Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 04-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
grey2112

How do you keep your gun from floating away?

Do most of you simply put your arm through the bands, or do some of you have some sort of tether attached to the gun and to you, so it will float above you while you are string the fish and getting the shaft ready for reload? I free shaft, so the shaft won't have a line attached to it and the gun.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Re: How do you keep your gun from floating away?

I've never seen anyone with a gun tether - sounds tangly. From my point of view, for scuba, you can either add weight to make the gun negatively bouyant enough that the current won't blow it away, or you can put your arm through the bands.

Arm in bands isn't bad, because then you've already got the bands handled for reloading, but I personally prefer to add handle/butt weights to make the gun negative without shafts.

Not great for freediving, but I don't think you do that much.

Then again, you did complain about your gun being too heavy... I suggest 40 push-ups every morning
Old 04-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #3
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
I've never seen anyone with a gun tether - sounds tangly. From my point of view, for scuba, you can either add weight to make the gun negatively bouyant enough that the current won't blow it away, or you can put your arm through the bands.

Arm in bands isn't bad, because then you've already got the bands handled for reloading, but I personally prefer to add handle/butt weights to make the gun negative without shafts.

Not great for freediving, but I don't think you do that much.

Then again, you did complain about your gun being too heavy... I suggest 40 push-ups every morning
And here I thought all those 12 ounce curls would help!

It's never been a problem for my other guns when an extra shaft is on them, but if I launch both shafts then the gun goes positive. My new gun is something I don't want to lose. I can understand the tangly tether, but I'm wondering if I might be able to figure something out that would work - will have to test it.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #4
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
And here I thought all those 12 ounce curls would help!.....
Maybe try pints instead?
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
hectordlt_26

Try a tuna clip on your gun so you can attach it to your weight belt .

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
hectordlt_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
jfjf

I have used a sinking gun for so long when freeshafting that it is instinct to throw it down. The big problem arises when the gun sinks with shafts but float s without - so you have no consistent procedure. It makes the gun kinda heavy to make it sink with no shafts, because when you add 2 more spares it becomes very heavy.

So you either shoulder the bands After a shot or weight the gun. I weight the gun at the handle so it sinks, but stands vertically on the bottom. This makes it t much easier to find after a fish wrestling dust cloud and the weight toward the rear does not slow down the ability to swing and aim.

Tether is not on the radar. If you have a loop or attachments on the handle, you can clip on a loop of fishing weights as an experiment before you commit to an alteration of the gun.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
grey2112

Thanks guys - good stuff here.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
sharpshooter

I have seen guns with a shaved 2 pound lead weight attached between the handle and rear butt by stainless steel screws or epoxy. For me, I started out putting both bands thru my arm about 40 years ago. I always immediately double check to make sure my arm is at least thru one band. Only, had my gun get away 2-3 times in 40 years. I realized it wasn't there and looked up to see it floating towards the surface. Followed it up and retrieved the gun. You could tape a shaved weight to your gun and see if you like it. Before making a full commitment.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote