Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Plant exchange/ trade / share

This is off topic but geo specific sp I didn't know where to post

I am starting a little garden and fruit grove and I figured other folks might have some great gardens

This is a thread to share knowledge, tips, trade clippings and cuttings, and get rid of extra fruit if it is littering the yard

I have a Myers lemon and a Lychee as well as a few coconuts. I just got a muberry and a Langon. Too hot for th garden right now. But I'll be putting in two full beds again this year

I will hopefully finally get a little chill this year and the lychee will fully fruit.

Anyone have a nice starfruit they want to give me a cutting off of. Or an avocado?

Happy to trade

Anyone have any tips on fruit trees in zone 10b?

Whatcha got in your yard?
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Mr.Friday

Re: Plant exchange/ trade / share

I work at a palm nursery but we also have some fruit trees. We do have a carambola and avocados. In my yard I have a mulberry, a nice mango tree, and a key lime tree. I am trying to get some seedlings started from my key lime now. Pm me and let me know what all you have and we can talk trades.
Mr.Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

I grow a ton of stuff down here in the keys.
~Fruit
Avocado
Mango (Hayden, Kerry)
Spanish line
Blueberry
Strawberry
Tomato
Papaya
-
~Flowers
Gardenias
Hibiscus
Orchids
Knock out roses

That's just off the top of my head.
What are you looking to do? Just a little past time?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Yeah. I have always enjoyed gardening and growing things and in this day and age of gene manipulation and pesticide and other chemicals, the more of my own food I grow or harvest, the better ill be

I have only a potted garden at my apt but my dads house in Kendall is coming along.

Really just figuring it out as I go. I raised a lot of the trees at my apt and then plant them once they get big and start to fruit.

As far as what in looking for, any free clippings and any free knowledge. Any one tried anything and failed. Some trees that are extremely prolific fruiters? Anyone try dragon fruit?
Haha I just really figured this was a nice big community and I could learn a bit
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Punishment

Check out Tropicalfruitforum.com a lot of locals in there and tons of info. I just got into it have mangos, jackfruit, lychee, Canistel,Atemoya and others. I can hook you up with a jackfruit tree If you want. Let me know.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Very cool looking forum there. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Dam! Kinda shocked this many guys are into this. I run/own a Garden Center up here in St Simons and definitely thought I was the only one on here that gave a shit about plants honestly

LB - I have had Dragon fruit here before and they did quite well actually. We have to protect them from the freeze, if we get one, but other than that they are cool as hell to watch bloom. Hell that goes for Cereus.......

Keyskiller - Are you growing professionally or just hobbist? FYI, Blueberries just became GA's number one fruit crop, kinda weird.......

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
rexgear
Jose Debasa

I got two fully grown palm trees in my front yard that i can trade =) pics coming soon

rexgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Awesome exhale. Thanks. Gonna try to find one. They seem really pretty and if I can find a tasty variety it will be nice
Old 09-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Waiting2Exhale
.....born upon the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
Awesome exhale. Thanks. Gonna try to find one. They seem really pretty and if I can find a tasty variety it will be nice
The one we had was a type of Hylocereus, of nicaraguan origin I believe. I did a google search but couldnt find it. Who knows that thing could have been crossed so many times there's no tellin. The flesh was strawberry-watermelon colored and pretty seedy if I can recall.

Oh and talk about STINK!!!!! What till that thing blooms, you can smell it from the road All sorts of bugs you've never seen will come out of the woodwork to get some of that hot cereus action.

Lucky Jack - .......The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seaboat: weatherly, stiff and fast, very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.
Waiting2Exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2Exhale View Post
Dam! Kinda shocked this many guys are into this. I run/own a Garden Center up here in St Simons and definitely thought I was the only one on here that gave a shit about plants honestly

LB - I have had Dragon fruit here before and they did quite well actually. We have to protect them from the freeze, if we get one, but other than that they are cool as hell to watch bloom. Hell that goes for Cereus.......

Keyskiller - Are you growing professionally or just hobbist? FYI, Blueberries just became GA's number one fruit crop, kinda weird.......
Just for pleasure.

Wife and I will be relocating up to Ameila Island in a few years and will stop by your garden center. Going be hard moving from a 10 zone to a 8.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Md Spear
Senior Crabby Ole Fart

[quote=Waiting2Exhale;1724597]Dam! Kinda shocked this many guys are into this. I run/own a Garden Center up here in St Simons and definitely thought I was the only one on here that gave a shit about plants honestly

And I have 10,000 trees for sale at my tree farm. www.pryors.com

when u think about , outdoor work is hard and only for those who want to mix it up in the elements....so underwater is right up our alley
Old 09-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

I got a nice couple cuttings today. An acerola, Barbados cherry, and a fig. I believe the fig is a brown turkey. Gonna get me moved into a few three or five gallon pots as soon as they get settled.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
I got a nice couple cuttings today. An acerola, Barbados cherry, and a fig. I believe the fig is a brown turkey. Gonna get me moved into a few three or five gallon pots as soon as they get settled.
I'm currently enjoying the harvest of my Turkish brown fig tree. Im guessing I am at the northern most edge if their range but it does well and after 8 years it's producing tons of figs. I also have a Sicilian fig which is suppose to handle the cold better, it has about 100 figs and they are just beginning to be harvested. My Turkish has given me between 30 and 60 every other day for at least the past two weeks and still has more coming. Your should do well in Florida but it may take a couple of years before you get a decent harvest
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
I'm currently enjoying the harvest of my Turkish brown fig tree. Im guessing I am at the northern most edge if their range but it does well and after 8 years it's producing tons of figs. I also have a Sicilian fig which is suppose to handle the cold better, it has about 100 figs and they are just beginning to be harvested. My Turkish has given me between 30 and 60 every other day for at least the past two weeks and still has more coming. Your should do well in Florida but it may take a couple of years before you get a decent harvest
Awesome. Very good to know.

That is another fun thing about this hobby. Makes for patience and looking forward to something.