Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
GoproTheron

Re: Increase Hawaiian sling power?

wow those pictures are insane.. the good ole days when 500+ pound groupers were abundant... i just have a regular sling with a mahogany handle. i made sure i picked out the strongest one there, i mean they work... but when i see guys accurately killing a 50lb tuna 20ft away in the ocean with a spear gun, and i cant even kill a hog from 10ft its just depressing. basic sling are only accurate and powerful about 4ft away from their target.

as someone mentioned to me above these sling look like the bomb!

some discussion / pictures are here- http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=57712

im gonna buy it and see how it works. although what band strength should i be looking at? heavy or super heavy?

GoproTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
LBI SPEARO

Currently using store bought plastic sling. Purchased from Fl. Freedivers. Has 3/8" rubber on it. I shortened the rubber for more power.

Once I build my new sling I will share - I hope for it to be more powerful and more stable for the wrist given increased power.

Pinder brothers were amazing. I suppose with tons of practice, especially at a younger age, one can become very proficient with a sling.

I have ordered 1/2" small inner diameter, rubber. That should increase distance.
LBI SPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

What I like about the old wooden sling is where the rubber is attached in relation to the front hand placement. See pic of diver in the water. The sling butts into the palm of your hand, fairly far behind the rubber attach point, giving you a stretch. With 60" x 9/32" spears I've been able to shoot pretty long shots... the more gravity aided the better!

Note that all the newer models, plastic or wood have the band attached behind the divers hand. About 4 to 5 inches back, which means less band stretch.... aka less power!

I have not shot the Hawaiiansling.net sling, but I have pulled it back and felt it out. It might be really good, but the one thing I noticed was that the top pulled much harder than the bottom, due to the shorter design. I wonder if this would effect accuracy?

Google the name Sea Archer,you will see some more design ideas.

Chad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sheri%20sling%20shot%202%20sw.jpg
Views:	2567
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	169943   Click image for larger version

Name:	p_hawaiian-sling.png
Views:	1746
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	169944   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood sling vs plastic sling.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	169945  
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
LBI SPEARO

interesting perspective. Wouldn't just shortening the band acclomplish the same thing? Although haveing the bands in front of your wrist may give you more stabillity, not sure.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Commander Coo1
Registered abUser

I live on Andros Island in the Bahamas and I have had the same problem. I lived in south Florida and used my 110 cm railgun and was pretty disappointed when i shot a hogfish with my sling from 6 feet away and it just bounced off!

I have one of the black plastic tube style slings, what i did was:
get thicker bands (whatever you can pull)
remove bands and attach backwards so now i slip my left hand under the bands when i shoot it.
and i also shoot a 1/4" x 6' shaft with a tri-cut tip.

i also have a sling from http://hawaiiansling.net/
he has a prototype that uses rollers which is a great sling. i have also mounted my flashlight to the sling and have had great success with it. Ray is also great to deal with. give him a call and he will set you up!

47lb grouper ( i also used a polespear after the sling shaft was rendered useless!)

Last edited by Commander Coo1; 04-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Commander Coo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Ironworker

Commander,

Damn nice grouper! Couple of questions if you don't mind. What is the green attachment, I didn't see it on the site. Also you mentioned a roller prototype? Lastly what kind of range can you get with a medium or medium heavy band?
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
GoproTheron

commander, that is one hell of a grouper! looks like i might have to take a trip from long island to Andros and go spearing with you! how do you like the Hawaiian sling from hawaiiansling.net? was it sufficient? i just ordered the super heavy band for supposed "gorillas" ill see how it works out, and let you guys know. i also heard someone mention a warping problem with those slings, where a shaft would not go through it anymore.. ever had a similar problem?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
HurricaneBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
Commander,

Damn nice grouper! Couple of questions if you don't mind. What is the green attachment, I didn't see it on the site. Also you mentioned a roller prototype? Lastly what kind of range can you get with a medium or medium heavy band?
That green attachment is a dive light it looks like, a pretty cool setup he has going. I too am interested in how the roller system works seems like with some creative engineering you could pack a lot of punch into a Hawaiian sling using rollers.
HurricaneBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
Commander Coo1
Registered abUser

Thanks for the complements on the grouper! it was definitely an exciting (and tasty) catch!

Ironworker:
The green attachment is a UK miniQ40 eLED plus dive light that I mounted on the side. It was not on the site, just something i did on my own.

The sling i have is a prototype that Ray Uppstrom (hawwaiiansling.net) is making. I went to Deerfield Beach and met up with Ray to buy a sling and he made the mistake of showing me his prototype roller sling... I don't know if he is selling them yet, i pretty much had to beg him to let me buy his prototype! But he says he is going to be picking up production in the next few months and he will be selling the roller sling and a few other really cool innovative creations.

The range is really dependent on the fish you target. I had a 7/16 band on when i shot that grouper, and the spear hit him but did not entirely penetrate. but i believe it toggled in his vital organs so it slowed him down quite a bit. I have shot completely through a 10 lb grouper with it before at about 4' away. I have taken good shots on smaller fish at up to 10' away with the medium band. I am going to order the medium-heavy, and heavy bands from Ray to try out soon.

GoproTheron:
It would be great to do some spearing together over the summer! Andros is a blast to spear on. How is Long Island? It looks beautiful from pictures i have seen and it is definitely a goal of mine to make it out there someday! How long have you lived there?

I really like the sling from Hawwaiiansling.net, it has a great balanced feel to it. Its almost like its easier to pull back and hold than a regular sling, so its possible to shoot with larger bands. I have not used the sling on his website but i have held one and have drawn it back while on land and it is much more comfortable to shoot than any of the tube or pistol grip slings out there. Before I bought mine i asked about the warping issue and was told that there was a bad batch of material that caused the sling to have issues. He no longer has that issue. Mine has been great so far (like 5 months).
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #25
GoproTheron

Thanks so much for the info! i needed reassurance that i wasn't buying a dud i just hope i can pull back that super heavy band! most likely ill buy a range of power bands for backup and different situations like heavy bands for groupers and lighter bands for crawfish.

spearing up here in long island is great! been here for 12 years already, since we moved from Spanish wells, lots of deep water and the banks are right on the other side of the island for shallow spearing. although i doubt it's half as good as spearing in Andros!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #26
phil herranen

heres one i did a little while back
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=131663
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Ironworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoproTheron View Post
Thanks so much for the info! i needed reassurance that i wasn't buying a dud i just hope i can pull back that super heavy band! most likely ill buy a range of power bands for backup and different situations like heavy bands for groupers and lighter bands for crawfish.

spearing up here in long island is great! been here for 12 years already, since we moved from Spanish wells, lots of deep water and the banks are right on the other side of the island for shallow spearing. although i doubt it's half as good as spearing in Andros!
Gopro Theron,

Its a damn small world, I'm in Spanish Wells. I'd say between the 3 of us we've got all the fish hemmed in. I've flown over Long Island and spent a couple of nights there but never done any boating or fishing there. Long Island is a nice place.
Ironworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #28
manoa matt

Here is another "Hawaiian sling" build. http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142516
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
LBI SPEARO

Real neat sling you made. What is the appx. shooting distance under water? What did U make the wrist brace from? I would suspect you get more pulling power and support using the wrist brace. you could even go a tad thicker on the bands I bet, then real power
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
GoproTheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker View Post
Gopro Theron,

Its a damn small world, I'm in Spanish Wells. I'd say between the 3 of us we've got all the fish hemmed in. I've flown over Long Island and spent a couple of nights there but never done any boating or fishing there. Long Island is a nice place.
Haha a very small world! how is Spanish wells doing anyways? i haven't seen it in the last 12 years!