Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Kirk Killebrew

Re: Who's going for Snapper ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D. View Post
I will take the rough ocean...
Me too, gladly.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Kirk Killebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_diver View Post
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. The ear bones do lay down rings, just like a tree. You plot the # of rings versus the length to get a length at age key. Pretty simple actually. It can tell you the overall size and age structure of the sampled population.
What can they tell about a snapper that has 7/16" hole through his earbone ?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Killebrew View Post
What can they tell about a snapper that has 7/16" hole through his earbone ?
Well not everyone out there will be spearing (though most on this forum obviously will be). But even with us, the chance that EVERY fish that is shot (except those that are powerheaded) will have a shaft through the otolith (ear bone) is unlikely. And the likelyhood of BOTH otoliths being damaged is even less likely. Of course if people powerhead them and or brain them, well then oh well. Still, any data is better than no data at all...after all that is what everyone was arguing about to begin with, no data and the data that was around was flawed. Personally, if I was going I'd aim just below where the ear bones would be...try for the gill plate or something like that. But that's just me.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
G@tor B@it

Ok, REALLY dumb question here, but I just visited SAMFC website and MYFWC website and I couldnt find anywhere that it discusses the Red Snapper season... am I blind?

http://www.safmc.net/LinkClick.aspx?...8%3d&tabid=248

The above link is normally where I go and I see nothing about the open season there, nor on the preceeding page in the "Announcements" section.

I'm probably going to have to eat my words in a few minutes but this really gets old! I mean I'm not an old timer here (I'm 32) but I can remember when the regulations were the regulations. Like with Lobster... it opens in August, and you're safe til March. You dont have to go online before every trip to see if you can still catch them or not. Now if I'm going fishing Saturday I have to print out new regs Friday night! Seabass is finally open, NOPE, you blinked and now its closed. And if you dont literally look right before you go fishing an honest guy like me just trying to have a fun with my Dad gets a ticket. Then when you do go out of your way and try to find the regs, they're not there!!!

Ok, now someone post and tell me what an idiot I am because I'm missing something here!

Last edited by G@tor B@it; 09-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.
G@tor B@it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
filet&release
Daddy's home!!!

NEWS: Recreational and commercial red snapper will open for a limited time in Atlantic federal waters in September. Learn more about these opening at sero.noaa.nmfs.gov.

Online Survey
Carcass Drop-Off Location list

Red Snapper

Recreational Regulations for state and federal waters of the Atlantic

Atlantic Red Snapper

Season

Min. Size limit

Remarks

State waters

Open year-round

20"

Gear rules apply.

Visit the gear rules page for more.

Federal waters

NEW: Open Sept. 14-16, 2012 and Sept. 21-23, 2012

None

Bag limit: 1 fish per person/per day
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by G@tor B@it View Post
Ok, REALLY dumb question here, but I just visited SAMFC website and MYFWC website and I couldnt find anywhere that it discusses the Red Snapper season... am I blind?

http://www.safmc.net/LinkClick.aspx?...8%3d&tabid=248

The above link is normally where I go and I see nothing about the open season there, nor on the preceeding page in the "Announcements" section.

I'm probably going to have to eat my words in a few minutes but this really gets old! I mean I'm not an old timer here (I'm 32) but I can remember when the regulations were the regulations. Like with Lobster... it opens in August, and you're safe til March. You dont have to go online before every trip to see if you can still catch them or not. Now if I'm going fishing Saturday I have to print out new regs Friday night! Seabass is finally open, NOPE, you blinked and now its closed. And if you dont literally look right before you go fishing an honest guy like me just trying to have a fun with my Dad gets a ticket. Then when you do go out of your way and try to find the regs, they're not there!!!

Ok, now someone post and tell me what an idiot I am because I'm missing something here!
http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwat...antic-snapper/
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

FYI - FWC was out today in full swing for data collection. Was at Fernandina Municipal Ramp (North) and they had biologists dockside waiting to get samples, and a LEO. Of course, we were the only ones at the ramp (and we were doing shark research). Looked pretty gnarly offshore from the inlet...the sound was pretty choppy as well.

Also, FWC was surprised that the weekend didn't get rescheduled, but they thought that the possibility would exist for an after the fact weather date once all the data (or lack there of from a lack of trips) comes in. But that was just their own opinion.

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯(__.•´¯(__.•´¯(___.•´¯( __.•´¯(__.•´¯(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote