Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #16
sharpshooter

Re: Trip Videos

Been there and done that 3 times since 1978. 2 out of the 3 times, I grabbed my gun as it was slowly heading to the surface. The other time. I surfaced about 5' from my gun as the boat was heading to make a surface gun recovery. So far, It hasn't happened in many years. Felt stupid not putting my arm thru both bands due to a distraction. Now, I always double tug my arm banded gun. My handle is solid. Could always trim a 2# lead weight and attach it near the gun butt. Just more weight for me to lug around. Nice video and great vis. Like the water temp. and depth shown on your video camera too.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #17
jfjf

Cool video. with the Biller handles, you can just take a big fishing weight and start beating on it on the driveway until it is just flat and thin enough to wedge into the handle. Only takes a minute or so and if the weight sticks out a little on the bottom, who cares.

You can put a screw into it, if you are worried it will fall out or you want to be able to remove it. I always used a sinking gun for freeshafting.

And lastly, if you don't realize that the depth was probably the reason why you were "slow on the uptake"... well... I bet you never tried to reload a speargun with a pole spear at 130 feet before. LOL
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #18
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Been there and done that 3 times since 1978. 2 out of the 3 times, I grabbed my gun as it was slowly heading to the surface. The other time. I surfaced about 5' from my gun as the boat was heading to make a surface gun recovery. So far, It hasn't happened in many years. Felt stupid not putting my arm thru both bands due to a distraction. Now, I always double tug my arm banded gun. My handle is solid. Could always trim a 2# lead weight and attach it near the gun butt. Just more weight for me to lug around. Nice video and great vis. Like the water temp. and depth shown on your video camera too.
Thanks, Jose.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #19
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Cool video. with the Biller handles, you can just take a big fishing weight and start beating on it on the driveway until it is just flat and thin enough to wedge into the handle. Only takes a minute or so and if the weight sticks out a little on the bottom, who cares.

You can put a screw into it, if you are worried it will fall out or you want to be able to remove it. I always used a sinking gun for freeshafting.

And lastly, if you don't realize that the depth was probably the reason why you were "slow on the uptake"... well... I bet you never tried to reload a speargun with a pole spear at 130 feet before. LOL
Lol. Oh for sure, looking at the video I was slow on everything the first couple dives, but began to pick up the pace as the dives progressed on. I'm sure a little narcosis played a roll into me literally pushing the gun out of my way as it was floating up. I fumbled unclipping my stringer a bit on that first fish as well which is probably why it got the distance it did from me.

Just more experience to my spearfishing goals. I felt good and confident, it ain't the deepest I've been, but If I want to play in the 180-200 range I need to be able to work the mind through a little narcosis and that I think means another 25-50 more dives in the 120-150 range. Keep working my way down, so to speak. Two things I learned from this trip. Move faster even if I think things are going at a higher pace. I can move much faster without risk of co2 and put some ballast in my damn gun.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #20
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Lol. Oh for sure, looking at the video I was slow on everything the first couple dives, but began to pick up the pace as the dives progressed on. I'm sure a little narcosis played a roll into me literally pushing the gun out of my way as it was floating up. I fumbled unclipping my stringer a bit on that first fish as well which is probably why it got the distance it did from me.

Just more experience to my spearfishing goals. I felt good and confident, it ain't the deepest I've been, but If I want to play in the 180-200 range I need to be able to work the mind through a little narcosis and that I think means another 25-50 more dives in the 120-150 range. Keep working my way down, so to speak. Two things I learned from this trip. Move faster even if I think things are going at a higher pace. I can move much faster without risk of co2 and put some ballast in my damn gun.
Or just shoulder your gun after each shot😁. That’s how I handle the issue. However, in spite of the fact that I have not floated my gun in at least 5 years, on my last trip I was digging a fish out of a hole and when I pulled the gun off the shaft to retrieve the fish I had a brain fart and let go of the gun and up it went. Fortunately I had those bright “florescent orange bands” and the guys in the boat spotted the gun right away. Those orange bands are the bomb!

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #21
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear One View Post
Or just shoulder your gun after each shot😁. That’s how I handle the issue. However, in spite of the fact that I have not floated my gun in at least 5 years, on my last trip I was digging a fish out of a hole and when I pulled the gun off the shaft to retrieve the fish I had a brain fart and let go of the gun and up it went. Fortunately I had those bright “florescent orange bands” and the guys in the boat spotted the gun right away. Those orange bands are the bomb!
My first thought was, "is it hiding from in the silt I kicked up" and I recall thinking those orange bands would be a good idea.

I did start out early on years ago putting my arm through the bands but just find it to be a bit of hinderance, especially if it's negative with spare shafts. I'll try the handle ballast. I still had a lot of time left on that first dive which was consequently ruined by a bonehead mistake. I don't want to make the same mistake again. It could be the difference between a personal best or a much needed defense from a grey suit.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #22
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAPL View Post
Nice videos. What software do you use for video editing?
Thanks. Movavi. Download the trial version and then try and uninstall it and they'll give you a ~20% discount to buy.

It's not an advanced editor like using Adobe, but it's very user friendly, intuitive, processes edits quickly amd directly from the source file (no waiting to import), and offers color correction. It has the capability to do some more advanced things. Like in my intro I was able to animate the raining fish skeletons. All around a good inexpensive app.

I basically keep a start file for every video with my intro, drop a soundtrack and then progressively add each video clip following the timeline of the day, cutting the highlights and then I go back and try to trim more and fit it all to match the soundtrack length. I do my best to make cuts on the beats. I find no fancy transitions look better. Just straight cuts. I think trying to tell a story of the day within the video makes them more interesting. Some people don't like music, but they're my videos, to document my dives, so oh well. If I get closer to being able to monetize this channel I'll probably change my approach to video editing. I got a ways to go before hitting the 1k subscriber requirement, despite having thousands of hours of views on my channel. Which most came from my first underwater video of a dive looking at aquacultured live rock. Go figure. Frickin rocks. Lol
Old 06-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #23
DNAPL

Thanks. I'll try tonight.
DNAPL is offline   Reply With Quote