Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #16
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Re: How do you store a speargun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
A vacuum sealer is one of the most useful things in a house and they are quite cheap. I bought this was this summer and works really well.

Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

They are great for keeping rubber bands fresh for a loooong time and am sure will keep anything well protected, and due to the air being sucked out it also makes the items much more compact. With the rolls, you can easily cut out a full length of the gun and seal it as one long bag.
spearq8, what is cheap for a Kuwaiti with over 400 spearguns may not be for a Filipino with a few...just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Vacuum sealer sounds great but I don't think you will find one of those were I'm at in the Philippines. I found out the shaft is 17/4 heat treated stanless steal shaft. So I hope it holds up keeping it stored in a dry place like the closet. I have a gun bag from Mako but don't know if I should put it in it. It has mess openings in it. It's not fully inclosed.
17-4 ph stainless steel or any stainless steel does not mean it is corrosion proof. I don't want to get into the whole materials science aspect, but, if given the correct length of time, all things corrode or dissolve, even in freshwater. Yes, even glass, although it might take a few millennia. What you are avoiding, by placing a barrier coat of oil, is any form of corrosion that could take place in the micro cracks of a used shaft. Micro cracks form when the shaft is bent, at any time, or when the shaft impacts a hard surface, or has been welded, or drilled. These micro cracks may never become problematic with normal use, but in a high salinity environment, they do need protection. I collaborated with a Spearboard member who worked in the Marshall Islands. He would have to continuously replace stainless steel parts on machinery in a building due to the high salt content of the humid air corroding them.

You can use cooking oil or vegetable oil for a barrier coat, but it will leave a thick layer of enamel when it oxidizes or dries out, much like it does on a frying pan or what tung oil or teak oil does on wood. You will have to scrub that gummy enamel off on places like the trigger notch, flopper pin, and any other holes in the spear, before you can use it again.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
Timinator

I very carefully place each of my dive pieces, including guns, and most of my gear on my ping-pong table. It's a beautiful sight.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #18
ricreds20012001

How hard was it to bring a speargun in the philippnes?, im planning on a trip to the islands. Sorry for jcking your tread.
Thanks for the Usefull informaton
ricreds20012001 is offline   Reply With Quote