Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
kon

Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

Does anyone have experience with the 49 Strand Stainless Steel Cable Black Vinyl Coated from catchalltackle.com? Link here.

I'm considering trying the 1.2mm 275lb for reef and either the 1.4mm 400lb or 1.6mm 480lb for bluewater including tuna. All are pretty thin for their breaking test strength and feel more like mono than cable so I'm wondering if they'll hold up.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
FreediveCA

Re: Coated cable from catchalltackle.com

That looks quite interesting. I'd be curious how it performs. My only concern would be, can I cut the line in a sticky situation? But that's my concern whenever there is a mention of use of cable. $50 for 500' and 100 crimps is not bad though.
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
kon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
That looks quite interesting. I'd be curious how it performs. My only concern would be, can I cut the line in a sticky situation? But that's my concern whenever there is a mention of use of cable. $50 for 500' and 100 crimps is not bad though.
Yep very reasonable pricing. I can cut through the 275lb and 400lb without too much effort with the cutters I use. The 480lb pound is noticeably harder. I imagine it'll be difficult with a knife.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
xrispearo
you cant see mee

That stuff looks good, thin and strong. I use cable on my hole guns which use one wrap. I never have to replace the shooting line. Sometimes the cable unwraps and pokes your hand, so I'll have to give this coated cable a try
Old 03-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
popgun pete

Here is a whole bunch of coated cables.
http://www.sandinmanufacturing.com/coated-cable.asp

Cutters would be essential equipment.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
spearq8

Yeah I bought a bunch of different diameters of that cable. I think it is the best stuff around ... will be giving it a try.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #7
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Used the 1.2 on my Denton 120 and 1.4 on my Albacore 130 in Costa Rica. Crimped it over the coating which is not like a normal cable coating, its somewhat imbedded in the strands. Shot cubera, wahoo, almaco jacks and had no issues. Bends better than 7 strand around the muzzle and line release. Coating has not even nicked the slightest which happens almost instantly with regular coated cable.

I've used it at home a few times shooting quite a few fish since and have not had any issues whatsoever. Good stuff.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
kon

Awesome thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try the 400lb for general bw and the 480lb when specifically targeting tuna.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:14 AM   #9
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
Used the 1.2 on my Denton 120 and 1.4 on my Albacore 130 in Costa Rica. Crimped it over the coating which is not like a normal cable coating, its somewhat imbedded in the strands. Shot cubera, wahoo, almaco jacks and had no issues. Bends better than 7 strand around the muzzle and line release. Coating has not even nicked the slightest which happens almost instantly with regular coated cable.

I've used it at home a few times shooting quite a few fish since and have not had any issues whatsoever. Good stuff.
Nice to have some feedback on that. The stuff looks really supple and I like the idea of crimping directly on rather than peeling off the sleeve. When I called them up they mentioned that the proper way to crimp is directly over. I don't think you need anything more than 400lb for tuna ... IF... and that is a big IF ... the line actually can hold up to 400lb of force. This needs to be tested of course. Mono has a nice thing about it and that is that it is quite stretchy ... almost works like a stiff bungee !!! If you have a big tuna fighting hard at the end of your shooting line you can definitely feel the line stretch out. Also after the big fight ... your line becomes nice and straight again ... but it can also readjustment of the bungee stretch on your line release again.

Need to put those cables in the pool and test how they affect shaft flight!
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I was a little skeptical of the crimping over the sheath as anyone would be, but I was going to Costa Rica the next day and had never tested it. I did double crimp for that reason.

But... we rigged it at Harry's house and crimped a 4" loop over the sheath to test it. We put the loop over Harry's trucks hitch ball and wrapped it around a 2" x 4". Harry and I both put our foot up on the bumper and pulled both ends of the board as hard as we could 2 or 3 times putting eye popping pressure on that crimp and it didn't even slide. That was the 1.2mm.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
kon

I double crimped with this cable too just in case. I'm going to pool test my new Albacore 130 with Majd's handle mod in the next few days. I'll try hunt shafts with both the 400lb and 480lb line, and with and without a cable slip tip to see how they perform.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Wait, did you already have the product when you made this thread? Otherwise that is some fast shipping!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
I double crimped with this cable too just in case. I'm going to pool test my new Albacore 130 with Majd's handle mod in the next few days. I'll try hunt shafts with both the 400lb and 480lb line, and with and without a cable slip tip to see how they perform.
Use two crimps always with cable. 400lb is more than enough....Do a test and try a break it. Make a video so we all can laugh
Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
kon

Yep I already had all 3. I wasn't sure about it at first considering how thin it felt. Sounds like it's solid though and very reasonably priced at that.

Harry yes I'm on the fence about the 480lb but it feels like 300lb mono so I can't imagine it'll affect shaft performance too much. But then again what do I know I'll pool test both the 400lb and 480lb for kicks.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #15
popgun pete

Now only need a pair of these, unless you want to try the ones from China. Or something smaller (added photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FELCO-C7-ex.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	231805   Click image for larger version

Name:	TPWireCableSheer.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	231806  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-10-2017 at 07:19 PM.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote