Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
fishyhutjr

Cressi comanche vs other gun

Hey guys, So I bought a cressi comanche recently and it is near impossible to pull back. I havent tried it out yet since I have yet to go home but my dad is saying that above water, he cant pull the band any more than 5 inches from the notch. It could possibly be that he doesnt know how to load it or because he's trying to do it out of water. What ever the case, i believe that the band is too hard. Should I keep this gun or go for another gun in the high $100's range. I will be going to catalina for a week in late december. Is pathos standard good and easy to pull back? How about picasso. 90 cm should be fit for calico, perch, maybe small yellow(?) sheephead, halibut right?

Last edited by fishyhutjr; 12-18-2014 at 11:12 AM.
fishyhutjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
ChasinButts

Re: Cressi comanche vs other gun

First off, don't load your gun out of water.

If you're going to be targeting the species you named a 90 will be fine. You can also use it pretty much all year for shore diving. I'm too lazy to type a full response to your questions but hopefully someone else can chime in... but...

1) don't get a gun in the high "100's" range... there's no point in that assuming you are hunting perch, calico, sheephead, halibut. Stick with what you have or get a 90 if you have money to burn. Or take your money and buy a reel or floatline for your comanche so you don't hurt yourself or lose it or return the comanche to sports chalet and get an RA90 or something. And eat what you kill. So if you're gonna shoot perch and opaleye, eat it.
2) yes Pathos is a great brand. I can't speak for the standards, but I have a few pathos and they're great guns, I'm sure the standard is fine, go see Petros in Irvine at SpearAmerica.
3) take me to Catalina with you, I'll give you fish and gas money.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Beer Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasinButts View Post
First off, don't load your gun out of water.
What he said.

Also, don't buy a new gun because you can't load the Cressi. The first couple of times you load the new bands will be the hardest, but there is a technique to it. Watch the video below to get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ch87-bEcMY

If you still can't load it for some extreme reason, tie some longer bands. The bands should be plenty long if the gun is factory new, though.
Beer Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
laguna80
El Capitan

I think pathos runs their bands a little shorter too, so that DEF won't solve the problem.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

He's probably doing it wrong. I'm sure you'll be fine
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:02 AM   #6
mainphrame

Location: Your so called secret spots and places your momma wont let you go to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyhutjr View Post
Hey guys, So I bought a cressi comanche recently and it is near impossible to pull back. I havent tried it out yet since I have yet to go home but my dad is saying that above water, he cant pull the band any more than 5 inches from the notch. It could possibly be that he doesnt know how to load it or because he's trying to do it out of water. What ever the case, i believe that the band is too hard. Should I keep this gun or go for another gun in the high 100's range. I will be going to catalina for a week in late december. Is pathos standard good and easy to pull back? How about picasso. 90 cm should be fit for calico, perch, maybe small yellow(?) sheephead, halibut right?
How long are your bands and whats the length of your shaft from the muzzle to the furthest back notch.
mainphrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
Mr Main22
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
He's probably doing it wrong. I'm sure you'll be fine
What he said ^^
It's a lot easier if you do it with technique. 1 hand on one side of the band then push butt to your chest with your other hand and grab other side of the band and pull. Don't do it underhand but overhand. You have a lot more power like this to pull the bands. Good luck

- Adrian
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
SeaCured
First Nation Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyhutjr View Post
Hey guys, So I bought a cressi comanche recently and it is near impossible to pull back. I havent tried it out yet since I have yet to go home but my dad is saying that above water, he cant pull the band any more than 5 inches from the notch. It could possibly be that he doesnt know how to load it or because he's trying to do it out of water. What ever the case, i believe that the band is too hard. Should I keep this gun or go for another gun in the high 100's range. I will be going to catalina for a week in late december. Is pathos standard good and easy to pull back? How about picasso. 90 cm should be fit for calico, perch, maybe small yellow(?) sheephead, halibut right?
With your experience level I would say ditch the gun for now and pick up a cheap polespear. You should definitely not go bigger because you don't know how to load bands, and it will only get harder with a longer gun, let alone several other factors.. It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Your technique is the problem....or strength. Getting a new gun so you can have an easier time loading your bands is like buying a new surfboard because you can't figure out how to put the leash on.
SeaCured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Come over the shop and bring the gun to check out the bands. I can also show you how to load it. No need to change. Sorry i meant buy a Pathos definitely!!!
Jokes aside come over the shop to talk about some basic rules. If you need longer bands we can change those on your Cressi.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
ChasinButts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
Come over the shop and bring the gun to check out the bands. I can also show you how to load it. No need to change. Sorry i meant buy a Pathos definitely!!!
Jokes aside come over the shop to talk about some basic rules. If you need longer bands we can change those on your Cressi.
What he said.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCured View Post
With your experience level I would say ditch the gun for now and pick up a cheap polespear. You should definitely not go bigger because you don't know how to load bands, and it will only get harder with a longer gun, let alone several other factors.. It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Your technique is the problem....or strength. Getting a new gun so you can have an easier time loading your bands is like buying a new surfboard because you can't figure out how to put the leash on.
What he said.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
ChasinButts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
What he said.
He said he was gonna spend a week in Catalina... not a month or two... and I'm sure he wants to kill some fish... in the long run, pole spear will probably help you, but I'd go with a 90 if you want fish to eat.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
Nix

Maybe change band to a thinner diameter if loading is still a problem after talking to Petros, you'll get better performance than a thicker longer band.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Maybe change band to a thinner diameter if loading is still a problem after talking to Petros, you'll get better performance than a thicker longer band.
i feel like i get much better perfomance running 2 small short bands over one large thick one.

seems like it gains velocity although ive never chronod. def reduced recoil and easier to load
Old 12-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #15
shmitefire

you have to pull the bands back quick in one fluid motion. if you try to pull slow you will never load it.