View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
AlexbeeintheUK

Arrow Carbon fins care & preventative measures.

Just returned from an AIDA 3* course and noticed the tip of one of my Cressi Carbons (carbon kevlar I think) has slightly chipped and the layers are slightly coming apart - very minor at this stage but prevention is better than cure. It happened during a pool session so we put a thin strip of gorilla tape over it as a quick solution whilst doing dynamics.

I contacted Cressi who weren't able to provide an answer to my questions: what can I do to a) repair the chip/crack before it worsens and b) at the same time, what can I apply to the tips to make them less likely to chip or crack from any future knocks? My initial concern was if I chucked on some 5min epoxy and caused a bad reaction with the chemicals it may make things worse or even further de-lamination . . still, they could not answer me.
Due to the double curved design of the fin tips it was tough getting the tape to sit without overlapping which meant it didn't take long before it started peeling off.

So, any suggestions?
Top idea so far is to get my hands on some Black 5200 (never worked with the stuff before) and try and put a little blob strip on the ends and try to squeeze it together to keep it tidy.

All responses are much appreciated
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote