Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
madadder

keys in the summer help

wanting to come down and hang out for a week in the summer with the fam....spearing and fishing and just relaxing.
any advice on a good place to stay/what key/cool spots/etc?
thanks for any info
would prob fly to miami then start driving.
madadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
madadder

Re: keys in the summer help

ugh there's soooo many places it's a bit overwhelming!
i guess if you guys could at least help me to focus on an area (?largo/marathon/lower?)would help the most. it would be me and a 10yo kid spearing, pretty much just having fun and nothing too serious. the other kid just digs fishing...wife is chill and will be stoked pretty much anywhere as long as there's cerveza
Old 04-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Long Key and north spearfishing is prohibited until 3 miles offshore. Marathon is a great all-around place. Less touristy but still tourists and a lot to do. Plenty of Cerveza. Our shop Formula Freediving will be open in 2-3 weeks stop by when you come down.
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Thomasj1107

I second that marathon is a good choice. You can look for ledges and holes in the gulf to get the ten year old in the water, snorkel atlantic reefs for the whole family and fish...everywhere. Great food, especially keys fisheries (my favorite).

If you want to go down further I recommend cudjoe or summerland. Stayed on summerland for a month, probably the least touristy of any key. Looe Key is amazing, but no spearing there. The only downside is restaurants and grocery stores are a little fewer and further between, just depends on what you want.
Thomasj1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Nathan Florian

Marathon is where we go each year ( multiple times) and IMHO it is by far the best if you want to do a little bit of everything.
Nathan Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
madadder

Thanks for the info!
Any ideas on places to stay in marathon??
I like how it's kinda in the middle.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Thin man

Vrbo.com is a good source to find a rental house. There are a lot of rentals throughout the keys and you can find one that suits your needs, price range, etc on that site. I haven't fished many other places, but Marathon has worked for us. I have three little kids, two of whom are capable snorkelers, and Marathon gives you good water from 6' to as deep as you can handle. We have friends with a place on Key Colony that we stay at when there. If you are military, you can rent a cottage and boat through the USCG Marathon station. Our family circus will be coming down in August to tear the place up.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
madadder

Found a cool house near man o war dr/st on a canal. Is it Ok for the kids to snorkel and spear the flats in the vaca key bight right out front?
Old 04-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #9
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

There is very very strong currents off those flats, no reef either, There can also be lots of bullsharks at times.

for kids snorkeling in that area try COFFINS PATCH its not too far offshore (4 miles maybe), its very shallow and protected reef with lots and lots of life and nice scenery.

SNORKELING in sombrero light is a little deepr/farther but also very good place to take kids snorkeling. A 4 mile stretch of the reef north of the light is pretty nice and legal to spear in. and shallow also.

My parents own/rent a home on a canal in key colony (with a very short drive out to the ocean),the renting of the home includes a memership to a beach club with a sand beach, pool, bar, and pier facing the ocean. about a 2 minute walk from the house
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #10
Thomasj1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
There is very very strong currents off those flats, no reef either, There can also be lots of bullsharks at times.

for kids snorkeling in that area try COFFINS PATCH its not too far offshore (4 miles maybe), its very shallow and protected reef with lots and lots of life and nice scenery.

SNORKELING in sombrero light is a little deepr/farther but also very good place to take kids snorkeling. A 4 mile stretch of the reef north of the light is pretty nice and legal to spear in. and shallow also.

My parents own/rent a home on a canal in key colony (with a very short drive out to the ocean),the renting of the home includes a memership to a beach club with a sand beach, pool, bar, and pier facing the ocean. about a 2 minute walk from the house

As far as the 4 mile stretch north of the light... do you mean in hawks channel? How shallow are you talking about?
Thomasj1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
diveincanada

Go all the way to Key West, it's beautiful !
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #12
madadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post

think we're gonna kick it at the colony, prices are great.
is it best to rent our own boat or go with somebody?
looks like pretty easy navigating to those spots. thx