Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Otolithco

Lake Powell - Early September

I'll be out on a boat in Lake Powell for a few days at the beginning of September and I'm debating bringing the spearfishing gear. I'll definitely be bringing the freedive gear so I figure I might as well bring a gun.

Has anyone been diving there recently or have experience at Powell? I know the water level is very low. Any idea what sort of visibility I can expect?

The water temp data shows it should still be upper 70s. Am I right to assume that there will be a strong thermocline into cold water? In Arkansas it was always a "too hot at the surface, too cold at the bottom" situation.

3mm? 5mm? rash guard?
Otolithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
svivian

Re: Lake Powell - Early September

Lake Powell is awesome for spearfishing so I would bring the gun. Clarity is best in the main channel up to 40' is definitely possible that time of year. The backs of canyons and coves will drop down to as little as 10'. I like to spearfish the mouths of the canyons on the points. Should be good for walleye and striper. If you are looking for trigger time carp are found all over the lake in the backs of canyons. Just make sure to cut the air bladders and sink them.

I like a rash guard but the thermocline depends on the depth. If you are dropping only to 30' - 40' the temps should be mid 60's. If you drop to 80 feet or more in the main channel it gets pretty cold and I need at least a 3 mil.

Striper will be in the 35 - 60 ft range that time of year.

Also which end are you launching from? its a big lake...
svivian is offline   Reply With Quote