Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
walleyworld

Diving Palm Beach

Diving a wreck off Palm Beach on 12-30-07, vis was about 100' and seas were about 4-5'(took quite a few over the bow). Only did one dive but saw a nice hog swimming down the south along the side of the wreck. As I approached, the hog swam into the wreck and laid up against a beam..I sat still for a minute and then got a shot off,,,blam,,see a cloud of dust take off from the wreck and then line starts peeling off my reel..I follow the line and quickly dispatch this bad boy which is my biggest hog to date(25") As I am pulling this bad boy off my ice pick a 50+ pound AJ gets withing 1' of me. Hog in the bag and high fives under water between Paul and I.. Took a shot at a legal black but missed by an inch, and then a 30# black grouper swims by and high tails it south as I am reloading..Then a very large bull charged me and I swam into the wreck and waited. He left and I continued on. Saw a bunch of grovers in the 3-4# range, but left them alone since I knew I was being watched. My dive buddy was running out of air so we ascended and another bull did a couple of circles around me and then vanished(guess it was time to come up). As I was about 60 feet off the bottom, saw a 20+ pound cubera over a piece of wreck but wanted to ascend with paul since it was so rough on the surface. Definitely an exciting day as my wife got very sea sick and my buddy Taylor and his Girl Adrianna got separated from their dive flag and were picked up 60 minutes later by a passing boat(Thanks CHASIN TAIL...you guys rock!!)...Glad they were found and ok..Paul and I were watching the bouy for an hour and then knew something was wrong. Put a call out on the radio with our location and stated we had two divers overdue, but that we were watching their flag. Immediately a boat hailed us on the radio and notified us they were picking them up out of the water a mile north of us. The two divers had several bull sharks circling them on the wreck that Paul and I had just dove which contributed to them getting away from the buoy..Still, as always, an exciting day on the ocean and can't wait to get back....happy new year to all!!

Last edited by walleyworld; 01-02-2008 at 04:57 PM.
walleyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
chronos27

Re: Diving Palm Beach

Very nice hog....not sure about the Mich Ultra Nice write up on your trip, good read

Last edited by chronos27; 01-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.
chronos27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Bulit7

Good story. Never a dull day underwate. Glad all turned out well.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
PrincessSlaya!
Just Simply Laura

Very nice! WTG.....

A champion is someone who gets up, even when he can't.

I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok. They know me here.

http://www.koahspearguns.com/
PrincessSlaya! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
StabbinBoy
A good view on life

Send a message via AIM to StabbinBoy

Nice hog.

About getting seperated - I just changed from a 3' sausage to a 6 footer. Once the seas get over 3 foot it's damn tuff for the boat to spot ya in current.
StabbinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Diving Palm Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyworld View Post
Definitely an exciting day as my wife got very sea sick and my buddy Taylor and his Girl Adrianna got separated from their dive flag and were picked up 60 minutes later by a passing boat(Thanks CHASIN TAIL...you guys rock!!)...Glad they were found and ok..Paul and I were watching the bouy for an hour and then knew something was wrong. Put a call out on the radio with our location and stated we had two divers overdue, but that we were watching their flag. Immediately a boat hailed us on the radio and notified us they were picking them up out of the water a mile north of us. The two divers had several bull sharks circling them on the wreck that Paul and I had just dove which contributed to them getting away from the buoy..Still, as always, an exciting day on the ocean and can't wait to get back....happy new year to all!!
Nice report................grand hogfish there.

Temporary separations between boats and divers are pretty common here off Palm Beach County. Glad it worked out OK.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
walleyworld

Thanx and good ideas, my one buddy took his safety sausage off prior to entering the water without my knowledge,,a six foot safety sausage is an excellent idea and i will have to look into that...Can't wait for the seas to lay down again...
walleyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
chronos27

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyworld View Post
Thanx and good ideas, my one buddy took his safety sausage off prior to entering the water without my knowledge,,a six foot safety sausage is an excellent idea and i will have to look into that...Can't wait for the seas to lay down again...
You might want to check out the Zeagle lift tube/safety sausage. Just started carrying one of those. You can use it to float your fish and use it at the surface. Has an oral inflator or you can use your octo. They are $50, but well worth it. (credit to mjphawk)
chronos27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Rinaldo
Extreme Freediver

Send a message via AIM to Rinaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos27 View Post
Very nice hog....not sure about the Mich Ultra Nice write up on your trip, good read
Don't knock the Mich. Some of us gotta drink regardless of our diets and that beer sure works to keep the alcohol flowing through our Livers.
nice fish !!!
Rinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote