Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
Mike@831

Wetsuit reccomendations

on the hunt for a new wetsuit and would be very interested in any recommendations/advice you guys might have. Ive been using a 5mm Mako but its just a bit to cold for Carmel/Big Sur. I was looking into either a 7mm sea sniper or Riffe... thoughts? Also are some companies more slim fitting than others? I'm 6'1 155lbs, thanks!
Mike@831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
LookPointShoot

Re: Wetsuit reccomendations

Definitely some companies have slimmer fitting suits than others. In my experience, no two companies' suits fit the exact same, actually.

Several people I know and trust have recently purchased Deep Thought suits and say they are 100% worth the money and then some. I don't know anyone who bought one of their suits and went elsewhere for their next one.

I buy off the rack because I'm a cheapskate and I don't dive much anymore. Plus, I like to support my friends' shops (Spearamerica -- both locations are fantastic). If you want the best, go custom. If you want a perfectly functional, reasonably well-fitting suit off the rack, go to a nearby dive shop (I suggest Red Triangle -- another awesome shop) and try on as many as you can stand to try.

I wouldn't just buy a suit off the rack based on recs from people on the internet -- you need to try a suit on if it's not being custom fit for you. I've tried a few suits that people said would suit my body type but ended up being straight up disasters when I put them on. Plus, everyone has their own preferences and priorities. Some guys want a suit that's more stretchy and comfortable, others want one that's more durable. Some guys want a knife pocket on the thigh and that's important to them. Some guys need a suit that's less prone to compressing. So I would suggest buying the suit that's right for YOU which means either custom ordering one, or trying on a bunch of suits at a shop with someone knowledgeable to guide you through.
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
rob102

Check the prices for off the rack suits. Compare those prices to custom suits and decide if you want custom or not.

Custom I’d recommend polosub forza tre, but I’ve never tried any other custom.

Off the rack, yazbeck is warm and fits slender builds.
rob102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
norcalsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob102 View Post

2nd the Yazbeck, love mine. I like mine lined which Yazbeck does. Super soft, stretchy and great quality.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
HEX
Hector F.

My next suit will be custom. With that said I have a size Large all black Pathos Thira for sale that runs me a bit small due to some killer Hazy IPA's. It is in pretty good condition never pissed in PM if interested.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #6
norcalsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
My next suit will be custom. With that said I have a size Large all black Pathos Thira for sale that runs me a bit small due to some killer Hazy IPA's. It is in pretty good condition never pissed in PM if interested.
Was thinking about this route next time around. Which company you going with?
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
HEX
Hector F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsurfer View Post
Was thinking about this route next time around. Which company you going with?
Like LookPointShoot suggested, i'll be getting it done down the street at Deep Thought here in Oxnard.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Mike@831

Thanks everyone, Im definitely gonna check out polosub and yazbeck

Quote:
Custom I’d recommend polosub forza tre, but I’ve never tried any other custom
Do you know how well these hold up around rocks? I read a lot of good stuff about them, but I do a lot of shore diving/hole hunting and dont want to destroy one
Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

My bluetuna suit is by far the most comfy 5mm I’ve owned. The price point is great. Need the 7mm next for winter diving after my spearamerica (tough, but a little less flexy/comfy) finally dies out.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 AM   #10
rob102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@831 View Post
Thanks everyone, Im definitely gonna check out polosub and yazbeck

Do you know how well these hold up around rocks? I read a lot of good stuff about them, but I do a lot of shore diving/hole hunting and dont want to destroy one
All I have used for the last 6 years is Polosub Forza Tre smooth skin with custom paint. I’m up in NorCal spearfishing and abalone/scallop diving. It’s always rocky and lately full of urchin. I kayak about 5 miles on a typical dive day and spend about 6-8 hours in the suit. I’m often wedging myself into caves and just being about as rough on a suit as anyone I’ve ever known.

The Forza Tre is basically a 5mil super stretchy suit covered with a layer of Lycra or whatever material they use with a 2mil more durable neoprene on top of that. It make for a durable but comfortable suit. The exterior, as you would imagine gets nicked, scraped, cut and the paint fades. With the exception of the urchin spines, nothing gets past the Lycra. A suit lasts me two years easy, but I buy a new one every year and keep the older suits to rotate in. I try not to piss in my suit, but if I do I wash it and then hang it to dry for a day; this is when I rotate in an older suit.

If I were to use just one suit as hard as I do now, I would expect it to last three years. Honestly though, I like new neoprene and since a custom polosub cost about the same as a Yazbeck, Riffe or Omer I just order a new one every year.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
Mike@831

Quote:
Check the prices for off the rack suits. Compare those prices to custom suits and decide if you want custom or not.

Custom I’d recommend polosub forza tre, but I’ve never tried any other custom.

Quote:
All I have used for the last 6 years is Polosub Forza Tre smooth skin with custom paint. I’m up in NorCal spearfishing and abalone/scallop diving. It’s always rocky and lately full of urchin. I kayak about 5 miles on a typical dive day and spend about 6-8 hours in the suit. I’m often wedging myself into caves and just being about as rough on a suit as anyone I’ve ever known.

The Forza Tre is basically a 5mil super stretchy suit covered with a layer of Lycra or whatever material they use with a 2mil more durable neoprene on top of that. It make for a durable but comfortable suit. The exterior, as you would imagine gets nicked, scraped, cut and the paint fades. With the exception of the urchin spines, nothing gets past the Lycra. A suit lasts me two years easy, but I buy a new one every year and keep the older suits to rotate in. I try not to piss in my suit, but if I do I wash it and then hang it to dry for a day; this is when I rotate in an older suit.

If I were to use just one suit as hard as I do now, I would expect it to last three years. Honestly though, I like new neoprene and since a custom polosub cost about the same as a Yazbeck, Riffe or Omer I just order a new one every year.
Thanks for all the great advice Rob, Im definitely gonna look into the Forza tre
Old 11-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #12
Daniel_reyessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEX View Post
Like LookPointShoot suggested, i'll be getting it done down the street at Deep Thought here in Oxnard.
You’ve NEVER pissed in your wetsuit?! Yeaaaah riiiight!
Daniel_reyessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
rob102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_reyessd View Post
You’ve NEVER pissed in your wetsuit?! Yeaaaah riiiight!
I didn’t say that, I said I try not to piss in my wetsuit. I almost always get on the kayak, remove my weight belt, pull up my jacket, pull down my high waist pants and piss off the side.

I don’t eat or drink on the water so I don’t usually have to piss more than once and I’d rather swim back to the kayak than have piss in my suit.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #14
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Think he was talking shit to Hex.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #15
Shorediver

I used a 5/7mm wetsuit when diving in California and it worked great. Pick the brand you like best.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote