View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
TheKeeneroo

Question Catalina Kayak or Boat Spearing

My wife and I are staying at a friends Condo in Hamilton Cove April 22-26. I'd like to get out one of the days to dive and fish, specifically for some larger species. I have a riffe euro 120 w reel and flopper, a 110 with slip tip, an 80 w reel and double flopper (this is what I usually use when diving channel islands). I also can rig a breakaway with a 1 ATM float. I've never speared at Catalina so I don't know much about the fish spots outside of forum posts. I understand that twin harbors on the front side is a decent place (rock quarry) and that from my location, I could kayak to Frog rock. I haven't found too many charters, but did find one guy (Adam Olsen) that would take me out on his boat for $100/hr. If I found another buddy or two to dive with, we would split that cost, making it $30/hr/person.

1) I've heard of a few people on this forum that live out there. I'd love some guidance or better yet a dive buddy.
2) anyone interested in meeting me over there and sharing that boat and going after some YT or WSB for a few hours? He said its only a 20min ride from Avalon to get on the good fish.
3) Do you know someone that's familiar with the area that you could connect me with?

Please PM or reply ASAP so I can reserve the boat or get things ready.
TheKeeneroo is offline   Reply With Quote