Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
grey2112

Recommendations for fabricator of dive ladder/platform in NPR/Clearwater area?

Looking to get a custom made dive ladder/platform made for the Pelican.

Current one and some ideas on this thread since I can't seem to imbed pics here.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida...l#post12045548
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #2
Eibwen

Re: Recommendations for fabricator of dive ladder/platform in NPR/Clearwater area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Looking to get a custom made dive ladder/platform made for the Pelican.

Current one and some ideas on this thread since I can't seem to imbed pics here.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/florida...l#post12045548
Holding onto the PP?
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #3
grey2112

Re: Recommendations for fabricator of dive ladder/platform in NPR/Clearwater area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
Holding onto the PP?
Yeah, I decided that the price of being a little more selective of my days is a HELL of a lot less $$ than the price of a new/newer cat. For the cost of a few boat payments I can upgrade and swap out some items on the Pelican. New tires for the trailer, dive ladder, maybe some Strataglass, even some new electronics as mine finally die (though that may be a while in the future) - still a LOT less expensive than boat payments.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
CuzzA

Eric, here's my thoughts. I'm not a fan of the closed side ladder because you have to doff your fins before planting your feet. With current, waves, a pitching boat, I would much prefer a true dive ladder with the open sides so you can stand on it as you're taking your fins off. I think it's much safer to be rolling with the boat than having the boat roll on you. Plus we've all done it. Let go of the boat, no fins and you're treading water trying to swim back to the ladder.

That said, you already have a platform built into the hull, you have two good strong grab rails, all that's missing is a dive ladder.

I would remove the small platform and ladder and get a four step dive ladder with a hinged transom bracket. Tie a line to the bottom of the ladder and run it to a cleat. This way you can easily pull it up, you'll also have a solid visual that it's up.

Nothing custom needed. Just buy the ladder and bracket, preferably a bracket that is angled away from the boat to clear the trim tab and act more like stairs than a ladder, get some 1/4 inch aluminum back plates, seal it with 4200 and you're good to go. Maybe at a minimum all you would need is a short stand off rail to mount the bracket if the trim tab sticks out too far and is in the way.

Total cost would be around $400, give or take.

Last edited by CuzzA; 12-08-2018 at 04:23 PM.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
CuzzA

This is what I would buy.

http://www.accuright.net/boatladder/...-ladder-detail

The pic is screwed up on the 4 step ladder, but have a look at the 3 for reference.

Even has a small platform to get it off the boat. This would be perfect for your setup.

And check the weight rating compared to typical mass produced sport ladders.

Here's another option to get off the transom and away from the tab.

I am likely putting this brand on my boat.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
grey2112

Problem is I'm not a fan of those myself. Every time I've used them on other boats I didn't like them for various reasons. I love the idea of a true hand rail that allows you to use it from the moment you get up to the boat in the water all the way until you are walking through the tuna door. And some I've seen are wide enough to allow you to put your finned foot through them and then let you take the fins off.

Yeah, I know it will cost some $$ but I really like them for stability, strength, non angle (which I'd have to have for my boat to clear the tabs), etc.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
CuzzA

I'm not sure I explained my idea well enough. Leave your existing grab rails, just ditch the small platform for a ladder.

Your platform is at the water line. There's not much to need to grab underwater. You can see at 4:22 in this video climbing your boat.

http://youtu.be/indVEdUqjOM?t=262

I think most cats get away with big wide closed ladders to plant your feet because they have so much room between the engines, but they're still cumbersome as your pulling long freedive fins back out to doff. I'm not sure you have the width to make it work.

Just sharing my ideas, I would obviously do what you like, not me.

I'll bet doing something custom like you posted on THT is going to cost $1k plus, maybe closer to $2.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
grey2112

Hmm - maybe next time you are over we can walk through this, think about it, etc. I just really like the idea of having a lot of railing to hold onto as you come up on to the platform. Maybe there's a way of making something like that happen for less using piping plus a dive ladder like you linked.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
jfjf

If I were having a custom ladder made, it would have flat rungs not circular.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
If I were having a custom ladder made, it would have flat rungs not circular.
Oh definitely!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
CuzzA

I'm with you on that, and I think it will be achieved by getting rid of the smaller dive ladder platform. Once it's out of the way, you have those two nice rails to grab hold of. I think it would be a nice upgrade with money left to burn on other upgrades.

I just know custom welded pipe work ain't cheap. You could put that saved money toward a auto pilot or radar. I also think eisenglass would be a big improvement for sporty days.

I'd be happy to come up, offer my thoughts as a passenger. Shoot me message and we'll work something out.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
grey2112

I had another thought - I still really like the idea of the type of ladder and rails I described, and don't mind paying some for it, but now I'm thinking of a hybrid - at the bottom run when the ladder is deployed, perhaps attach/weld or make part of the original bottom rung the bottom "T" (inverted) of the type of dive ladder you linked - that way at the bottom you can plant your finned foot with no issues, get the fins off, and then step up onto the full width rungs of the dive ladder and step up.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
grey2112

Kind of like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder mockup.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	240765  
Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
sealark

Here is what I made crude but works. I'm 75 still using it. Yes I come into boat with fins on. 1/4 in aluminum for platform. 1 inch closed cell foam neoprene contact cemented on aluminum. Hinge is made fron 1 in 5050 al. Angle with a 3/8 stainless rod. The rest is visible in pictures when running it comes up or if you forget it sends spray 10 ft in air. If you want a purty dive platform dont waste time reading but it has worked fine for my old ass for 30 years. It doesnt interfere with steering either. Need more info pm my cell and I'll text or call back. Ron.

Last edited by sealark; 12-09-2018 at 02:38 PM.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
sealark

Forgot I also get in boat with all dive gear on.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote