Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
Coos-spearo

Masks leak under nose

I have two masks, the Aqua Sphera and the Hatch, that fit on dry land using the suction test. However, in the water I feel they are leaking, ever so slightly under my nose. If you picture the statue of David, you will see an indentation above his upper lip and under his nose. I have a similar upper lip. Unfortunately, there is very little mask seal in this location. Any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

http://www.brianmicklethwait.com/culture/mdavid.gif
Coos-spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Masks leak under nose

http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aquaps/mask-seal?gclid=CJHLn5HSw9ECFRc6gQodji8E4g&kwid=product ads-adid^88202999953-device^m-plaid^183058616713-sku^AQUAPS@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

Also try and leave your snorkel in when spearfishing , the snorkel out movement is for "free divers " and makes it faster to recover divers that pass out during comps ,but is marginal at best for spearing and if weighted corectly snorkel out could make you pass out face down with no airway if diving alone

The sphere is a poor spearing mask the distortion makes aiming problematic

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Coos-spearo

Thank you for the advice, I will give that a try. You are right, about the snorkel. My face does change with the snorkel in vs snorkel out and the mask is not making up the difference. I do have food grade silicone putty in my dive bag that I use for my flashlight O-rings. I will give that a try today and order the mask seal that you recommend.

Last edited by Coos-spearo; 01-15-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
saltysunburns

You don't happen to have a mustache do you? Facial hair can be problematic for some people.
saltysunburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Coos-spearo

No facial hair. Masks seem to be designed for a smooth horizontal surface between the nose and mouth. Most people do not have a smooth surface in this area as there is a natural dimple above the upper lip. Part of the problem may be due to a 7mm wetsuit that changes the angle of strap tension. I also read where too much strap tension will give poor results. And unfortunately it varies. It seems the colder water causes more leakage. I will figure it out in time.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
hatterasfreedvr

Get a new mask. Your mask should not be leaking if you don't have a mustache. Don't be fixed on getting a tiny freedive mask. Most scuba masks are more forgiving with fit and have a much greater field of vision. I like the big lensed frameless masks myself. No leaks and big view. Good luck. Nothing ruins a good day like a leaky mask.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

two things;
1) Try moving your strap higher or lower on the back of your head to try and get the mask to pull more on the bottom edge.

2) Pay attention to how much air is leaking out of your nose when you dive.

I had a problem with mask leak for a while and I figured out I was pretty much constantly dribbling air out of my nose when diving. Not much water got in, but even if it's couple drops, when it gets in your nose it ruins your concentration!
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #8
eddiebrs

I would look for another mask that has a proper seal for you. If thats not an option I just use a little silicone grease and it works great. Ive used this stuff for years

https://www.amazon.com/Trident-Silic...e+1%2F4+oz+jar
eddiebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
naisan

another point: if you have thick facial hair, even a half-day's stubble can cause slow leaks. I have found that a quick run of the razor before I go in and I never have an issue, but a pm shadow can cause leaks.

Also, are you sure its the lip part? Most people's lips mash down so the bump disappears. Also, any water getting in your mask will run down and collect in the nose area if you're upright, so are you certain that's where you have a slow leak? I say this because I have to shave my upper cheekbones as well...anyways, try shaving right before you go in to see what's up.

I know this sounds strange, but I also find that a very high grit sandpaper applied to the skirt of the mask gently can rub off some of the flashing from manufacturing (depends on which mask, so go gentle) which helped my omer mask stick to my face like glue.

Hope you get it sorted!
naisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Coos-spearo

A dab of silicone on the mask where it leaks did the trick. I used food grade O-ring silicone that has the consistency of grease or petroleum jelly. At last I had a dry clear mask for the first time. Thank you all for the help.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
eddiebrs

Glad it worked out for you bro. I had the same problem for a long time. Now, I dont even have to shave and I have a seal all day
eddiebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Spearin239

I was going to say Vasoline.
I have a buddy with a mustache and he uses a little to make the seal.
Works every time
Spearin239 is offline   Reply With Quote