Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
kodama

improving Pathos Sniper Roller 95

After using the Pathos Sniper roller 95 for more then a year I am looking to improve it's performance. A new trigger is on the way more about that later. However I need help with improving the roller itself.

It is not riding on bearings and is not as smooth as it could be. I believe retraction speed can be greatly improved by adding bearings. Thanks to the advice of another spearo on another board I am now looking into a caged needle bearing with ceramic needles but in order to find the right needles I need to have some technical information which I find hard to obtain. I was hoping you guys could help me since there are some really knowledgable people out here.

Things I need to know: (approximations are fine)

drive speed of the pulley U/min
Load in kN (radial)

We are talking about the loads that the bearing must be able to withstand. The reason we need to know is that I would like to use ceramic needles which are the best for a salt water environment and to make a bearing as thin as possible. But ceramic needles are rather fragile. We will probably end up using two or three rows of needles between 3 and 4mm. I hope 3mm since I don't want to raise the axis/direction of the contracting band.
In order to find the best saltwater solution I need to come up with some numbers to see wether this is even possible.
Any help would be appreciated!

I am hoping there are ways to get some numbers without having to resort to cumbersome pool testing, filming and analyzing the footage..
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 AM   #2
doyenofcastle

Re: improving Pathos Sniper Roller 95

there are two type cylindrical and ball bearing ,I think needle under cylindrical bearing ,I am going to made a narrow U groove and fix single or double bearing ,I have been searching for what size is required ,I found on Ebay a ball bearing with 6*6*17 mm dimension ,load can be transfer is as shown in the PDF ,but I don't know if I need single or double bearing for each roller ,u may help in that ,I am building single rubber 14 Small ID strech to 360% 90 cm length ,7 mm spear .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	236635  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCZR-606-ZR02-ceramic-bearing-6x17x6mm.pdf (116.3 KB, 177 views)
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
spearq8

There will be some good news for people who are looking for a trigger for Pathos with similar smoothness and crispness of double roller trigger.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
There will be some good news for people who are looking for a trigger for Pathos with similar smoothness and crispness of double roller trigger.

I know it should be here soon.....

Sent from the abyss
Old 02-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
pbguy420

Well, I was about to order the pathos trigger upgrade kit... Should I hold off a bit?
pbguy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbguy420 View Post
Well, I was about to order the pathos trigger upgrade kit... Should I hold off a bit?

Yes i would wait if I were you. The new double roller trigger is ready will very soon be available for purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
kodama

I cut off the rear tabs of the rubber-hooks. I have no idea why they are there in the first place and they have been annoying to me. Now it is much easier to just ‘trow’ the bands over the hooks.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
kodama

And in case you missed it, the double roller trigger is available as a 'drop-in' upgrade.
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=196077

Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
kodama

The next couple of days the EUDI show is being held in Italy and I wonder if Pathos will announce any new products or improvements. If anyone has any info or links please share them. Thanx..
http://www.apneapassion.com/news-and...s-conferences/

Question: How do you remove the safety button on the D'angelo 3 handle? The thing barley works and I rather have no safety at all instead of something that can potentially cause issues.

I am also contemplating a handle mod., stay tuned.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #10
kodama

Another upgrade to the gun. Lost the loading pad on my last trip so made an improved version out of rubber. Here is the result. Better site picture, the top of the pad is flush with the plastic of the handle nothing is sticking out like with the original one. More area means more comfortable loading and it adds 10 mm of length making it easier to load on the last shark fin.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #11
spearq8

Nice! I agree that the Pathos 2 handle has a terrible loading pad. It just gets in the way of everything and is on as an after thought.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
kodama

Being inspired by Spearq8 handle mods I set of to do my own. I wanted to decrease the distance to the trigger.
I then shaped the handle to my hand removing material for the ball of my hand to rest. All this so I can intuitively align my arm with the speargun.

You can see how I took it all the way back to where the frame started to show.

After sanding I added texture by stippling the plastic.
I like the way it came out the grip is really positive.

Modding the roller head is next.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #13
kodama

This worked really well for me since I have smaller hands. If you’re hands are larger you may be better off by adding plastic instead of removing it. What you always have to avoid is that your finger tips are touching the ball of the hand!

Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #14
Mikel_24

I don't have big hands. Glove size 9 at most. I would like to try a stock Pathos gun (stainless trigger) without swaping the mech or anything. I am not going to drop that kind of money into a pipe gun.

HOWEVER I am worried about all that D'Angelo II handle being too big (distance to trigger).

Kodama, do you have any measurements of the discance palm-trigger BEFORE and AFTER your mod?

Thanks in advance,

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:35 AM   #15
kodama

Hi Mikel,
I measured the distance of the original handle long time ago but don’t remember the exact number. Maybe someone can skip in and use a caliper to measure the D’Angello 3 handle to trigger distance?
I will get back with the new number tonight.

And just to be clear the original handle was never a problem for me either. Killed plenty of fish with the original setup. I just enjoy the tinkering.