Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
bigdaddy-bang

FWC Lobster survey??

I got a email to do a survey on spiny lobsters, just wondering if anyone else got it and their thoughts. One of the questions was if i would support a $2.00 increase for a lobster stamp.
bigdaddy-bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Nikki
Good Girl Gone Wong - LOL

Re: FWC Lobster survey??

I got one too.........
I'd support an increase in the stamp - heck - it's only $2 now - cheap in compared to all our other costs..........especially if it'll support continued support of the fisheries and such.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
No Misses

I would gladly pay the extra if that means that the Mini-Season Bug inspectors were better trained. I have no problem being stopped by FWC to check my catch. I have gotten stopped the last 4 years in a row, during mini-season. Since it is my boat, I personally re-measure all bugs before they go in the cooler (my boat -my rules). It still amazes me when a rookie picks up a seriously large bug and still needs to try and press the guage over a 5 inch carapace. I have been checked by others that have the experience to look at the bugs and just measure the ones that are close. Don't get me wrong. I respect what the FWC does and have never had a negative incident. But, the rookie this year was a real winner. He had absolutley no personality. I think he was pissed that he had to be out in the sun and did not have anybody to arrest.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Luke
hammerhead911

I'd pay, if I knew where the extra money was going to go towards.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
bigdaddy-bang

Yes, two bucks would be a good invest if it when to studies, and some more experienced marine patrolers. Stopped the first day and within a few minutes they knew we had are sh@t together and although they ask if we had licenses when we went to get them they said don't bother have a good day. Day two we were run down by Miami Vise, these guys did everything but a full body search and then ask to take pictures of are catch. What a waste of time, we were just trying to get are last dives in and run in.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
DiveGal
Today's the day!

We were stopped on the way into Ft. Pierce. The one officer asked us what eggs look like. We explained it and showed the difference between the males and females. Then Bobby went into explaining what the tar patch is. Even though we obviously were all diving, they only checked one licence since we only had 11 bugs. I was not impress...

If they put it to training their officers, heck, I'd give $5 more!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz

I too wanna know where the $ would go... itd havta be earmarked in advance, with no dumb-ass yahoos trying to divert funds for Anemone research or some other crap... we didnt get stopped either day, went right past 3 boats too... woulda loved to have them try and measure my 8-lber!!!! "Uhhhh, yeah, officer... its legal. No sir, I didnt scrape it... look, its a male. How do I know??" OY
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Robert D.
Marisa D Fishing Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Misses
I would gladly pay the extra if that means that the Mini-Season Bug inspectors were better trained. I have no problem being stopped by FWC to check my catch. I have gotten stopped the last 4 years in a row, during mini-season. Since it is my boat, I personally re-measure all bugs before they go in the cooler (my boat -my rules). It still amazes me when a rookie picks up a seriously large bug and still needs to try and press the guage over a 5 inch carapace. I have been checked by others that have the experience to look at the bugs and just measure the ones that are close. Don't get me wrong. I respect what the FWC does and have never had a negative incident. But, the rookie this year was a real winner. He had absolutley no personality. I think he was pissed that he had to be out in the sun and did not have anybody to arrest.
AMEN to that! We have had Mahi Mahi on board and the FWC had no clue what the fish was. I have had to explain the regs to many FWC officers while being checked.
Robert D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Nikki
Good Girl Gone Wong - LOL

The survey said that the additional license fee would go towards enforcement of limits and for research associated with lobster fisheries.............

THEN, there was a second question that asked about a special mini-season tag that would be used to enforce the 6 pp limit in Monroe County.......that would be used to mark lobsters taken....and that most would pay (except for seniors and kids) for it. Voted that one down - didn't say where funds would be going to.........
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D.
AMEN to that! We have had Mahi Mahi on board and the FWC had no clue what the fish was. I have had to explain the regs to many FWC officers while being checked.
Ha, Nice.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Grin

I am not for any increases. Even a pitiful $2. You know damn well it will not make a difference in anything. And it's highly likely it will not go toward anything to do with recreational anything. If it goes to the FRA then I am for it! That is the only way it would change anything even a little. You are crazy thinking giving your gov extra $$$ will do anything. They will tell you it goes towards protecting your recreational activities. Reality is, it will pay to have a parking space repaved somewhere in Talahassee.
Grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
keezdiver
Resident Fish Biologist

Send a message via AIM to keezdiver

WEEELLLLL....i just chatted with one of the top guys in the lobster research department at the FWC. he supervises the person who is responsible for the FWC Lobster surveys you guys received.

some facts:

the average number of lobster stamps sold over the past few years is around 140,000

how that $2 is spent - 1/3 towards the licence themselves, 1/3 towards law enforcement, and 1/3 toward research.
so basically a little over $90K per year is allocated towards law enforcement or research when it comes to lobster. keeping one officer on the water for a year...probably costs well over $100K. so it really isn't that much.

there seems to be an overwhelming acceptance for increased lobster tag fees. however the way in which that gets initiated takes years. and on top of that, its soemthing that has to be voted on. raising license fees is viewed (politically anyway) as a "tax increase"...so you have to tread lightly.

now for some more personal views:

when it comes to the LE guys not knowing important things about what they are enforcing. it boils down to "local knowledge". particularly for things like mini-season, they bring officers from all over the state to help enforce laws in high traffic areas like the keys. so basically guys that have spent years enforcing how many squirrels, raccoons and deer you can shoot, or how close to a road you can have your deer blind....are all of a sudden thrown on a boat with a list of rules.
now you would think they would give them the "run down" on what the specifics of the rules are, and what exactly "egg bearing" looks like, or what "carapice length" actually means. but....as we all know...it's not a perfect world, maybe they forgot, maybe they slept through the training, maybe they were in such a hurry they couldn't get trained.

if anyone has some specific questions pertaining to lobster, the survey or whatever....shot me a message. i may be able answer them, or direct you to someone who can.
Accepting donations of beer, food, gas or numbers...for a ride
I'm a car fanatic...my web page with pics
keezdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
D Wreck
Carpe Cerevisi

I have been checked every year coming in from mini season (except for this year?) and its always the same, a couple of green FWC officers pissed because they had to leave their a/c truck or office. 2 years ago I had 1 question a slipper lobster, "sir that is a slipper lobster, no size limit or season"
Fwc-" I don't know about that he looks small, I better make a call ".
Last year I was told, after surfacing w/ my speargun and lobster gear, FWC-"what you doing spearing lobster?" "no sir, I know better than that" FWC- "You can't carry a speargun while lobstering, it's either spearing or lobstering not both", "uhhhh yes sir".

On the other hand, these guys are paid to do a job, and when the boss tells you to go down to SB for mini season, you go, but you may not like it. Just like any job.

It's like going to buy a car and you know more about the car than the salesman. Frustrating but what can you do?
D Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
bigdaddy-bang

OK I'll pay the 2 dollars but it has to go for new shorts, This guy looked like the dude on Reno 911