Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #136
toptuna

Re: Land Hunting Perma Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
Interesting video. The first clip was the best. Where is that video of the lion running full speed at the guy then he shoots and the things slides into him? That video was intense. I never understood those African hunts they dont even let you keep the meat. They have the animals penned up and you pay THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS to shoot them. Sure some of the "high fence" places are huge. Just never appealed to me to spend crazy $ for a skin and horns. I know they give the meat to the tribes. I would kill any of the animals if i got to keep the meat and it was 20G per animal. I wonder what elephant tastes like?
Ya I have struggled in the past in my head as well. If I have the money I would do it. It's just another way to help out the people over there. My wife has been on a mission trip over there and we went to my landlords house. He had spent millions hunting African animals with a few world records. He explained how the locals aren't allowed to harvest the animals and when he shot his elephant, white rhino, silverback gorilla, ect. They were very thankful.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #137
Big_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
Ya I have struggled in the past in my head as well. If I have the money I would do it. It's just another way to help out the people over there. My wife has been on a mission trip over there and we went to my landlords house. He had spent millions hunting African animals with a few world records. He explained how the locals aren't allowed to harvest the animals and when he shot his elephant, white rhino, silverback gorilla, ect. They were very thankful.
That's kind one of the reasons I struggle with it. The locals can't hunt the animals because they are worth so much. The white people get shit loads of cash and justify it as helping the locals. It's a different part o the world so I may be off base in my claims. It's just such a big money maker justified by throwing the starving tribes people some scraps. To each his own I guess and I won't pass judgment as I dot really know the specifics of how it works over there. Honestly if I had the money I would rather hunt monster elk, moose, and sheep but that's just my opinion. Part of my reservation about doing a safari hunt is I'm not that big of a fan of the pampered outfitter style hunting.
Big_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #138
Cameronv
Ando26

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptuna View Post
wow
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #139
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Berg View Post
That's kind one of the reasons I struggle with it. The locals can't hunt the animals because they are worth so much. The white people get shit loads of cash and justify it as helping the locals. It's a different part o the world so I may be off base in my claims. It's just such a big money maker justified by throwing the starving tribes people some scraps. To each his own I guess and I won't pass judgment as I dot really know the specifics of how it works over there. Honestly if I had the money I would rather hunt monster elk, moose, and sheep but that's just my opinion. Part of my reservation about doing a safari hunt is I'm not that big of a fan of the pampered outfitter style hunting.
Looking from the outside, it seems disturbing. Looking deeper into it, the money from the hunts is put to good use protecting the species. The species would be in sooo much worse shape w/o the managed hunt.
That being said, I still find it somewhat disturbing and would never care to participate...but I'm glad that it is being put to good use.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #140
Dwikkles
It's what's for dinner

Where my Bowhunters at??
Dwikkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #141
MonkeyChunks1

I was wonderign about hunting in Africa for a while myself and then i did my homework on the subject. The majority of hunting in africa is done on land owned by rich white foreigners mostly dutch.
You buy the land it entitles you to everything and everyone on the land. If a tribe is on the land you purchase you become the stewards of that tribe. Same if you purchase an island with locals on it. If game animals are on your land it is up to you to manage them accordingly to preserve your land or your property. If it is a protected species or endangered, you can pay extra for a permit from the state in order to hunt that animal.If you pay enough everythings open, but there are quotas as well that need to be met.
It goes like this
You book a hunt with a private outfit, basically you stay on the families property and hunt whatever you want, once you have the money. The meat is donated to local tribes(portions are kept and cooked as exotic bush meat for hunters to say they ate what they killed) the hides and ivory are yours.
Processign takes a while and costs alot but is necessary in order to get your pelts home legally. Basically more money.
Realistically, if i had the chance i would do it.
For $5000 plus air fair you can hunt 5 big game species in africa.
If you look into a white tail hunt lately you will see that anything considered a trophy will run you 2-3 thousand here in the states. So you do the math. The ends may not justify the means, I mean basically the dutch land owners are gettign richer, some people are getting fed and employed but animals considered protected are being killed by rich guys who have money.

I hunt public lands because i have no money. I am not lookign for trophys only clean disease free, non medicated meat for my family.
But if i had the money i would hunt for trophys and adventure but hey i am not Tom Miranda i dont hunt for a lliving, but if i was i would hunt Africa
MonkeyChunks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #142
Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwikkles View Post
Where my Bowhunters at??
Right here man! Bowhunt or die!!

-Hoyt Carbon element 60# 27 1/2 inch draw
-250grain Carbon Express Blue streak arrows
-Spot Hog Tommy Hog single pin sighted in from 15-80 yards
-Shwacker broad heads
Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #143
apexdiver
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookup View Post

-Shwacker broad heads
Hey have you had any problems with the shwackers opening up at 60lbs?
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #144
aus
squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwikkles View Post
Where my Bowhunters at??
Right here! Unfortunately, skunked this past buck season.
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #145
Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdiver View Post
Hey have you had any problems with the shwackers opening up at 60lbs?
Surprisingly....NO!!! I bought them for deer hunting because I shot my first ever deer with magnus buzz cuts at 70 yards and it was what looked to be a double lung shot and the arrow didn't go through and no blood trail. So anyways I am a broad head freak and buy all the cool looking broadheads. The shwacker has been the most accurate I have ever shot. And its mostly shot placement that counts so thats what I chose to hunt with. No need to tune it just sight in your field points and the shwackers will do the rest no tuning needed. That being said I went for my first ever archery pig hunt and I didn't know wether to use a cut on contact for more penetration or the shwacker for a 100% know where I aim its gunna hit type of shot. Anyways my friend used a rage broad head and stuck his pig a little low heart but it poured blood and while all of the pigs ran one stayed and was looking around. Bout a 35 yard shot with my shwacker(yes you can actually hear the shwack) and it was a double lung shot straight passthrough and stuck into the ground! I couldn't believe it! Pig went down in about 15 seconds in sight. My friend who shot his pig with a rage needed two more follow up shots with his rage in order to put the pig down. Im not ever gunna use a rage from that experience I witnessed.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #146
ryddragyn
Ultimate Insurrection

The only Rage kill I saw first hand, my friend hit it quartering away kinda far back, it died and rolled down the hill. The entry wound was so wide that the action of rolling down the hill pushed its intestines almost completely out.

That said, I don't use them. I prefer fixed blades.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #147
ryddragyn
Ultimate Insurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookup View Post

-Shwacker broad heads
Is 250 grains your total arrow weight?? That's a seriously light arrow, even for 60 pounds.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #148
Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryddragyn View Post
Is 250 grains your total arrow weight?? That's a seriously light arrow, even for 60 pounds.
No just the raw shaft is 250, I prefer the faster straighter arrow instead of a heavier slower arrow that punches harder. Id say the arrow plus 100 grain tip plus blazers plus nocturnal is about 380 grains. My friend shoots same bow but with a 100 grain heavier arrow and his rage didn't penetrate halfway through. Whatever works for the person it is all personal preference, in the end a dead deer is a dead deer right?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #149
apexdiver
Tony

Anyone here try the easton fmj?I am planing on getting some with a 400 spine.
apexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #150
Hookup

I heard great reviews about them. I was gunna amp up my bow poundage and use them. But the fact they can bend because their outer coat is metal kinda threw me off. I put my arrows through hell though, shooting squirrels on trees, rocks, in holes, crazy long shots.....I go through about a dozen before season and have to order more