Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #1
Ron S

17.5mm rubber?

The gun I find the most useful here in NorCal is my little Rob Allen 70. On a gun that small I’m a fan of just a single band. With a 7mm shaft, a 19mm band cut to 23 inches gives the most accuracy. I really tried to use a single 16mm band cut to 17” or less, but for some reason, it always shoots high. I’m just wondering if a single 17.5mm band cut somewhere in between the above two would be effective. Anybody use this oddball sized rubber for single band applications on short guns?
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:01 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: 17.5mm rubber?

Oddball? Not at all... That's what I use for my single band guns. Granted I use thinner shafts (due to my kind of fishing). Usually 6,25 or 6,5mm

Currently I use PrimeLine 17,5mm... and I have a sealed blister with 3m coil of Cressi Sub Khaki Pure (17,5mm) waiting to replace that Primeline once it dies...

The problem is that the 17,5mm Primeline DOES NOT WANT TO DIE!! What a resilent rubber!

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #3
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Oddball? Not at all... That's what I use for my single band guns. Granted I use thinner shafts (due to my kind of fishing). Usually 6,25 or 6,5mm

Currently I use PrimeLine 17,5mm... and I have a sealed blister with 3m coil of Cressi Sub Khaki Pure (17,5mm) waiting to replace that Primeline once it dies...

The problem is that the 17,5mm Primeline DOES NOT WANT TO DIE!! What a resilent rubber!

Mikel
It is indeed good stuff! So, silly question, but as to cutting 17.5 to length. I’m thinking I would just go halfway between what I would cut 16mm to and what I would cut 19mm to? As an example, on my little RA 70, I either use a 16mm band cut to 18”, or a 19mm band cut to 23”, so maybe cut the 17.5 mm band to 20.5”?
Old 04-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
musubi

I think it would be a good length to start at and go from there. That's providing the bands you're using are of the same brand since the band force per length can vary a lot.
musubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #5
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
I think it would be a good length to start at and go from there. That's providing the bands you're using are of the same brand since the band force per length can vary a lot.
That’s a very good point! Right now everything I have is Primeline rubber, but I’ve had a few batches in the past that varied a lot. I think I’ll just start at 22” and trim it down from there. Never used this diameter rubber before, so this is pretty much an experiment.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:05 AM   #6
Mikel_24

When I cut rubber I try to be conservative. You can always cut a bit more if you find them too soft... but if you are too short from the start... you just wasted a fair piece of rubber. You can always reuse it a shorter gun or cut a piece for a tender-shot setup in another gun, but that's not the point.

What I do is the following (initial cuts):
- 14mm rubber (Cressi Brown), cut to 330%
- 16mm rubber (Primeline), cut to 300%.
- 17,5mm rubber (Primeline or Cressi Khaki Pure), cut to 280%.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
Ron S

Got back from the coast last night. Got a chance to do a quick shore dive and chase a few fish with the RA70. I tried out the 17.5 primeline rubber. It’s cut to 230% loaded to the first notch, and 260% at the second notch. I found this to be noticeably harder to load than the 24” 19mm band I’ve been using, but that band, while Primeline as well, is pretty old.
This seems to have plenty of power to the end of a single wrap. (I know this because I missed two hail Mary shots at fish that were just out of range). Also plenty accurate since I didn’t miss the few fish I managed to get within range of. Think I’ll stick with this setup on the hole gun for awhile.