Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
bulls eye
JSirven

Ideas for a pipe gun handle build with CNC and mastercam

I work at an engineering magnet high school, the engineering professor volunteered to make the handle for a speargun. He started designing a handle with mastercam, based on a solid piece of aluminum block that he already has available in the classroom. To make it as easy as possible I showed him the components from various manufactures. He will use the Neptonics AR-15 handle and base along with the Tin-Man reverse trigger mechanism. He said that the CNC machine connected to the computer with mastercam software will mill the block of aluminum to the specifications needed to fit the trigger and the base for the AR-15 handle. The only part I wasn't too sure about was connecting the enclosed track pipe from Mako to this milled block of aluminum. The instructor said that he can have the CNC machine with mastercam cut a round cylinder on one end with a 1.05" inch outside diameter to receive the pipe. What do you think about this idea, do you think it will work? My thoughts are that I can have a similar handle as the Mako AR-15 ETR but constructed from interchangeable parts and the base made from aluminum.

Thanks
Jose
bulls eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
dustyyoungblood

Re: Ideas for a pipe gun handle build with CNC and mastercam

is this a real thread? Never mind. Just have him download this file for free on grab cad and he can make you an entire speargun.

https://grabcad.com/library/desert-eagle-speargun
dustyyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Behslayer

Cool, get in there.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Tin Man

I think that an aluminum handle, with the addition of an aluminum AR15 frame and a stainless trigger mech, will be more weight than most rail gun barrels can float with the shaft out. Maybe that matters to you or maybe it doesn't, but it's something to consider. You will also want to consider how to limit galvanic corrosion between the aluminum handle and the stainless trigger mech.

Last edited by Tin Man; 03-09-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
I think that an aluminum handle, with the addition of an aluminum AR15 frame and a stainless trigger mech, will be more weight than most rail gun barrels can float with the shaft out. Maybe that matters to you or maybe it doesn't, but it's something to consider. You will also want to consider how to limit galvanic corrosion between the aluminum handle and the stainless trigger mech.
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote