Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
Dbrown

Lionfish

Trialing a proof of concept. Worked.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Lionfish

Very clever. Now I feel like a dummy having never thought to do that. I usually just take one on the way up. Looks like some simple tubing with a clip. I will be making a clip myself. Thanks for sharing. Lionfish is damn good eatin.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Dbrown

Damn it James!!
That was my innovative retirement idea! Better keep day job I suppose.....
Seems to work great. Will see if there's any significant interest.

Made a bunch up and will swing you one next time we go diving.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Damn it James!!
That was my innovative retirement idea! Better keep day job I suppose.....
Seems to work great. Will see if there's any significant interest.

Made a bunch up and will swing you one next time we go diving.
Ha. Yeah, for years I've come up with solutions for my various hobbies and say to myself, "I could sell this." Then realize, I shouldn't quit my day job.

An idea to make deployment easier would be a trigger clip like you used, but is 5/16" that you could quickly and simply clip it on to the shaft. Basically just leave the clip on the DSMB, clip it to the shaft below the slide ring catch crimps, give it a blow and away she goes.

I looked some time ago for 5/16" trigger clips or lobster clasps but didn't have any luck.

Last edited by CuzzA; 04-19-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Dbrown

I can do that with this one. I just didn't leave the inflatable attached to it on my stringer. But I could. And some people would like that because if they didn't shoot any lionfish, but still want to float stringer up, everything is right there to do so.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Clever idea David. Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest. I never messed with Lionfish because I did not want to carry a bulky container to deposit them in. Also, I did not want to shoot them during the dive as I did not want to clog up my main spearshaft (or side shaft) by stack shooting them. With your idea I can shoot a few anytime during the dive and send them up (depending on how many shafts I have) and continue shooting reef fish with my remaining shaft(s). I gonna put a couple of those shaft clips on my stringer and start shooting Lionfish.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 04-19-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
popgun pete

Lionfish burger http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=198355
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
CuzzA

Alright Dbrown.

I had to tinker with some ideas. Transmission hose of course works, but I tried out some clips. Trigger clips are no good. At least not the one I tried. The spring just wasn't strong enough - with a slight tug the clip lets go.

However, a tuna clip is solid as a rock. This clip is a little bulky, but I had it in the tackle box, so a smaller one would likely be a really nice solution without the risk of losing a shaft. And for what shafts sell for these day a lost shaft is now a bad day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	246904   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	246905   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	246906  

Last edited by CuzzA; 04-23-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #9
Dbrown

Shaft loss is the key area to mitigate. Those on the boat need to know to keep an eye out and to place on boat carefully. Try and keep lionfish away from floatation device once on boat. I've had lionfish spines go right through my spear band when keeping lionfish on my gun. That's pretty tough material to just poke through!
Old 04-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #10
fishkillapro

Quote:
Shaft loss is the key area to mitigate. Those on the boat need to know to keep an eye out and to place on boat carefully. Try and keep lionfish away from floatation device once on boat. I've had lionfish spines go right through my spear band when keeping lionfish on my gun. That's pretty tough material to just poke through!
Dave, that has also happened to me. Very annoying especially on a brand new band!
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #11
CuzzA

Quote:
Yep. I think your setup is solid with with the exception that if a shark yanks on the fish it may come out or if someone on the boat yanks too hard on the SMB the hose might let go of it.

Nevertheless. I love the idea as it's a solution for us who want to load up on lionfish but don't want to carry a container or waste time clipping spines at depth.

Now. If we can get this damn wind to calm down.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #12
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Rogers on the wind Cuzza.....AJ opens next weekend and it looks like the wind has no intention of letting up. Gonna blow 20 knots plus next weekend.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #13
jfjf

Too simple! you guys just need to learn to dive with more crap.... Add a scooter, lobster bag, pole spear, net and lionfish container and reel and floatline and you will reach spearing Nirvana. And don't forget the pony bottle, snorkel, back up computer and second knife either!.... oh yeah... and put a line on that shaft will yah?
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #14
Dbrown

LOL!
You definitely bring some stuff!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #15
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Too simple! you guys just need to learn to dive with more crap.... Add a scooter, lobster bag, pole spear, net and lionfish container and reel and floatline and you will reach spearing Nirvana. And don't forget the pony bottle, snorkel, back up computer and second knife either!.... oh yeah... and put a line on that shaft will yah?

...and learn how to scream cuss words thru your regulator.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote