Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
injunspearo

Thumbs up Awesome experience at Catalina

This memorial day weekend I went over to catalina to do some scuba diving on the west end. I brought my open cell suit, gun, and long blade fins in hopes of finding another spearo to hit the water with early in the mornings. The camp i was at was demonstrating some scuba gear from Atomic, and word around the camp was that the representative giving the demo was a spearfishermen also. I found him and asked him if he was and with a smile he said he was. Right then we planned to hunt on a pinnacle a mile south of our camp the next morning.

At 5:30 the next morning I waited on the dock not knowing what to expect, having never dove from a boat and having never dove a pinnacle. We headed out discussing conditions and our target species. He explained why he wanted to hunt yt, giving lots of tips about conditions to look for. We anchored up and he suggested I hunt a shallower reef on the island side of the rock for calicoes. I made a B line for that reef, and started my breathe ups. I made a few dives and picked out a nice one, right then my dive buddy was cruising by me changing location to hunt a different side of the pinnacle he laughed and said, someones got dinner! I was mesmerised by the 70 ft viz, 66 degree water, and the fat calico on my stringer. I picked out another, bigger, calico and took it. We stayed for another few minutes and then called it after the wind picked up a little bit.

On the way back he gave me the report from what he saw, or rather, what he didn't see. He explained how bait acts in the presence of big fish. He was very knowledgeable, and patient when explaining these things to me. We planned another dive for the next morning, because he had dove a few days earlier and heard croaking in another cove.

This next dive we planned was the first dive i had ever done that was strictly meant for hunting WSB. We made our way to the site, and he gave me some pointers on the relationship between the current and structures and how they effect where our targets are. We split up, and after the second dive i made in the kelp, I heard the croaking that all of you guys talk about. The water was greener, darker and cooler. It was scary, awesome, and ominous. He had put us on fish. I kept myself from shooting bigger calicoes than i had ever seen, knowing that the noise would send away all of the ghosts within 200 yards of me. I knew what i was in the water for. I dove deeper, stayed longer, was quieter and calmer on this dive than any other. I was pleased with my performance out there on this dive. As the time went by, the croaking faded, and we called it because of a time constraint.

On the boat, he said optimistically, that he saw a juvie and that 5 more minutes in the water and we both would have had fish on the deck. Nonetheless it was a great dive, it was good to start learn how to switch into that WSB mode and what conditions to look for.

Those were the most challenging dives i've made and the most fun. I learned a ton from a very generous man. I had a very great time discussing equipment and conditions and all the rest with clearly a very well rounded spearfishermen. I looked him up later after he told me he belonged to the Long Beach Neptunes, and well rounded is an understatement. I'm glad there are generous people like Seamus out there that will take out newer spearos like me and share information. I had a great time out there. I can safely say I am more confident in the water after this weekend.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
sbh

Re: Awesome experience at Catalina

Thats awsome...great to hear someone experienced took you under his wing and passed some knowledge along. I've had a few guys over the years do the same and Im a better diver/person because of it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
spear007

thats awesome, really cool to take you and show a few good places.
true sportsman imho
which camp were you at?
i was a the Isthmus but didnt see a scuba camp there..
spear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Captn Ron
Long Beach Neptune

Nice report. Seamus is a very cool guy!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Chainsaw

Yep, you just got an invaluable lesson from one of the best spearo's on this coast and many others.
Seamus has so much experience and knowledge it is unbelievable.
You got a lesson from one of the best, and he is a great guy. Treasure that one.
Tentative manager Long Beach Neptunes
Waterman's Alliance founding member
Daryl Wong
Mori
Ennis customs
2 time Long Beach Neptune's Blue Water Meet winner 2007 and 2016
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Cameronv
Ando26

Dude how lucky, I would kill for that opportune. Nice write up and I wish I coulda been out there with ya guys!
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
zax

wow, it's like a perfect dream Congrats on the experience and a huge thanks to the teacher/mentor.
zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
injunspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear007 View Post
thats awesome, really cool to take you and show a few good places.
true sportsman imho
which camp were you at?
i was a the Isthmus but didnt see a scuba camp there..
Camp Emerald Bay on the west end.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Disco

Wow that was a pretty cool read. Thanks!!!!
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Newgun

is this spearboard? very nice
Newgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
spear007

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunspearo View Post
Camp Emerald Bay on the west end.
awesome, was that a scuba camp? which organization?
i noticed a boat out there a little east of emerald, she was anchored and a few guys line fishing from it, it kinda looked like a scuba overnight boat - perhaps part of your group?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
injunspearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear007 View Post
awesome, was that a scuba camp? which organization?
i noticed a boat out there a little east of emerald, she was anchored and a few guys line fishing from it, it kinda looked like a scuba overnight boat - perhaps part of your group?
That group was probably with the yacht club east of our camp. There were no hook and line fisherman with our group. And the boat we had was just a small 6 man zodiac. We do most of our diving in doctors cove there from shore. It's the Boy Scout Camp that we were at. I'm going to work as a divemaster there this summer so I went for the weekend to check it out!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
OutdoorCatholic
† Catholic Spearo †

Thanks for the report. Sounds like awesome fishing and camaraderie. My only concern in the whole diving deeper and longer than you ever have. While I'm sure you were being safe, the adrenaline of everything you were describing can make you a lot more vulnerable to SWB so play it safe! I'll be in the islands next week so I hope conditions are good!

Last edited by OutdoorCatholic; 05-29-2013 at 02:47 PM.
OutdoorCatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
spear007

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunspearo View Post
That group was probably with the yacht club east of our camp. There were no hook and line fisherman with our group. And the boat we had was just a small 6 man zodiac. We do most of our diving in doctors cove there from shore. It's the Boy Scout Camp that we were at. I'm going to work as a divemaster there this summer so I went for the weekend to check it out!
now i recall you post about working as dive master.
i think the anchored boat was an overnighter scuba boat and the crew was fishing.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #15
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

I second what Danny.....er.....uh.....Mr. WeedWacker said. Seamus is the man!
And extremely humble while at it too.

You could not have had a better mentor!

Scotty