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
riff
><>

Honestly, i like this knife:
Amazon.com : Fury Tactical Extreme Dive Knife : Spearfishing : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Fury Tactical Extreme Dive Knife : Spearfishing : Sports & Outdoors

It's sharp, small - i wear it on my L arm, near my bicep so it doesnt get snagged on seaweed and its great for cutting and braining fish.

its also cheap so if i lose or break it, im g00d
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
ReefGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapono View Post
I've definitely considered getting one like that, I just want sure hire effective it would be. I guess it's totally written the purchase. Ever cut through 300+ mono shooting line?
Not sure, a lot of what I cut, I don't get to see, but I don't see it having any problem cutting any weight mono line. What I can do, however, is show it in action. For training this month (6/20), we're doing our underwater harassment drill, and I'm sure some of my guys will be using their trilobite. I'll be filming it this year, so I'll try to get some good footage and post it.

And to make it clear, I have no affiliation with the makers of the trilobite, it's just an amazing safety device.
ReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #25
Bob Ballew

Any issue regarding safety is worth input...maybe even the critics will learn a thing or two... I carry a $2 bait knife at all times...on my waist where I can reach it with both hands...bait knives have serrated edges and a sharp side for multiple uses...lose it and I reach into my case for another one of 6 I stock up on...
...have found lots of $50 knives on the bottom...wasted money for the most part...use it for a new shaft or toward a gun...
...As to why? At pv on the outside bottom, a 40 lb wsb wrapped tight into kelp stalks...the one time I forgot to replace a lost knife...ended up chewing thru the kelp stalks with my teeth to free the fish....at Catalina, a 50 lb plus yellow took me straight down to 70' when I tried to shortline him away from wrapping in kelp strands and ripping off..had the line wrapped my ankle, the knife would have saved my bacon..and, if you are in the mouth of an eater, a stab to the eye just might get you released.... need I say more?
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
jsspagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
I forgot to replace a lost knife...ended up chewing thru the kelp stalks with my teeth to free the fish....
That is awesome!
jsspagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Thumbs up Re: How often do you carry a knife while spearfishing?

I've said it before and I'll say it again..
If you're gonna use a cheap knife, carry more than one!
What are you gonna do when your blade snaps?
Not saying buy a $70 + knife but it is a rather essential item.
I recommend a full soak on all equipment and make sure your knife gets dried real well, then some wd40 and then sharpen it if necessary.
I get the new divers overlook this but I wasn't condemning the post, just being sarcastic I guess.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #28
danaslayer
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff View Post
Honestly, i like this knife: Amazon.com : Fury Tactical Extreme Dive Knife : Spearfishing : Sports & Outdoors

It's sharp, small - i wear it on my L arm, near my bicep so it doesnt get snagged on seaweed and its great for cutting and braining fish.

its also cheap so if i lose or break it, im g00d
Finally someone else who knows about this knife! These knives cut through fish skull like butter, and just about anything else that's needed. Love my fury dive knife, hell I'm going order a couple more right now just as backup!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
kwtony
Snorkel Master

My favorite dive knife is the cheapest stainless pointed knife at the bait house. its got a razor sharp edge, comes with a sheath, and only 3.99...
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #30
Namor
Goletard

Any one who uses heavy mono like the 400lb stuff I use (dont want those perch to snap my line) might consider practicing cutting it multiple times with their knife next time they change their shooting line.

Cutting through it with the knife at a 90 degree angle is much harder than cutting into it at 45 degrees or shallower. its worth practicing, as the right technique makes all the difference with the heavier hard mono. Not something you want to learn about while underwater at the end of your breathhold.

Knives that do not have a full tang, tip to pommel; and those made of 304 stainless, like some higher end Wenoka knives, are fine for braining fish, so is your spear tip. For real cutting chores, or dealing with heavier, die hard fish like angel sharks, something that will stand up to heavy use is a better bet.

Jeremy