Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
SJ_Spearo

Panga Below Deck Fuel Tank

I know there are some panga guys out there. Looking for some help installing a below deck fuel tank on my Imemsa Panga 22. Looking for about 25 gallons. I found a Moeller tank on amazon for $225 which seems about right, but before I start chopping up the deck, I want to see what you guys did. Right now I have 2x 12 gallon tanks in the rear of the boat under the raised stern area. This works fine, but I want to try to shift the weight of the boat forward to help with the ride a bit. Any help would be appreciated.
SJ_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
Sea_Bass

Re: Panga Below Deck Fuel Tank

Get trim tabs.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
SJ_Spearo

I know that's a possible solution. I just don't like drilling holes in my hull if it can be avoided.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:34 AM   #4
Sea_Bass

You are worried about drilling holes in the transom, but ok with removing and replacing the deck? Unless your new fuel tanks are always full, once the boat goes forward all the gas in the tank goes backwards to fill the empty space. You will see improvements, but very little. You will spend a lot of time and money for little gain in performance. You will free up some space though.

I have the fuel tank under the console below deck, batteries under the console above deck, heavy coffin box cooler in front of the console. With the cooler full of fish and ice, a big dude around JFJF's size sitting up front, all our diving gear thrown in the bow, and full tank of gas - I use my trim tabs all the time to help balance weight and increase riding performance. With all that weight in the middle and forward I still tab bow down under the majority of conditions.

There are only special conditions that I use no tabs, 95% of the time I use my tabs.

You would be foolish if you disregard this advice. The best upgrade you could do to a panga is get trim tabs. It turns the boat from a 15-20mph pounding into a 25-30mph cruise under multiple ocean conditions.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
Sea_Bass

If you do decide to pull up the floor, I would beef up the stringers, raise the deck a few inches, put in quality scuppers located correctly. This will turn the boat into a true self-bailing deck, a major improvement for Imemsas.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
Grunt

Send a message via AIM to Grunt

We don't have a panga, our boat is an Edgewater 175cc, trim tabs were one of the best investments we made. With the addition of the tabs, the boat now rides like it's 2-3 ft longer. When it's rough, I use the tabs to keep the bow down and we can still chug along on plane at slower speeds. It was a night and day difference and I wouldn't ever own a boat without functioning tabs. A little more expensive than your gas tank, but it's an easy one day install. Use 4200/5200, whatever your preference is, and you won't have to worry about water.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
florfreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_Bass View Post
If you do decide to pull up the floor, I would beef up the stringers, raise the deck a few inches, put in quality scuppers located correctly. This will turn the boat into a true self-bailing deck, a major improvement for Imemsas.
I could not agree more with Sea Bass.
We operate a 25ft Imemsa, with the "Roger" recommended 70Hp Yamaha.
A very nice combination in my opinion.
The fuel tank is up front in the nose (27 gals I think)
We increased the size of the scuppers when it was being built.
A deck raised a few inches would make a great improvement on the Imemsa.
Have not thought about trim tabs. We do adjust the motor angle quite often, depending on load and sea conditions.
Be safe out there.
Mike.
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
SJ_Spearo

Alright, seems like the trim tabs are the way to go. I may move the fuel tank just to add capacity and free up room, but sounds like the tabs are the way to go to help the ride. Did you notice any decrease in mpgs? Also, what top speed are you guys getting? I've got a 90hp etec with a 4 blade prop and I'm topping out at like 31mph at 4700rpm. I think i'm probably overpropped. I usually cruise around 25mph, but that's a slow ride offshore.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Grunt

Send a message via AIM to Grunt

I don't have any means of measuring fuel to an exact. Our boat has a 42 or 47 gallon tank (can't remember) and I know that a day fishing is about 1/2 tank. Figure 15-20 mile run out, all day trolling, and a 20-25 mile run in. I don't know if the tabs had any significant impact on fuel economy because it was an immediate upgrade we did on the boat once we purchased it. Even if it did negatively impact economy, I would make the same decision to add tabs again in a heartbeat. We went with the Bennett sport tabs. A relatively easy install. I generally only use one tab to balance the boat a little (why a boat designer would stick to heavymarine batteries on the same side of the console where the driver sits in a small boat baffles me). The tabs truly shine when it gets choppy and I need to back down the speed and smooth out the ride. If you know how to properly use your tabs, I guarantee you'll be glad you made the decision to install them.

Mike, throw some tabs on your boat...you won't be disappointed. Remember to get the largest tab that'll work for your boat. The larger the tab, the less you'll need to deflect it for it to work.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
Sea_Bass

The decrease in mph from tabs is condition dependent and doesn't really happen they way you think. More often I gain mph and rpm from tabbing because the boat cuts through the water at a better angle.

I have a 115hp Suzuki on a 20ft panga w/ Ttop. I've hit 43mph 5900rpm Speed Over Ground when breaking in the engine. On a perfect day offshore with a full load I usually cruise 30-35. On a rougher day I cruise 20-30. On a day I shouldn't be out I tab all the way down, get on plane, and cut the waves head on going 12-20. Following rough sea I tab all the way up, and have the boat surf on top over the waves. This summer there were a few days we were running 38mph to the spots.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
SJ_Spearo

That's awesome. I think ill have to add that to the project list. While out this weekend, I experimented with shifting some weight forward to change the ride characteristics. It definitely helped. I think im going to move the console forward about 12-18" and install a 40 gallon fuel tank in front of it. Then possibly build a coffin box around that for storage. That should help with the ride problem and lack of useful storage space. Also fuel capacity will increase. With the tabs, I should be able to improve the usability of the boat significantly