Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 12-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #16
popgun pete

Re: Wooden speargun grips for sale from Emirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
the handle required a Trigger guard you can check the left arrows in last picture ,

other piece is the Ballast cover ,it have advantage of add/remove the reel without drill any hole on the wood ,just machine screws with lock nuts can be used beside you can hide your lead under that cover .
Do you have a website? Your posts are all over the Web, but a simple website would consolidate the information and people could then get a better handle on your work (no pun intended).
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #17
doyenofcastle

it is a good idea ,I ll check how to do it ,
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #18
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Where are you located and is this handle your work as I seem to sense a connection from your remarks. In the old days wooden grip handles were affixed by a metal rod that provided a central column inside the grip and this provided strength and a mechanical attachment. How is this handle affixed to the gun stock? I assume that it is glued on, but nothing worse than a handle busting and the gun butt in your face with the effects of recoil.
In USA majority of famous speargun manufacturer use the handle frame and grip ,in Europe they use a wood handle instead ,not all but majority ,is that because of style or something related to design /safety ?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #19
popgun pete

Quote:
In USA majority of famous speargun manufacturer use the handle frame and grip ,in Europe they use a wood handle instead ,not all but majority ,is that because of style or something related to design /safety ?
A handle reinforcement goes back a long way as can be seen by this US patent.
The photo shows Jack Prodanovich's speargun handle from 1941 and is thought to be the first US band powered speargun. The gun is a combination of metal work and a timber barrel and handle, the handle being of a "D" shape for strength as the fingerguard is part of the grip. Strong handles were seen as essential to not receiving the gun butt in your face if something busted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thorburn gun.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	240834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Prodanovich first speargun.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	240835  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-13-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
SEATUX

Quote:
A handle reinforcement goes back a long way as can be seen by this US patent.
The photo shows Jack Prodanovich's speargun handle from 1941 and is thought to be the first US band powered speargun. The gun is a combination of metal work and a timber barrel and handle, the handle being of a "D" shape for strength as the fingerguard is part of the grip. Strong handles were seen as essential to not receiving the gun butt in your face if something busted.
I would guess that the main function is not as a handle reinforcement but as a method to securely mount a wooden handle to a metal barrel...cant very well use glue.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #21
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I would guess that the main function is not as a handle reinforcement but as a method to securely mount a wooden handle to a metal barrel...cant very well use glue.
Many US spearguns were metal handles such as the Spearfisherman Company's guns, although on the East Coast rifle form guns were timber guns such as the Florida and Palm Beach Reef Rifles. If anything the timber handle pistol grip gun comes from Australia with inverted Stanley wood plane handles being used on the Undersee guns brought to the USA. These guns have an attachment bolt in the handle and a timber stock.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #22
popgun pete

Addict guns have timber handles, but the attachment to the stock is over a large area, as can be seen here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paul_Herrin_Addict_Handle.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	240837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Addict gun grip lhs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	240838  
Old 12-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #23
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Addict guns have timber handles, but the attachment to the stock is over a large area, as can be seen here.

when I use neptonic regular trigger or similar design I can put large tenon behind it ,but for the reverse type the trigger will be inside the handle tenon and decreasing the contact area ,so beside grain direction and dryness of the wood ,what should be the minimum tenon area ?only accident I have heard when wong gun handle broken and hit sheri face .
Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
popgun pete

Quote:
when I use neptonic regular trigger or similar design I can put large tenon behind it ,but for the reverse type the trigger will be inside the handle tenon and decreasing the contact area ,so beside grain direction and dryness of the wood ,what should be the minimum tenon area ?only accident I have heard when wong gun handle broken and hit sheri face .
I cannot give you an answer, but I can give you some advice. Test at least one item to failure and find out what the limits are. If you don't do it and then you have a gun failure the authorities will do it for you as part of the prosecution case when legal action is taken for damages, etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #25
Mikel_24

As to answer the question of how to attach a wooden/PU handle to a wooden gun stock I would explain what I do:

I adjust the handle and the stock (sanding, filing, etc.) and then glue them with epoxy. Then, I drill the stock+handle combo (all at once) to install one or two stainless long screws (the longest I could find) that are also embebed in epoxy before screwing them into the stock-handle unit. These screws are not removable and provide some metal structure.

depeniding on the mechanism used and the suitable distance to the trigger, you can even use the mechanism screw (the one that goes in the rear side of the mechanism) to go through the mech-stock-handle all at once.

This works ok with, for example, the Ermes Evo Back Roll. With longer mechanism, such as Meandros LS, it does not work so well (the afixing screw does not fall in the vertical of the handle, mech is too long).

I hope this helps!

BTW, I made my own silicone mold and instead of wood I make my handles with PU resin. I use Featherlite from Smoothon to achieve positive flotation in the handle, but other products can be used. Now all my handles come out identical!
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #26
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
As to answer the question of how to attach a wooden/PU handle to a wooden gun stock I would explain what I do:

I adjust the handle and the stock (sanding, filing, etc.) and then glue them with epoxy. Then, I drill the stock+handle combo (all at once) to install one or two stainless long screws (the longest I could find) that are also embebed in epoxy before screwing them into the stock-handle unit. These screws are not removable and provide some metal structure.

depeniding on the mechanism used and the suitable distance to the trigger, you can even use the mechanism screw (the one that goes in the rear side of the mechanism) to go through the mech-stock-handle all at once.

This works ok with, for example, the Ermes Evo Back Roll. With longer mechanism, such as Meandros LS, it does not work so well (the afixing screw does not fall in the vertical of the handle, mech is too long).

I hope this helps!

BTW, I made my own silicone mold and instead of wood I make my handles with PU resin. I use Featherlite from Smoothon to achieve positive flotation in the handle, but other products can be used. Now all my handles come out identical!
this a good idea with PU resign ,I think it won't expand as wood ,so for SS screw or rod when it use for fixing a wood does the less expanding ratio make a source for future cracks ?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #27
popgun pete

Check out this old Undersee "Bazooka" handle, the part of the grip that you hold has broken off due to cracking during decades of storage. This gun was also produced as the "Seahunter", it may have come down to the stickers in the box at the factory, although they are a form of transfer. "Bazooka" guns generally had an inverted wood plane handle as was mentioned earlier, note the fixing bolt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Undersee Bazooka or Seahunter.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	240922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Undersee Bazooka or Seahunter detail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	240923  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-18-2018 at 01:00 AM.