Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   California Spearfishing (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Where do you store a boat? (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=38356)

Clayton713 12-08-2006 12:04 PM

Where do you store a boat?

So, after going out to the islands last weekend(Thank you Tim and Tom for rides) I decided I need a boat. In trying to figure out how much that would cost me I got to point where I was trying to figure out storage and I have no idea. Where do you guys keep your boats and how much does it cost per year?

Bill McIntyre 12-08-2006 12:08 PM

Re: Where do you store a boat?

Storage is very hard to find in Orange County.

I have mine in the dry storage lot at Dana Point Harbor, and it costs $181.50 per month. If you want them to launch and recover it with a sling, take it out of its parking place and put it back, etc. it costs more.

sdbr911 12-08-2006 12:53 PM

Rv/Boat storage is expensive and difficult here in SoCal. I am lucky that I can keep my boat at my house, but I pay almost $150 a month to store a 21' Travel Trailer. The storage fees cost more than the payments on the trailer!!! I can't keep both at the house. My trailer has been to three different storage yards in the last 1 1/2 years. The first one was too far, at the second one, things kept getting stolen off my trailer, and the third one is expensive, but at least it is secure.

Before you get a boat, take a good look at where you will put it. Storage is just expensive. If it's not close and convenient, you won't use it as much.

Every month storage fees piss me off, but I would rather pay them and have fun with the toys right now.

Clayton713 12-08-2006 12:56 PM

Thanks Bill. Dana point would be really convenient for me. Can anyone tell me more about how storage works around hear? In Texas it wouldn't even be a factor. I am thinking about a 19-22 ft dual outboard aluminum hull so I would think I could trailer it. I just don't know if I would be better off finding a boat yard like what they have at Dana Point or trying to find something up in San Pedro to launch out of LB. What does it mean to be dry storage? I assume that means its trailered instead of in a slip. Is that right? I've heard about boat storage in Newport where they shelve boats using a forklift, but I imagine that is ridiculously expensive. I have a tahoe so towing a boat for a while is no big deal if it saves me some bucks on storage, but I could really use some insight if anybody has a trick to not pay a bundle for storage.

Durango 12-08-2006 12:59 PM

Clayton,
The trick is to have lots of friends with boats!
Good luck,
Todd

Bill McIntyre 12-08-2006 01:19 PM

Clayton,

Dry storage means on your trailer rather than in a slip. Of course the dry-stack places would fit the term too. At Dana Point, the Embarcadero Marina has a storage yard with a locked gate. The hours vary by season and by weekday vs. weekend, but in general they don't open early enough and close too early if I'm going to the islands, so I have to get the boat out of storage the afternoon before the trip and leave it out in the trailer parking lot that people use after they launch, or bring it home and park it illegally in the driveway over night. Then I have to reverse that after I get back to the harbor after the storage yard is closed.

The entire harbor area is going to be renovated over the next three years or so, and they are going to build a dry stack building, but say that there will still be some surface storage.

The price used to be based on manufacturers stated boat length, but last year they started charging based on actual measurement from tongue of trailer to end of swim step, out drive, or whatever sticks out the most. You pay more if you leave your out drive or outboard up on the day they measure. My trailer could handle a 24' boat and my boat is only 22', but it might as well be 24'.

The best solution is to have storge space at your house. I bought my house with that in mind. It has a long driveway and it was legal to park boats and RVs in driveways in San Clemente. I even cut down nice fruit trees and widened the driveway so that the boat would be out of the way of the garage door. After 20 years, the city changed the zoning code and refused to grandfather me, so I had to go looking for storage because I couldn't afford to fight them in court.

I was on a long waiting list at Dana Harbor, so my first storage was in a tow yard out Pico, inland of here. Its a place that contracts with cities and county to tow away illegally parked or derelict vehicles, and it also rents a few spaces to RVs and boats. The advantage was that they gave me a combination to the lock on the gate so that I had 24/7 access, but that was uncertain because you might show up early in the morning and find that a tow driver had left a car in front of your boat.

As you mentioned, Newport and the Long Beach area are a lot closer to Catalina than is Dana. The down side is that its a longer drive to get to the boat, and more of a pain in the ass to work on it, etc.

JDoe 12-08-2006 03:26 PM

I am in Irvine and there are some outdoor storage areas under the power lines on Sand Canyon between the 5 and 405. These spots would be ideal. Also, if you have a relative that lives in a mobile home park, they generally have the cheapest storage fees ever and it is secure. I store a trailer at my grandma's trailer park in Irvine on Jeffery and the 5 and I pay $50 a month and get 24/7 access.

Brian Koprinik 12-08-2006 03:56 PM

clayton,
i also have my boat at embarcadero next to bill's. mine is 29' w/ the service that pulls your boat out and in at your request and i pay around $220/month. it is nice to be in a harbor that is central to all the fishing spots and is a 5 min. ride outside the harbor. if my boat wasn't around 9k lbs and a pain to tow long distances, i would keep it closer to home at a storage facility or a house if possible. i live in irvine and would love to have it closer when i need to work on it(which is often cause its a boat). embarcadero should have a long waiting list unfortunetly, look for something close to home.

Nano54 12-08-2006 05:48 PM

Yeah I agree with the secret thanksgiving WSB hunter. In fact the last time I went out on a friend's boat I bought all of the gas because I know the real deal on boat costs.Boats are a huge amount of cash and alot of work, my pops has a 22' Cabo and I havn't gone out with him on it, seems there is always some little problem. Oh and the kicker motor 15hp yamaha (brand new) was stolen 2 months ago. Lets put it this way, I was offered a 20ft. center counsel in good condition (for free) and I didn't take it because I don't need that responsibility. PS......to all you boat owners out there mad props on all the work you guys do to get to those islands.

Clayton713 12-09-2006 03:06 PM

I hear you guys about having friends with boats instead of owning your own, but I am new hear and that takes time. I've made offers to pay for peoples full tanks of gas for runs on the islands and that still stands. I am in a unique time of my life where I have the income and flexibility to enjoy a boat before I get anchored by a wife or kids. Plus I didn't grow up in California doing this stuff so what may seem like an average day on the water for most is a great day for me. I just want to make the most of my time.

Durango 12-09-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACEVEDO
get your boat now why you can ....

there is nothing like being your own cap going when and wherever you want to go!!!

Im buying a Bigger one 26 cc asap.... wanna Buy a 23 ft proline???
here is a NICE pic for ya :eek:

Nasty picture of Freedro's butt.... YUK!

Hey Joe can I go on your boat...... please!!!!

amasterp1322 12-09-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd M Peterson
Nasty picture of Freedro's butt.... YUK!

Hey Joe can I go on your boat...... please!!!!

How could you tell that was Freedro's butt :confused: Have you been up close and personal with it before :p . :D

Bill McIntyre 12-09-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton713
I've made offers to pay for peoples full tanks of gas for runs on the islands and that still stands.

If I heard that, maybe I asked before if you could go on weekdays and the answer was no.

Anyway, its a bit late now since its the off season and I'll probably be out recovering from shoulder surgery until late Feb, but if you don't have a boat by then, maybe I could arrange to take your money.

Prodigal Son 12-09-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre
If I heard that, maybe I asked before if you could go on weekdays and the answer was no.

Anyway, its a bit late now since its the off season and I'll probably be out recovering from shoulder surgery until late Feb, but if you don't have a boat by then, maybe I could arrange to take your money.

Ouch. Best wishes on the shoulder surgery Bill. I hope and pray it goes well for you.

Bill McIntyre 12-09-2006 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigal Son
Ouch. Best wishes on the shoulder surgery Bill. I hope and pray it goes well for you.

Thanks.

My physical therapist asked if he could come watch surgery on the first shoulder next Friday, and I said it was fine with me if it was fine with the doctor.

Just think, he should know exactly what it looked like in there when we start the rehab.:)