Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #31
Behslayer

Re: Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

Mythbusters. I always stayed away from Cable after watching my friend Marty sever the tendons/ligaments in his finger. People throw around the phrase 'cut to the bone' but that is exactly what happened in this case. This was thin uncoated cable probably @1.4mm. He was exiting the surf Shorediving in Uluwatu when he got rolled by a wave. His gear got tangled up and somehow he got a loop of Cable around his ring finger. It's a rough exit or entrance with waves breaking on the Coral and currents sweeping and he was prone out in the waves and current caught only by his finger by the cable.. Out of pure luck he was able to free himself before losing his Ringman, but that finger will never be the same. Sure.. could happen with mono or dyneema I guess. But there's no myth to cable slicing. I guess if it's coated is better.

Very thin lines are good for pool shooting. But they are hard to grab with gloves on and they can slice through flesh.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #32
Behslayer

Anyone who has much offshore fishing experience will have a story about Cable cutting flesh as well. We run uncoated 1.2mm cable on some of our gear and you just do not want to touch that stuff. There can be one strand torn and then it's like a razor. One of the best Yellowfin bites I've heard of my brother and two other friends had 6 on with 100b fish airborne all around them when my friend Lief accidently touched that cable.. Done. 100 miles out. Immediate return to shore and into surgery. They were able to reconnect everything. I forget how many stitches it was, but it was a lot.. The issue with thin lines is they are tough to grab hold of what means they slide. The issue with Cable is that it's made up of a bunch of strands and if one of those strands get's nicked and pokes free, it can turn your shooting line into a sharp knife. That just doesn't happen with Mono or Dyneema. Ofcourse you can keep an eye on things, but always keep these stories in the back of your mind using cable.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #33
spearq8

I think naked cable is not a good idea because it also slices your bands to shreds. It is serrated and acts like a mini saw. A few days ago I also tried to induce a band tangle by keeping the line loose with the 1.4mm stiff spectra ... it worked too well and I managed to get a tangle ... and also sliced my band almost clean off. The coated cable is completely different and is quite smooth. I think it can be cut easily with a knife as the coating grabs the knife and then you can go through it. The 1.2mm coated stuff looks very fast and I would prefer to use a long crimp rather than two. If two doesn't hurt performance then why not. Maybe the 1.4mm coated stuff is the best to get as that is rated 400lb and still pretty thin. I think the 1.4mm stuff is around 1.6mm with coat .... this is like 200lb mono thickness.

I need to put all these lines in the water and see what happens. I personally feel that the perfect spearfishing line has yet to be developed ... until then we have to hack it out. At the moment I really really like the 1.4mm stiff spectra with crimp, but you need to keep it tight ... and I was able to break without mechanical assistance ... so not sure how strong it is. I want to also try the 1.7mm stuff with crimp ... If that doesn't slow things down too much it might just be the perfect shooting line.

I do use a line that nobody here has every tried ... it is a Kevlar line with PVC infusion. It is only about 1.6mm and can be crimped. I used that to catch all sort of huge fish ... but on my last trip I shot a giant cobia and didn't stone it ... it wrapped on a wreck and broke the line. So I have lost confidence with that stuff although I think it shows the possibilities. If that stuff would come in say 1.8mm and a thicker 400lb core and more resilient coating than PVC ... it would be the perfect spearfishing line as it feels and acts just like mono (without the memory kinks).
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #34
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Naked cable is great. Just replace it every use and youre golden. Coated cable always seemed vectored my spears after 5 meters..
Old 03-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #35
popgun pete

Broken strands create "meat hooks", so you need good gloves with cable. I have never used coated cable, but I guess the busted strands will poke through the coating sooner or later. Starting afresh is a good idea if you have a big spool of the stuff.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #36
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Go to 1:45. You can see how the cable cleans the barnacles off the concrete. The cable was not damaged. 1.2mm bare cable. I have been using it for so many years. It is soft line and will not saw your leg off.

This isn't the same type of wire that Hitman uses to assassinate

Old 03-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #37
Behslayer

hmmm. 1.2mm naked cable, not sure I'd reccomend that to anyone even if I was choosing to use it myself, which I'm not. Bet that would saw right through a Wahoo or Mahi Belly. How many times have I had a Big Bull Mahi or Wahoo or Tuna almost cut free when I accidentally thread them? Nice fish. Many Dinners. Coated Cable atleast you got a chance and your knife can atleast get a bite.

I remember this one time I was diving and an 800lb+ Blue Marlin pursued a 100lb YFT my Dive Partner had shot. The Yellowfin was doing it's best to put me inbetween itself and the Marlin. I remember thinking clearly at the time. Thank Goodness that's not Cable.. reminds me of this one time where I got Mackwrapped by a Big King who was trying to avoid being eaten by several aggressive sharks. I remember thinking Man I'm glad this isn't cable.

It's anyone's choice. The only thing I would definitely recommend is whatever line you are using, that you try cutting it in some strange positions and angles with your dive knife BEFORE you have any problemos. And Stay away from those big Serrated knives. They're useless.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #38
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post

It's anyone's choice. The only thing I would definitely recommend is whatever line you are using, that you try cutting it in some strange positions and angles with your dive knife BEFORE you have any problemos. And Stay away from those big Serrated knives. They're useless.
This has to be one of the most important points made in all of these different shooting line threads. I noticed a while ago that my Salvimar knife (which is fairly sharp as far as dive knifes go) simply could not cut the stiff spectra in an emergency. Under ideal conditions, it was difficult. I recently switched to an H1 blade with a real edge on it that can quickly slice anything I use. Whether or not you could actually cut your line in an emergency is something everyone should consider.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #39
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I've used 1.2 cable for like 5 years now. It's perfect if you don't belly shoot soft pelagics or have giant marlin chase your fish.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #40
Behslayer

I dove alone in bluewater with strong currents for 20 years but it's not something I'm recomending to others..

who hasn't belly shot a fish?

who hasn't had something unexpected happen while diving?

recommending thin cable shooting lines to your general audience is silly.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #41
spearq8

The 1.2mm coated cable is more like 1.65mm ... not too thin but also not too thick. The 1.4mm stuff is around 1.95mm. The coating doesn't give it an absolutely smooth surface, you can certainly feel ripples ... but I doubt it will slice the bands.

As for fish ... even 2.2mm mono will slice fish like Wahoo. I will see if I can put all these lines in the water for testing accuracy and penetration. I will choose an 8mm shaft and maybe for the 1.9mm spectra and the 1.4mm cable I might try it with 8.5mm shafts. Most likely the heavier the shaft the less affect the line has on the shot.
spearq8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #42
phil herranen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I think naked cable is not a good idea because it also slices your bands to shreds. It is serrated and acts like a mini saw. A few days ago I also tried to induce a band tangle by keeping the line loose with the 1.4mm stiff spectra ... it worked too well and I managed to get a tangle ... and also sliced my band almost clean off. The coated cable is completely different and is quite smooth. I think it can be cut easily with a knife as the coating grabs the knife and then you can go through it. The 1.2mm coated stuff looks very fast and I would prefer to use a long crimp rather than two. If two doesn't hurt performance then why not. Maybe the 1.4mm coated stuff is the best to get as that is rated 400lb and still pretty thin. I think the 1.4mm stuff is around 1.6mm with coat .... this is like 200lb mono thickness.

I need to put all these lines in the water and see what happens. I personally feel that the perfect spearfishing line has yet to be developed ... until then we have to hack it out. At the moment I really really like the 1.4mm stiff spectra with crimp, but you need to keep it tight ... and I was able to break without mechanical assistance ... so not sure how strong it is. I want to also try the 1.7mm stuff with crimp ... If that doesn't slow things down too much it might just be the perfect shooting line.

I do use a line that nobody here has every tried ... it is a Kevlar line with PVC infusion. It is only about 1.6mm and can be crimped. I used that to catch all sort of huge fish ... but on my last trip I shot a giant cobia and didn't stone it ... it wrapped on a wreck and broke the line. So I have lost confidence with that stuff although I think it shows the possibilities. If that stuff would come in say 1.8mm and a thicker 400lb core and more resilient coating than PVC ... it would be the perfect spearfishing line as it feels and acts just like mono (without the memory kinks).
Coated cable is much harder to cut that bare . With bare cable as strand groups cut threw they unravel and clear away from the blade . With coated cable the strands stay packed together and bite into the blade as you get deeper in making it much harder to cut .

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #43
Behslayer

You've all tried this right?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #44
Behslayer

That's a Razor Sharp Dexter Deck Knife.

1. Orange/Black 1.4mm Stiff Dyneema
2. 800lb 2.5mm Ulusub MonoCore Dyneema Reel Line
3. 300lb 1.8mm Mono
4. 400lb 2.0mm Mono
5. 600lb 1.8mm Ulusub Monocore Shooting Line
6. 450lb 1/16" Coated Cable

Keep in mind that when you are diving. You are not standing on two feet with gravity giving you a very stable platform. Your lines might not be attached to a fixed object. You might not have the lines directly infront of your line of sight. You might not be using your dominant hand. This test is showing a Best Case Scenario. It's easy to even subconsciously effect your testing when you have a point to prove. But I did my best here to be conscious and even in the cutting strokes I used on each piece.

I've been in that situation before and I know that I was slashing one handed at a line. Each time I slashed I hit a different spot and cut half way through. In the end I survived blacking out. Something to think about when you are recommending lines to people you've never met..
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #45
kon

I just tried that with this 400lb coated cable and the knife I dive with. I certainly couldn't cut it quickly when the line is taught. If I wrap the line around the knife it's a different story but if a fish is dragging me down that won't be an option.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote