Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

View Poll Results: How deep do you actually spearfish?
<120' 209 71.58%
120'-200' on air or nitrox 69 23.63%
120'-200' on He mix 6 2.05%
200'+ on air or nitrox 10 3.42%
200'+ on He mix 12 4.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #46
dkfreedive
Daniel Koval

Re: Poll:How deep do you actually spearfish?

Lol I believe you guys would enjoy Spearfishing while freediving more than doing it on tanks and yes I know that is my own opinion. Now I lived off being a commericial spear fisherman freediving in Hawaii for two years and was living out of van trying to get my business off the ground I managed. If you can help shed some light as I have never speared fish on scuba and not as a tech diver however I did go to a marine diving school so I am a little familiar. What is the thrill about shooting fish on tanks 200ft down when the fish have never seen A diver before and since your so noisy down there the fish aren't scared of you either and you shoot them in the head?. Now I am not trying to be a D*** but seriously what's it all about. I do have huge respects for tech divers and they have helped me out quite a few times.

Last edited by dkfreedive; 04-23-2015 at 01:10 AM.
dkfreedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #47
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

What's the thrill of getting on a boat with a bunch of lubed up and shaved metrosexual men wearing speedos,helping each other squeeze in and out of tight rubber suits and then using chum,flashers and 1000 dollars spearguns to shoot similarly stupid fish you have snuck up on wearing camo and making no noise?

a lot of info is conveyed in how one states a question....
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #48
dkfreedive
Daniel Koval

Lol...lots of misconceptions here. So you don't wear a wetsuit. Obviously by your profile pic you do and it's a scuba suit I bet your buddy zips you up in the back lol jk. Freediving suits have no zippers and I don't think I have ever asked another person to help me put on my suit. And if you haven't tried a freediving suit on I am sorry for you its about a 100 times more comfortable/warmer than the suit your wearing in your profile pic. A 3mm suits keeps me as warm as like a 7mm scuba suit and it's a whole lot flexible. I don't use chum to shoot fish on the bottom, flashers and chum are for bluewater/pelagics I wear mostly a black suit camo is also a misconception lol I shoot just as many fish with a camo suit as I do a black suit and I don't think I have ever snuck up on a fish maybe a few times because the fish was that stupid but 99% of the time the fish swim to me because I am non obstructive in there environment. I guess the fish just like me lol
P: (808) 436-7046
E: daniel@deepfreediving.com
dkfreedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #49
waterpirate

Maybe you should try it before you start talking smack? If you are trolling for a fight, go troll somewhere else.
Eric
waterpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #50
AB-Bug

with a tank I typically dive 120-180' on regular air, AL80s. Without a tank i usually dive about 10 feet down and flounder to the surface to then return to the boat for my tank.
AB-Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #51
alemaozinho

Spearfishing while using Scuba is nowhere else allowed but here in the states and should be banned to level the playing field.
alemaozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #52
AB-Bug

Personally, I find that notion to be quite absurd. The playing field is refereed by federal and state regulation of seasons, size limits, commercial limits etc. Choosing to dive with a tank is a personal preference, just like using bait instead of flycasting and writing poetry. With that said, I am impressed by the ability to freedive and shoot fish. However, this is a thread in the Technical Diving sub-forum which is described as "tank diving in greater than 130ft" so this discussion has no place here.
AB-Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #53
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Blah,blah,blah either quit drunk posting or learn better English .The is the US,we set the norm not some elitist bunch of has been cowardly countries who have allowed their fisheries to be fished out.Our fisheries management as flawed as it is is heads above any other near third world pissbucket that bans scuba spearing.You and your ilk are nearly as destructive to our way of life as the losers in environmental groups who can't stand the thought of Nemo getting speared.Take a hike knucklehead.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #54
geofri
Ectothermic member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
What's the thrill of getting on a boat with a bunch of lubed up and shaved metrosexual men wearing speedos,helping each other squeeze in and out of tight rubber suits and then using chum,flashers and 1000 dollars spearguns to shoot similarly stupid fish you have snuck up on wearing camo and making no noise?

I love it.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #55
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post

LMAO
so TRUE
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #56
bmoore
NAUI Inst Cave Trimix

spearfished at 220 before...plan on a 213 trimix dive soon....
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #57
DABEER
Team Leagues Deep

Send a message via AIM to DABEER

I am a die hard freedive spearo where im stationed but it is ridiculous for freedive spearo's and scuba spearo's to fight with each other, we should be teaming up together to become unified in our fight against the people that look to ban all spearfishing honestly DK you are a typical FII junkie that thinks they are gods gift to freediving, news update your not! SPEARO'S are supposed to be a tight group stop trying to start shit with people who share the same love.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #58
Megabeast

I shoot fish on tanks bc I'm fat and out of shape.. I also don't give a damn about the "sport" of it. I'm harvesting.. that's the key word.. harvesting. Like a farmer picks corn, I spear fish. It's about gathering food. I have nothing to prove to anyone.. and I'm comfortable with that.

FWIW.. I spear between 70-150 on various nitrox mixes. I'd go deeper, but I can't get anyone to go with me who will dive that deep.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 AM   #59
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabeast View Post
I shoot fish on tanks bc I'm fat and out of shape.. I also don't give a damn about the "sport" of it. I'm harvesting.. that's the key word.. harvesting. Like a farmer picks corn, I spear fish. It's about gathering food. I have nothing to prove to anyone.. and I'm comfortable with that.

FWIW.. I spear between 70-150 on various nitrox mixes. I'd go deeper, but I can't get anyone to go with me who will dive that deep.

I am not sure if I can relate to your approach but I certainly appreciate your bold honesty.

Sent from the abyss
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #60
PigStikr
The Stalker

On my very first boat trip went to 145' on twin navy 40's w/one of those CO2 inflatable vests to get a black ab. Is that mixed gas diving? Scubapro jet fins, two piece dive suit with that duck-tail thingy that went under your butt and twist locked on the belly. Tried the CO2 thingy once but it was rusted froze. You could blow it up with the tube tho. Is that tech diving?
No real reason to go deeper than about 135 for fish in CA far as I can tell.
If you think this is wrong, please PM me the numbers and I'll check it out...