Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
renepotvin

Exclamation Ever got bit by a fish? I did!

The most surprising thing in the world. Seriously it bit me to the bone. Not the sort of thing that ever happened to me.

https://youtu.be/NslE8Wq08j8

Http://www.renepotvin.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/potvinr
Do subscribe, i'll subscribe back
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
divenfish

Re: Ever got bit by a fish? I did!

Nice video, bummer about the bite....lucky you did not get bit by a 40 pounder
Were you on the Cortez or on the Pacific side?
divenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
sharpshooter

While spearfishing and stringing up a fish. You've never been bitten. You haven't shot enough fish yet.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
While spearfishing and stringing up a fish. You've never been bitten. You haven't shot enough fish yet.

Trigger fish..String thru the gill/mouth..or you Will get Bit

Jew fish...I've been gabbed by the shoulder and shaken like a rag doll, all over a disagreement of whose AJ it was..that I shot BTW!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #5
Dbrown

Nice video Rene! Definitely been bit by snapper. Typically when I put my hand in front of their mouth like you did. Did get yelled at once for not stringing a triggerfish through the mouth when the guy I handed my stringer to on the boat got bit. And he had a chunk taken out.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
Greg4339

Yep. Big triggerfish. Had to superglue my finger back together and was out of the water for 9 days. Still have a scar and funny feeling on my finger. I also have a funny feeling I won’t be shooting those anymore
Greg4339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #7
sharpshooter

My son during his early teenage spearing days strung up a trigger thru the eyes. I didn't see him shoot and string it up. I heard him screaming underwater and turned around to see him beating a trigger fish on the head with the spear gun butt. The trigger fish was clamped down between his legs near the groin area. Then, he dropped the gun and pulled out his knife. Cut the head completely off. Trigger was still clamped down on a death lock. We aborted the dive. On the boat, I had to use a screwdriver and pliers to get the jaws apart. After getting his wetsuit off. He was lucky on the bite. It was on the upper thigh near his jewels. He said, he new better. But, had forgotten to string thru the gills and out the mouth on his metal stringer. We cleaned his wound out and patched him up. Done diving for the day. The wetsuit hole was a easy fix. Took awhile for the bite to heal up. He has a small scar as a reminder of his careless mistake. He was lucky on the location of the bite. Otherwise, I might not have a grandson and granddaughter. True story.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
Dbrown

Ohhh man! That story sucks! But it should be published and read before any dive where someone might shoot one that doesn't know about these voracious biters. 😀
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
PigStikr
The Stalker

Great vid. Caught some triggers H&L in Baja and they sure made an impressive noise grinding on the pliers removing the hooks.
The fish that scare me though are halibut. Got bit by a small one many years ago and still have the scar. Teeth are absolutely razor sharp.
Pretty much anything gets a knife through the skull before being strung on a diaper pin through the gills and out the mouth.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #10
stevencabo
tercermundista

Send a message via Yahoo to stevencabo

Yes but not to the bone. I really enjoy seeing those territorial schools of pargo.
stevencabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
renepotvin

My policy with triggers is to cut the mouth off right away. I don't believe you can ever kill them. Also, not sure about putting the stringer through the teeth... that would lead to a cut stringer no?

Anyone got their hands crushed inside the gill area of a fish?

Old 05-27-2022, 08:58 AM   #12
NC_Spearo

Lots of trigger fish bites here. On my hands and one really good one on the inside of my thigh - I still have a hard lump about 12" down from my groin on my left leg after 4 years.

Last year I had a 12' + tiger shark come from below and get my long fin in his mouth, all the way up to the foot pocket - shook me around for a few seconds and then drug me around for another 10 seconds or so before turning loose. The fin pocket took most of the damage - only 4 stiches across the top of my right foot.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:24 PM   #13
renepotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Spearo View Post
Lots of trigger fish bites here. On my hands and one really good one on the inside of my thigh - I still have a hard lump about 12" down from my groin on my left leg after 4 years.

Last year I had a 12' + tiger shark come from below and get my long fin in his mouth, all the way up to the foot pocket - shook me around for a few seconds and then drug me around for another 10 seconds or so before turning loose. The fin pocket took most of the damage - only 4 stiches across the top of my right foot.
Holy cow, that's in front of Morehead?

Old 05-27-2022, 06:12 PM   #14
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Them Triggers can be nasty. I've heard stories from the LA gang in which big Trig's have come up and taken bites out of the ears of divers on the rigs. Not as bad as Mike Tyson...but still.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #15
NC_Spearo

Holy cow, that's in front of Morehead?

Yep - just east of the Cape Lookout Shoals. Sharky place over there.