Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
divingdoc

White Shark Thread

I've been diving in N. Cal for 32 years. 15 years ago I saw my first white shark diving off Tomales Point in Oct. The following year in Nov. I was almost sampled by another white shark in the same area ( I know Tomales Point "what did he expect!? See below). About 9 years ago three friends, Dave/Clark/Roy were diving in south Fort Ross Cove when Clark dove down, speared a red, and got buzzed by a 12-14 ft white. They spent 45' on a wash rock until the rising tide forced them to swim to the nearest point on shore.
This Sept.4 of us were kayak diving out of Timber Cove. We were about a mile north, shot some lings and rock fish. I was on the surface loading my gun when a white shark longer than my Scupper Pro swam about 8 ft under me. I shouted " everybody out of the water" and in 10 seconds all four of us were on our kayaks.
Three days ago we dove "hole in the fence" at the north end of Salt Point.I had just speared my second ling when my friend Derek swam up to me and said he had just dove down and on his drop had a 12-15 ft white shark swim under him. We made for shore and warned two other divers who were heading out to where we had been to change their plans.
So.....I have now been involved in two shark incidences in the last three months plus my earlier episodes and am wondering about the experiences of other divers in our area. Can we start a thread about encounters so the diving communtiy can be somewhat aware of what is going on?
There is a shark tagging program off Tomales Point every year from Sept-Dec. The other day two friends spoke with the guys doing the tagging....that day they "raised" four different white sharks, two already had tags and two new ones! So it seems to me we are diving in an area with an increasing number of "men in the grey suit""and it would be nice to keep track.
Thoughts?
divingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Re: White Shark Thread

Doc, it's definitely happening on the east coast. Check this out:

The great Atlantic comeback of the great white shark

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=186588

FYI, Tony
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
myles gutgesell
nor_cal diver

I'm from santa cruz ca and I surf and spearfish. Lately there has been a huge surge in sightings. while we surfed the other day, one swam under my buddy as he was paddling, and he actually grabbed the dorsal fin.
myles gutgesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
ThomasLV

A few months ago, a few divers got buzzed by a GW in Pacific Grove. They told us as we were swimming out, we stuck extra close to shore... And a few weeks ago Manresa had like 7 whites at one time, seen from a Helicopter and a couple more at the cement ship seen from a drone.

My buddy who flies also saw one deep in the SF Bay, like deep... A few miles from Palo Alto deep. Theres definitely something going on.
ThomasLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
lives o'leisure

Makes me think I should avoid the 'dense' central cal otter areas I solely dive in. Thankfully only had 7 gill encounters (though of decent size).

http://www.santacruzwaves.com/local-...tter-vs-shark/
Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
mfarrell

Seems they stopped showing episodes of great white expedition once they realized how many were off Malibu coastline. The website was showing the gps travels of the ones tagged. Probably more in the pipeline coming soon. So many seals it's common sense the predator populations would rise too.
mfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrell View Post
Seems they stopped showing episodes of great white expedition once they realized how many were off Malibu coastline. The website was showing the gps travels of the ones tagged. Probably more in the pipeline coming soon. So many seals it's common sense the predator populations would rise too.
This hits it on the head. Combine the explosion of seals and sea lions, and the total protection of GWS, and in a generation........ we see a serious upswing in their numbers.

While I can say that it's a good thing that nature recuperates and always seems to find a way to keep chugging along- I am also a believer that if it comes down to donating a piece of gear to deter an attack, then by all means, spear shafts are cheap. Do your best to avoid negative contacts, but then again, don't hesitate to protect yourself and become a statistic.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
cam3087

There's been more sightings along the lost coast and in Mendocino county also this year. I had a 15 footer tailing my kayak before it got distracted by a lost crab buoy.
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
Shorediver

I saw a Great White Shark when diving Catalina Island a couple years ago.It was so thick it looked like a mini submarine.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
cam3087

That's how I describe it also. Nothing sleek about it except for that dorsal fin
cam3087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #11
Zenon

Somewhere off camp pendleton this spring I had my first encounter. One of the best experiences of my life!
Was coming up from a dive and had the shark swim slowly 20' in front of me between me and the boat. Was like a mini-sub. Helpless feeling but exhilarating.
Zenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

It is not called the RED TRIANGLE for nothing, but I agree with Paul AKA rojodiablo,

since the pin-aped act all we have done is created a smorgasbord of food !!!!

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt mattison View Post

since the pin-aped act all we have done is created a smorgasbord of food !!!!
Somebody needs to get this message across to the seal kooks. I just watched a Vice "documentary" piece about dying sea lions, and I can't help but think that massive money is being wasted trying to "help" the damn things out. As if it's somehow mankind's job to "help" an overpopulated species maintain itself at populations putting stress on food supplies and human/animal relations. Nobody gives a thought to how badly we've altered the balance in favor of the pinnipeds by extirpating terrestrial predators (i.e. bears, wolves, and lions) and thereby turning our whole coastline into one big rookery. The tax men are the only ones who are really stoked by all of this, and I'd imagine that there will eventually by GWS in much greater numbers, as long as the food supplies for the pinnipeds hold out, anyways.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote