Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Straight_Chaos
just ask your girl...

Re: Anyone using JBL guns?

I have friends who swear the elite are like a Riffe but more practical. I personally have a JBL Lightning 26, 2bands, and with 3 wraps of SS cable as my wreck/bridge gun and I love it. I have done so mods like foam filled barrel for noise absorption and floatation. I greased the trigger mech and alway rinse with fresh water after shooting and have had no problems. I know this gun is the botom of the JBL line but the trigger mech is holding up perfectly fine with 2 5/8 bands 2 inches shorter than stock. I check it at least once a month to check for wear but nothing. Its a very simple design. Don't think its a super fancy mech cause its not. But it works and it works well. Just A great gun.Now its a world away from my Riffe Standard 3 but for the price I paid I feel it cannot be beat! As a beginner gun or a cheap alternative to something fancy, its perfect. I worry about the water being too rough and abrasive on my purdy Riffe but my Lightning has been lodged up under a wreck with a 20lb Gag tuggin on the other side while I unrocked the pig and I didnt think twice about it. I love my Lightning 26. I can reach out and touch some fish when I double up on the 9/32 shaft even with 3 wraps of SS cable. I would recommend this gun and any like it from JBL. Now this is just my honest unbiased opinion based on personal first hand experience with my JBL Lightning 26. Great gun. Ty
Straight_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #17
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

JBL's probably kill more fish than any other brand of gun out there. Regardless of what you think JBL guns get people into this sport and now the company has moved to try to cater to better divers.
Newer guns without the slide rings and the kitto mech are great.
Paging Mr Dave Plossel...
In the meantime here is a white taken with those so called POS guns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL WSB.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	163727  
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #18
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by njspearo View Post
I feel like any one saying jbl is a good gun hasn't been Put in enough scenarios to realize they are shit. Period
What a moron, you get some non-diving, non-spearing mofo to proclaim that he knows it all. Way to go spearboard.

I hate to tell you all the millions of pounds of fish I've killed with JBL 450's and now the JBL Woody Mags and the JBL 38 woody mag that this year killed the world record 104lb. alligator gar. And I own most every gun out there.

Just a couple pics below, both were stoned on impact with a JBL Woody Mag. AJ 106, Warsaw 95. Shoot something before you run your head next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_0005.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	163729   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_3965.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	163730  

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Thanx Rok,I'm glad you said that.Retards and knowitalls have cluttered up SB.

FWIW,JBL does more for the sport than most other manufacturers in offering entry level to elite level guns and just about every conceivable accessory.

Glad so see support from folks as diverse as one of the premier custom gun builders to arguably one of the ballsiest rednecks on here.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Quote:
I feel like any one saying jbl is a good gun hasn't been Put in enough scenarios to realize they are shit. Period
Anyone making a comment like that is obviously the guy who goes and buys the cheapest model jbl and gets what he pays for (or any other brand for that matter). Not only are the woodys good but the extra heavy duty series are also a great gun. I have the XHD 38 and 53"
sawed off magnum. very strong guns and trigger mechs. More of you aught to take a second look at these models also.

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
hydroid

Well I made my decision and ordered the JBL Elite sawed-off Woody Mag. I'm sure there are better and worse guns and I really liked the Mako also.

The reson I went with the JBL is because I've been using that same model adaptation throughout my 40 yrs. of hunting and am used to swinging and aiming it. It's probably hard to teach an "old dog new tricks".

I think I got a fair deal on it with the "cyber Monday" sale going on and all.

Thanks for welcoming me to SB and also for your valued opinions and recomendations.
Bo
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #22
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Congratulations, hydroid! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what it can do. I've already dreamed up a few mods to make my JBL "Mo' better!". I just need to find the time to do the tweeks.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
AndrewK

I think the problem with JBL's is that most divers looking to get into spearing automatically look to the cheapest entry level option to the sport, hence they find the JBL Carbine series as an example. This is the cheapest gun they make and in all honesty, it feels like junk. The shop I worked at carried only JBL guns and had a bunch of those carbine and mini carbine guns. They look and feel like a toy.

Next step up, the explorer series. I had one of these for a hole gun in NJ. Granted, its not the ideal choice but for up close shots into wrecks and for a gun I didnt care about beating up, it was good. Long range shots forget it with the heavy shaft.

Next up, 38 special is another one alot of new divers are attracted to. Its not a bad gun to start out with.... albeit a little heavy and unwieldy, it kills fish.

I havent had any firsthand experience with any of the bigger or newer JBLs past the ones above. I always tell friends to avoid the cheap ones but if they are dead set on a JBL spend the extra cash on a newer model that has better parts and a lighter shaft for a better experience diving.....

My general experience with the cheap low end JBLs was never good. I shot fish but once I moved onto higher end and euro guns I had better satisfaction and killed more fish.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
speargunhunter
favorite speargun? Wong.

Congrats hydroid. Im sure the gun will do you good. And later be sure
to buy yourself a Wong!

For me there's only One Choice...."WONG".

www.wongguns.com
speargunhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #25
prop

i had a jbl 38 special xhd for years ,compact and packed a punch with 3 bands.i lost it in the surf coming in one day,so i went to an a.b. biller.also a good gun ,i have also used euro guns.i got a jbl elite sawed off woody 53" this year and it`s the best gun i ever had.it has a new trigger mechinism and sharkfin tabs on the shaft.the mech can accept other shafts as well.with an added third band it has plenty of power.it has a flopper tip and the point is threaded so you can add a drop off head.i shot a dozen or more stripers this year and everyone ended up on the line , the spear went clean thru.i spend the winters in mexico and currently us it down there as well.no problem punching thru big amberjack and pargo.at about $270 you can`t go wrong.
prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #26
SteveK

well said akapp. My first gun was a woody sawed off magnum, never had a problem. Most of us have moved on to bigger and better things but JBL still puts a lot of quality product out. Point being is that you can buy cheap junk that is produced by pretty much anybody. Much the same goes for regs, bc's, fins, masks, etc. Caveat emptor.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #27
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I started with a voit swim master when I was a kid. I completely agree that voit/jbl guns have killed more fish 10x over any other gun in the US. Are they cheap, yepper, but they work and a good indian can take most any fish out there with one.

A friend of mine just gave me a 450 XHD fully rigged and like new. They bought in at a garage sale for 5 bucks and thought I could use it for something. Rok, any chance we can tie about 20 crabtrap bouys to this thing and kill us one of them yeller fins?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #28
Louis Rossignol
HELL DIVERS

Quote:
Rok, any chance we can tie about 20 crabtrap bouys to this thing and kill us one of them yeller fins?
Hehe, it will do it. But I got something more efficient that crab trap buoys. I got JBL buoys...

Hydroid, you will love that gun, I use the closed muzzle versions, and I can tell you the trigger is in-destructible. Guy told me it's rated to hold over 1500 pounds of pressure. The first time I shot Guys open muzzle, I whacked a big Amberjack, with 4 bands on the gun and the gun butt almost took my head off. Seriously, I thought I was going to die, the regulator got knocked out of my mouth and when I put it back in I was still sucking water. Somehow I made it back up from 130', fixed my reg and went back and retrieved Guy's gun.

Hey, we went to Washington with the FRA to fight for everyone's fishing rights, you know who showed up?

Guy Skinner - JBL
Dano Krahling - Mako

How many 100 lb. fish have you landed with a JBL, 38 special?

Sorry for all the pics, they were all in the same folder named Gars 09'. I didn't include the 70 and 80 pounders I killed that year. This is pics of 2 of them a 101 and a 99.8.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00046.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	163927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8477 (Large).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	163929   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2046.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	163932  
Attached Images

DISCLAIMER: "My spearfishing is entirely legal in the geographic area within which I dive. If you don't like my pictures, posts or website then don't look. I will NOT waste any more bandwidth on this board (or my valuable drinking time) to argue with you ass clowns about it".

http://www.TheRokZone.com/

http://www.HellDivers.org/

Last edited by Louis Rossignol; 11-29-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Louis Rossignol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
AndrewK

Rok wheres the video of you shooting one of them? Shit was impressive.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

FAIL ....

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php...ight=JBL+Sucks

Quote:
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote