Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
hydroid

Why did they quit making the Scupper Pro?

I just started kayaking and pretty new at it. I had a guy give me an older Scupper Pro. It's a little faded and I had to patch the drain holes and do some fixing up but I love this boat. Just wonder why they dropped it from their line?
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Ron S

Re: Why did they quit making the Scupper Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
I just started kayaking and pretty new at it. I had a guy give me an older Scupper Pro. It's a little faded and I had to patch the drain holes and do some fixing up but I love this boat. Just wonder why they dropped it from their line?
Don't know why they dropped it, but it's too bad. I paddle one and love it, but on the other hand, I "fit" into it. I like it because it's narrow compared to many other sit on tops, and you sit deeper into it than many others. These traits to me make it easier to control, like a real kayak. It's also fast for it's length and weight.

Those same traits however, are negatives to many other divers I've paddled with. For folks who are larger/heavier, the boat lacks floatation and the seat is too narrow. I've known a number of folks who started with Scuppers and then moved on to larger yaks with more primary stability, especially for diving and fishing.

I bought mine new from Monterey Bay Kayaks. They only had two left and were not getting more. They said people were passing up the scuppers for more modern and more stable models. This might have a lot to do with it's demise.

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

about a year ago, "kayak angler" ran an article suggesting the same thing, (bring back the supper pro). So you guys aren't alone.

I myself have a trident. I have not paddled a scupper pro, but from what I have read, the seat is lower in the water than in a prowler, (which is very similar to the trident). I already have my butt in the water if I'm not using plugs in the trident, so a scupper sounds like an uncomfortable ride to me.

I would give it a test paddle though...
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuuken View Post

I myself have a trident. I have not paddled a scupper pro, but from what I have read, the seat is lower in the water than in a prowler, (which is very similar to the trident). I already have my butt in the water if I'm not using plugs in the trident, so a scupper sounds like an uncomfortable ride to me.

I would give it a test paddle though...
As a comparison, each of my sons have a Prowler 13. My wife and I used to do a lot of kayaking before I became a diver, and I paddled a 17' sea lion sit inside.

Anyway, I find the prowler to be wider, with more initial stability than the scupper, but with less secondary stability. To me if feels like you sit more on the prowler where you sit more in the scupper. As a practical example, when coming in to the beach, if I get broached by a wave in the prowler, I'm at the mercy of the wave until I get flipped over. With the scupper, I can side surf it all the way to the beach, even without thigh straps.

The seat well in the scupper is so deep, it actually provides some support for my old lower back. An added seat makes it almost comfy.

As to speed, one day I had a batch of folks, and therefore a batch of boats, out at the lake. I had my GPS in a dry bag and did a lot of paddling. Putting out a given amount of effort with the same paddle, the 13' prowler ran about 1-1.5mph slower than the scupper, and surprisingly the scupper ran at the same speed as the 17' sea lion. Of course with it's upswept bow and stern, the sea lion only has about 13' of wetted profile in calm water.

The two big advantages the prowler has over the scupper are that the prowler has a higher volume and therefore a higher carrying capacity, and it's a more stable fishing and diving platform.

As to a wet ride, yep, it gives it to you. However, I plug the seat and foot holes when I troll for kokanee in our local lakes and unless it's really choppy, the only water I take in is in the tank well area, (which keeps the fish fresh), and in the foot area from getting in and out a lot.

Well, too much coffee this morning so I'm rambling...

Ron.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
phil herranen

The story I heard was that the mould hit the end of its lifespan and they had new models they wanted to do and didn't want to dump the money into making a new mold for a old hull

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Apneaddict

I have a "prowler clone" which is the future beach / Equinox angler kayak that's 13'4" (160") and it's the same top layout as the Prowler... But has their "double hull" design which is slow in the water... But STABLE!

It can hold up to 500 lbs and I often have a dive buddy sit on the back while I paddle out to some depth for training. Anything more than a mile is a real bear like this though.

Great stable boat with TONS of internal storage.

If you want a Prowler that's even more stable / buoyant / robust and has tons of storage... This is the key. I paid $400 Canadian at Costco but I think Dick's has them in the States.

I'd like to try a scupper pro, but not a lot of them here in Ontario. If have better luck out in Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
The story I heard was that the mould hit the end of its lifespan and they had new models they wanted to do and didn't want to dump the money into making a new mold for a old hull
Now that I recall, they said that too at the shop where I bought mine.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Apneaddict

I also want to try out the new Santa Cruz Raptor G2. It can be paddled or fitted with the hobie pedal system.

Looks like a great Spearo yak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A unique take on Freediving and Apnea:
http://apneaddict.blogspot.com/
Apneaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
billder99
Good gone Wong

Reviving this old thread for fans of the Scupper Pro. There is an updated version now on the market, the Scupper 14. Lot's of upgrades, a lowered CG, vastly updated drains... in my opinion, now the best kayak on the market for spearfishing. I had the old Scupper Pro in 1997, traded up to Cobra Tourer in 2000, now 20 years old and beat up but still a great kayak... but ready for an upgrade... it will be fun to compare them. Here's the link:
https://swellwatercraft.com/scupper-14/

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:35 PM   #10
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Reviving this old thread for fans of the Scupper Pro. There is an updated version now on the market, the Scupper 14. Lot's of upgrades, a lowered CG, vastly updated drains... in my opinion, now the best kayak on the market for spearfishing. I had the old Scupper Pro in 1997, traded up to Cobra Tourer in 2000, now 20 years old and beat up but still a great kayak... but ready for an upgrade... it will be fun to compare them. Here's the link:
https://swellwatercraft.com/scupper-14/
Thanks for the link!
Old 12-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #11
hydroid

I ended up getting an Ocean Kayak Prowler. It seems to do the job.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:06 PM   #12
musubi

I run a couple Scupper Pro's for spearfishing and like using them. They're relatively light, tracks well without a rudder, and lots of storage for me. I notice larger individuals tend to have a harder time staying upright, so not for everyone.
You can still find tons of them around Hawaii.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #13
kodama

I am looking to get the new swell version as a second kayak but I wonder how easily you can store spearguns inside and access them form the seat. Is that round hatch in the front large enough for fins or spearguns?

I am referring to the either/or 4” front hatch and oval center hatch.

For spearfishing it seems crucial to have acces to the large bow compartment without having to undo and open up those buckles which would be a pita on the water.

Last edited by kodama; 01-16-2021 at 06:28 AM.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #14
musubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
I am looking to get the new swell version as a second kayak but I wonder how easily you can store spearguns inside and access them form the seat. Is that round hatch in the front large enough for fins or spearguns?

I am referring to the either/or 4” front hatch and oval center hatch.

For spearfishing it seems crucial to have acces to the large bow compartment without having to undo and open up those buckles which would be a pita on the water.
My guess is those two smaller openings are too small to fit guns or fins through. You might be able to fit a gun through the front circle hatch, but I know my guns wouldn't be short enough to fit in just the bow. The oval hatch is more about the angle in getting the items in than the size of the openings. Just my thought based on the pictures.

The first picture notes the circle hatch as 4" while the second picture on the New scupper shows the hatch at 6". I'd lean towards them actually being 6" since 4" seems kind of tiny.

I think too that undoing those buckles would be a pain out in the water. My Scupper Pro has only two and the further one is kind of a reach. I would just leave the third (furthest buckle) undone as you probably don't need it all buckled up.

Regardless, I think it's still workable to fit pretty much everything in that front hatch. Or bag some of the items and secure in the back well.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #15
hydroid

I think too that undoing those buckles would be a pain out in the water. My Scupper Pro has only two and the further one is kind of a reach. I would just leave the third (furthest buckle) undone as you probably don't need it all buckled up.

Yeah, I don't think I would like trying to open that forward hatch anchored in seas. I can open the front hatch on my prowler with one hand very easily.