Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM   #61
kon

Re: Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

I ordered a pair of small plier cutters to dive with.
Link here. They're only 4.5" long and easily cut through the 400# line.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #62
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

thanks for the recco Kon!
I've found pliers, like most things in a toolbox, to be bastards of things to use underwater, esp in close to the body. hence hoping the Ezycut might work cos theyre so easy to deploy in a big hurry and damn side safer than a very sharp dive knife
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #63
kon

Yep I'd much rather use something better suited for diving. I'm not sure if an Ezycut would work. I'll look into buying and testing one.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #64
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
I pool tested the lines using the Abellan Albacore 130 with 6.5 meters distance to target, 170cm 8.5mm threaded Hunt shafts, 14.5mm small ID bands at 380%, and 5 foam gym mat tiles epoxied together for the target. I used the threaded shafts as-is without a slip tip. I took 20 shots between the 400# coated cable, 480# coated cable and 400# mono. 80% of the shots were within 2 inches.

The coated cable was easy to load and there were no noticeable cuts to the bands. I didn't notice much of a difference between the 400# and 480# coated cable. I had the same grouping with both. I also didn't notice a difference in penetration. The shafts consistently penetrated until the rest tabs and sometimes farther.

Interestingly the 400# mono didn't perform as well. I started with it and then tried it again after the coated cable to be sure of the results. Accuracy was comparable with coated cable but I felt more shots went wide. Penetration definitely wasn't as good. The shafts would stop ~12" before the rest tab.

I was expecting the mono to perform better since it's lighter. The 400# mono is 2mm while the 400# coated cable is 1.4mm so I suppose despite the difference in weight, the smaller diameter of the coated cable allows it to more easily move through water. Another possible factor that occurred to me after testing is my crimped line loop at the shaft was small with the coated cable but larger with the mono, although I'm not sure that would have much of an effect.

My testing certainly isn't as controlled or thorough as yours Majd so it'll be interesting to see your results.
I really don't recommend testing with a threaded shaft and no slip tip. The shaft will behave much differently that with a properly designed flopper or slip tip. My guess is that you will be consistently missing much lower without a tip. Also, losing quite a bit of shaft speed.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #65
kon

The threaded Hunt shaft I used is pointed at the tip, almost slightly sharp. I retested the 400# coated cable using the same shaft with a tri-cut slip tip and had the same shaft drop. Accuracy was a little worse with the slip tip than without. I could definitely see threaded shafts with a flat tip behaving differently.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #66
jstiver09

Quote:
The threaded Hunt shaft I used is pointed at the tip, almost slightly sharp. I retested the 400# coated cable using the same shaft with a tri-cut slip tip and had the same shaft drop. Accuracy was a little worse with the slip tip than without. I could definitely see threaded shafts with a flat tip behaving differently.
I have used that exact shaft as well, I know what you are talking about. It still will behave much differently without a tip of some sort. Also, many slip tips are very inaccurate in long range testing, especially tri-cut in my experience. A good slip tip to standardize from is the pencil tip Mori but make sure the dyneema/cable is running perfectly on the top every time. Even a change in position of that will throw off the shot. If you don't have a Mori pencil then use a good flopper shaft with a cone of recessed flopper. The flopper on the bottom of a shaft as well as the toggle point on the bottom of a slip tip (when the line is on top) actually acts to stabilize the shaft. For proof, take the flopper off of a shaft and shoot it bare. The results will likely be worse that you may predict.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #67
kon

Makes sense. I was getting a 2 inch grouping at 6.5 meters with a few shots going wide. I suppose using a pencil slip tip would tighten it up.

As far as this coated cable performing well, Majd had the same results here. Seems like a solid, cost effective option for using cable.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #68
kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavachi View Post
thanks for the recco Kon!
I've found pliers, like most things in a toolbox, to be bastards of things to use underwater, esp in close to the body. hence hoping the Ezycut might work cos theyre so easy to deploy in a big hurry and damn side safer than a very sharp dive knife
I ordered an Eezycut Trilobyte to test out. Unfortunately it didn't cut the 1.4mm 400# coated cable well. I tried wrapping the cable with my hand and also pulling it taut using a vice... both ways it took time and too much effort to cut. I think the best option is a small pair of shears or pliers.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 AM   #69
spearq8

Probably a knife is not the best thing to cut cable ... actually a knife can be difficult to cut thick kevlar and spectra too. Something like shears or those scissors that have serrated edges ... those things chop cable like it was nothing. I can think of several ways to make a tool to cut cable easily and still make it easy and practical for spearfishing ... matter of fact it would also be great for cutting spectra and kevlar as well.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #70
Behslayer

Sharp as sharp knife without serrations will cut dyneema and kevlar easily. But doesn't work as well with Cable. Little tiny serrations that are rounded will cut Dyneema, Kevlar, and Cable with the best compromise.. Big serrations are useless for cutting lines or cable and will screw you up. Shears have the opposite effect. They work great with Cable because it's rigid, but can be a pain in the ass to cut Dyneema because it's soft.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #71
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Quote:
I ordered an Eezycut Trilobyte to test out. Unfortunately it didn't cut the 1.4mm 400# coated cable well. I tried wrapping the cable with my hand and also pulling it taut using a vice... both ways it took time and too much effort to cut. I think the best option is a small pair of shears or pliers.
Thanks for the feedback on the Ezycut Kon! Have ordered up a pair of Clauss shears on GR's recco

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #72
kon

Those look great. I'll order and try out a pair too.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #73
Red Tide

Here are the ones I have. Very similar to the ones you ordered. Also if you have one of these old knife sheaths laying around without the knife you just found a good sheath for the shearers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2089.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	232539  
Old 04-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #74
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

These cut through the cable with ease and are lower profile than other trauma shears being considered the mini version. I have not tried to see if they cut through a penny as fast as regular trauma shears.

They also come with a sheath.

http://www.spearfishingworld.com/mini-sea-snips.html
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #75
popgun pete

These look interesting, just found them while looking for something else.
http://lmrtackle.com/boone-stainless...-6-pliers.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boone stainless cutter.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	232568  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote