View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Re: Sea_arching for adventure

This next video was earlier this year in May. I did not get out on opening day for grouper because the weather did not cooperate. I finally got the chance to get out a week later and the water was beautiful.

As soon as I hit the water I was greeted by a couple of the neighborhood bullies who were looking for an easy meal. One of them had a decent cobia in tow but I was diving solo and not liking my chances of 1 vs 2 competing for that cobia after the shot. The bulls continued to circle and as I looked towards the bottom I spot 3 blacks and one of them is massive. Talk about distractions, I am trying to keep my eye on the bulls while I descend and move into position to see if it is even safe to shoot one if the opportunity arises.

As I near the bottom the biggest of the blacks gets out of dodge but the medium one moves towards the edge of the reef. Keeping an eye on the sharks I try to stay low and almost army crawl through the sand to the edge of the reef. The nice thing about having your camera on your gun is that you end up with nice smooth footage and avoid the blair witch project effects but you also end up with unwanted footage bumping through rocks or sand. Having my camera on the gun here made me miss some of the story. Maybe two cameras is the answer

As I near the edge of the reef and peek over, I catch him trying to sneak away and put a quick shaft in him. However in my hyper-focused descent, I neglected to remember that I was still freeshafting and had not slid my slide ring over my shaft to convert to line shafting. The freeshafting made for a fun rodeo and some cool footage (as he comes up out of the dust you can clearly see the shaft in him) but in the end, I lucked out and ended up with some tasty dinners.

Last edited by SEA_ARCHER; 12-15-2017 at 12:24 AM.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote