Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum (http://www.spearboard.com/index.php)
-   All About Pole Spears & Slings (http://www.spearboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Riffe pole (http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=173199)

bubble-o-bill 05-14-2014 01:44 AM

Riffe pole

Ive been using a gatku 8 footer but looking at getting at getting the riffe for bigger specimens since im really not enjoying the slip tip i have. Saw some vids on you tube of them being smashed into rocks by big grouper type fish so not too concerned about their strength but not sure if they are very fast compared to others? Can anyone shed any light from personal experience on the speed of the larger poles(9-10foot)?

Thanks

bubble-o-bill 05-14-2014 01:47 AM

Re: Riffe pole

I also wanted to ask if its possible to add or remove a segment to change the pole length without issues? Im thinking the rubber would probably also need swapping but could be handy to have two in one so to speak.

Cheers

brandon cadalzo 05-14-2014 02:43 PM

If you're looking to stay in the carbon fiber category I would seriously consider a headhunter. Way better build in my opinion. I personally am a Crist fan but won't deny the craftsmanship of headhunter spears.

Lyterkillsling 05-15-2014 02:21 AM

I would easily choose a headhunter if your trying to stay on the carbon route. I currently received a Keller and waiting to dive with it.

Kraken 05-15-2014 04:18 AM

The search bar is your friend. This is just one or two threads that break down some of the more popular polespears including info on the riffes.
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=170311
http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=168128

But to quickly answer your questions, the Riffe can quickly and easily be lengthened or shortened by adding or removing sections. It's easy to do on the go. Speed is also not a factor. For it's size it is very light and very fast because it is made of lightweight carbon fiber. I have never felt that it was too slow, ever. Just spend some time scrolling through the polespear section here. You will see a lot of BS but you'll also find a lot of useful info on all kinds of polespears. I personally love my headhunter and I think it has the best slip tip set up of all time. It's all personal preference but hopefully you can narrow it down to exactly what you need.

bubble-o-bill 05-15-2014 04:48 AM

Cheers guys. Ive been scrolling through the threads for about a month so was time to ask questions for the answers I was looking for, thanks for the links though kraken. It gets reading and re-reading the same replys, gatku vs keller vs headhunter vs ohara vs riffe vs seastinger vs crist vs odor vs some others ive probably forgotten. All I want to know about is what is locally readily available to me, which is the riffe and theres a lot of crud being written about dont trust carbon fiber, its overpriced, cheaper poles can do a better job for the same price and so on. Well with freight and exchange rates the riffe is the most economical for me, only a fraction more than a comparable gatku.

I do appreciate the time taken to reply though, dont let my cynisism take that away.

Cheers.

kwtony 05-15-2014 05:54 AM

I would get a Crist or a headhunter spear without question. from what ive gathered, the riffe has too many goods and bads, some like it, but most ive found don't. Its fast and light, but most have had a fish brush a coral head and snap it in 15 pieces. It seems the general consensus is of a dozen or so people asked, i think 1 or 3 would buy one again. Most had already upgraded to something a different. Maybe it just needs to be kept off the bottom as much as possible. In the end of the day, no one can plan a holed up fish..

Most people tends to get hell bent on the products the see on youtube, hear about from their friends, or see on their shelves at the dive shop.. However, you've already made a step in the right direction by coming here and asking these questions. You might want to consider the advice from the people on this board. Many of the members are gear whores, they buy use, abuse and test everything. Many have either tested it, or wont, because they already know the results and dont want to waste a bunch of money. You MAY BE new to the sport, you dont know what you dont know..

If you are abroad and only want to spend money on one spear. Id more then strongly consider something else..

The crist spear will likely be the last spear youll ever own.

bubble-o-bill 05-15-2014 05:57 AM

New to this forum stuff not so new to the sport.

Cheers.

kwtony 05-15-2014 06:00 AM

Then good luck with your riffe, let us know how it goes. Then chime back in 6 months later and post another status report.

Lyterkillsling 05-15-2014 10:12 AM

Riffe pole

The guide by Keller it the cheapest most durable spear for the money.... You could but 2 plus some extras for the price of a riffe. Just a thought for yah, depends on the fish you shoot and where your shooting...

bubble-o-bill 05-16-2014 12:44 AM

Thanks lyterkillsling, as you say it is all down to the type of diving I am doing and fish I am chasing in their own differing terrains and environments.

This forum is clearly not the place for me to be asking my questions with some of the replies coming out so thanks to all the constructive answers and I will stick to talking to people I can see in the future.

Cheers.

Lyterkillsling 05-16-2014 12:47 AM

Riffe pole

Yeah, learning the hard way is my favorite way as well ;)

Please shed some insight in a few months of abuse.

Aqua Jam 05-19-2014 07:37 AM

In my opinion it really depends on what kind of hunting you plan to do. I own the riffe and just bought a Keller. The riffe is very fast and has great range on muttons and pelagics however I broke it in half last year on a 55lb grouper in the rocks. Not saying any pole spear could have withstood that amount of force but the carbon certainly gave way. I hope to get to the islands in the next month or so and put the Keller through the ringer and see how it does.

cldomson1 05-19-2014 01:29 PM

I still like my Riffe with Headhunter slip tip the best. And I've tried a bunch of them.

And it breaks down and fits in my dive bag.

But I've only shot fish up to 50lb with it.

C

myfish 05-23-2014 06:07 AM

I love my Riffe spears. I have enough sections to make 3 spears, slip tips, 3 prongers and floppers. Light, fast, strong enough for ME but most fish here are sub 12lb. However, we shoot around reef etc and so far, no issues. Longest I've shot one is out at 14ft with a custom band and a just beyond mid point grip.

Saying this, I have 2 gat-ku spears too that I cannot fault.