Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #1
rnln

differences between open cell and closed cell wetsuits.

I have a question on the differences between open cell wetsuit (freediving) and closed cell suit (Scuba). I like the open cell for it feature of keep your body's temperature better, so you can hold your breath better. I have been trying to overcome my problems, let's just say issues instead, but it's not easy. First of all, the lubricate smell. I hate it. I almost can say that I have allergic reaction to it. It gives me headache, and many times feel like throwing up. I have been trying several different kinds but still, nothing really is senseless. Second, I feel hard to breath. It sticks to tight our skin. On the scuba training, I had tried the closed cell suit. Yes, it was very tight too, but I didn't have that much of hard to breath problem. I can't tell for sure if it was true or my imagination on this, but at least, I don't have to spray the lubrication every time I want to put it on.

My question is if anyone freediving/spear-fishing (without tank) on both kinds of suit often enough to tell if there is much different between the 2 regarding holding breath?

Thanks.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
riff
><>

Re: differences between open cell and closed cell wetsuits.

All that matter is that you're comfortable.

You can train your brain not to panic over time and with experience.

But ultimately you wont be able to dive well if you're not comfortable.

I dive with open-cell and I usually just find some conditioner that is scentless or some smell i don't hate.
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
Gerifalte

I started with a scuba wetsuit (like most of us) and, although this is my subjective opinion, I felt it was more constrictive once you get to deeper waters and also during breathups. Essentially I found it harder to relax and lower my heart rate, so it affected my breathhold.

I have also experienced the symptoms you have and also get foliculitis from the friction with the wetsuit. As Riff mentioned, buy unscented conditioner (I use Vanicream Free & Clear), and use enough of it on your chest so sit doesn't restrict your breathing. Having enough conditioner also helps prevent foliculitis as it irritates less your skin.

Let us know how it goes!
Gerifalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
NaClAddict

I get it. I hate artificial odors.

Lube that open cell up good. Flood it before you start to dive. Make sure the material isn’t adhering to your skin, it should glide. I rub down the entire interior with lube. If you still have chest restriction, ditch it. You need a proper fit. Constrictive suits suck.

If the suit fits find odorless lube. It is out there. Spraying your lube cocktail of choice out of a spray bottle can cut down the amount needed. I think hibiclense (sp?) is still available, some guys like it for lube. I also recall tail n’ mane for horses was scent free.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Marco

If you can't breath with a freediving wetsuit, you need to get a larger size (or custom made if your body is "weird").

Yes, you need lube to put it on, but you put it on just once, so I don't see all this inconvenience. Just find a lube without scent or a smell that you like. You can use body milk, hair conditioner, shampoo (1:20 dilluted), talc powder, baby oil, etc.

https://www.target.com/p/unscented-h...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Lubriderm-Moi...19455404&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Hair-Conditio...ts_id=11057251

https://pantene.com/en-us/product/pu...BoCF1QQAvD_BwE

You can also wear it with no lube if you do it into the water.

I won't use a scuba wetsuit (or not open cell) again for spearfishing.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
SCreefhunter

For lube, try Bronners Tea Tree. it's antimicrobial which can help with rashes and irritation, and it smells fresh and organic (as in from nature, not the way it was farmed). I've used this soap as a lube for years and absolutely love it. It hasn't broken down the rubber at all.

I've tried open & closed and found that open is warmer for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
I have a question on the differences between open cell wetsuit (freediving) and closed cell suit (Scuba). I like the open cell for it feature of keep your body's temperature better, so you can hold your breath better. I have been trying to overcome my problems, let's just say issues instead, but it's not easy. First of all, the lubricate smell. I hate it. I almost can say that I have allergic reaction to it. It gives me headache, and many times feel like throwing up. I have been trying several different kinds but still, nothing really is senseless. Second, I feel hard to breath. It sticks to tight our skin. On the scuba training, I had tried the closed cell suit. Yes, it was very tight too, but I didn't have that much of hard to breath problem. I can't tell for sure if it was true or my imagination on this, but at least, I don't have to spray the lubrication every time I want to put it on.

My question is if anyone freediving/spear-fishing (without tank) on both kinds of suit often enough to tell if there is much different between the 2 regarding holding breath?

Thanks.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #7
NaClAddict

Bronners makes an olive oil based also. No data on how suits fare. I personally feel like when I have tried soaps I get folliculitis.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:00 AM   #8
rnln

riff,
"train your brain". I did, for a long time. Have been telling myself I don't hate this smell, I don't hate this smell. lol . but doesn't work. Every time seeing guys putting on their scuba suits, it looks so easy. Just take it out, slip it on and go... while I have to spray and feel horrible argg

Gerifalte, NaClAddict,
I am currently use mane 'n tail now. I got it from the suggestion in here in this board. When I first smelled it from the store, I was so happy that the scent was so low and not harsh at all. Went out there the first time using it in the morning, I smelled it a little bit. Second time, it's harder, then it keep getting worse (for me). I know it's me, not the conditioner since many people said it is scentless. I will try the "Vanicream Free & Clear" which Gerifalte is using and let see. It is funny that any kind of conditioner which I like when taking shower at home, soon I tried it as lub when go diving and have problem with it, I will begin to have problem with it even in the shower at home :cry:

The horrible feeling from the smell when I spray it on the suit is only happening when I spray it and at the beginning of the dive. After I am in the water for several mins, it gets better, but is enough for me to hate to go diving.
The hard to breath and hard to hold breath when I am in the water is not about the smell. It is the wetsuit, I think. During this summer, I ditch the suit, only put on a loose vest and short. It feel so good that I don't have to deal with the tight suit and the horrible smell of lub, but of course it is cold and can get very cold some times, even on the surface. I guess I should look for a larger size suit but shorter... why I am gaining so much fat all of a sudden lol

Marco,
I didn't know lotion works and doesn't damage the neoprene? I am putting lotion on my hand while reading your message. I can smell it just a tiny bit if I try hard to smell it (the scent much less than any hair conditioner I ever know) . I will try it on my next dive. Thanks.
You said your won't use scuba suit again, why? would you mind explaining?

SCreefhunter,
Does it smell like tea?
I have sea sick problem some times even floating on the surface on the bad day. When it happens, any smell can "kill" me, but the hot tea doesn't. So, does it smell like tea?

I have learned a lot today. Thanks everyone.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
Marco

Because a well sized freediving wetsuit is a pleasure to wear. It adheres to your body like a second skin and you don't feel it. It's also warmer if same thickness. Additionally, with scuba wetsuits, you get a rash behind your knees if you swim a lot.
I think that your problem is that your wetsuit is not of your size (or doesn't fit you well).
You haven't said what thickness are you wearing, but the thicker, the worse if it is not the right fit.
Consider ordering a custom wetsuit if your body shape is not "standard". I can speak for Elios Sub. They know their thing. Write them telling the temperature of the water, the depth, if you dive from the shore of from a boat, etc and let them choose for you.
Take your measurements according to their chart (and double check), and you will have the most comfortable wetsuit for at least 4-5 years. Is worth the money.

P. S: There's an over the counter seasick medicine called "Dramamine". Take a pill one hour before diving. It works!

Last edited by Marco; 08-11-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
riff
><>

Quote:
riff,
"train your brain". I did, for a long time. Have been telling myself I don't hate this smell, I don't hate this smell. lol . but doesn't work. Every time seeing guys putting on their scuba suits, it looks so easy. Just take it out, slip it on and go... while I have to spray and feel horrible argg
Sorry i didnt mean the smell - i feel like that's an easy fix/

i just meant being comfortable is most important underwater, then you can train your brain to stay down longer; etc
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #11
jbsrq

Agree with all the points stated around needing a proper fit with any wetsuit, especially an open cell freedive suit.

For suit lube I use baby shampoo in a spray bottle heavily diluted with water. Works very well and hasn't caused and issue with my suits.
jbsrq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
SCreefhunter

tea tree is a scent in and of itself. not sure a way to describe it, but it's a smell from nature, not manufactured (in this case). It is not a 'tea' per se.

Quote:
riff,

Gerifalte, NaClAddict,
I am currently use mane 'n tail now. I got it from the suggestion in here in this board. When I first smelled it from the store, I was so happy that the scent was so low and not harsh at all. Went out there the first time using it in the morning, I smelled it a little bit. Second time, it's harder, then it keep getting worse (for me). I know it's me, not the conditioner since many people said it is scentless. I will try the "Vanicream Free & Clear" which Gerifalte is using and let see. It is funny that any kind of conditioner which I like when taking shower at home, soon I tried it as lub when go diving and have problem with it, I will begin to have problem with it even in the shower at home :cry:

The horrible feeling from the smell when I spray it on the suit is only happening when I spray it and at the beginning of the dive. After I am in the water for several mins, it gets better, but is enough for me to hate to go diving.
The hard to breath and hard to hold breath when I am in the water is not about the smell. It is the wetsuit, I think. During this summer, I ditch the suit, only put on a loose vest and short. It feel so good that I don't have to deal with the tight suit and the horrible smell of lub, but of course it is cold and can get very cold some times, even on the surface. I guess I should look for a larger size suit but shorter... why I am gaining so much fat all of a sudden lol

Marco,
I didn't know lotion works and doesn't damage the neoprene? I am putting lotion on my hand while reading your message. I can smell it just a tiny bit if I try hard to smell it (the scent much less than any hair conditioner I ever know) . I will try it on my next dive. Thanks.
You said your won't use scuba suit again, why? would you mind explaining?

SCreefhunter,
Does it smell like tea?
I have sea sick problem some times even floating on the surface on the bad day. When it happens, any smell can "kill" me, but the hot tea doesn't. So, does it smell like tea?

I have learned a lot today. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #13
LookPointShoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCreefhunter View Post
tea tree is a scent in and of itself. not sure a way to describe it, but it's a smell from nature, not manufactured (in this case). It is not a 'tea' per se.
It smells like menthol
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
SCreefhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
It smells like menthol
Menthol is a minty smell. Tea Tree would more closely smell like eucalyptus.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #15
Marco

"Smells like fish and taste like chicken"... ����